Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Elias

Rumors are sometimes too short-sighted. Just because there are no plans for a Coco overlay now doesn’t mean it’s dead. Disney can’t make all the changes in EPCOT in 2-years. Maybe we’ll hear about a Coco overlay at D23 2021 or 2023. One thing we all know is no Disney park will ever be complete and it seems like more IP is the plan. So a Coco overlay in the Mexico pavilion one day is very possible. Just not now. The on again/off again Mary Poppins attraction rumor went on for years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rumors are sometimes too short-sighted. Just because there are no plans for a Coco overlay now doesn’t mean it’s dead. Disney can’t make all the changes in EPCOT in 2-years. Maybe we’ll hear about a Coco overlay at D23 2021 or 2023. One thing we all know is no Disney park will ever be complete and it seems like more IP is the plan. So a Coco overlay in the Mexico pavilion one day is very possible. Just not now. The on again/off again Mary Poppins attraction rumor went on for years.

Nothing dies if there is a direct angle to additional profits...

The question is a coco overlay on a flat boat ride the way to that?

Elias

But compared to other movies released today...who get to $500 mil overseas without breaking a sweat?

Not good.

We could pull a ton of examples...but it’s gonna say what I’m telling you here.

Solo made $400 and was a write down because of higher production and marketing costs...which means Mary poppins wasn’t too far away.
There really isn’t a true correlation between box office and the viability of an IP attraction. Splash Mountain is based on a film from the 1940’s that Disney refuses to re-release...and it remains a very popular attraction today. The new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is based on the originals 1937 Disney IP film. Tron is coming to Magic Kingdom, based on a film franchise that was at best, a modest success.

The question should be, would the IP make a quality attraction? Otherwise, we wouldn’t have Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. The key is making a quality attraction by investing with an appropriate budget. A great IP can be a failure in the parks if they attraction is poorly conceived. I’d say that is the case with the Little Mermaid attractions in California and Florida. It is a poorly executed attraction based on a fabulous IP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There really isn’t a true correlation between box office and the viability of an IP attraction. Splash Mountain is based on a film from the 1940’s that Disney refuses to re-release...and it remains a very popular attraction today. The new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is based on the originals 1937 Disney IP film. Tron is coming to Magic Kingdom, based on a film franchise that was at best, a modest success.

The question should be, would the IP make a quality attraction? Otherwise, we wouldn’t have Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride. The key is making a quality attraction by investing with an appropriate budget. A great IP can be a failure in the parks if they attraction is poorly conceived. I’d say that is the case with the Little Mermaid attractions in California and Florida. It is a poorly executed attraction based on a fabulous IP.
I’m aware that in the past Disney used less popular IP.

None of those people are around anymore...most are dead.

I think Mary poppins is good because of the 1964 and it’s still visible presence to Disney.

Mary Poppins: the reboot did not really Succeed.
The two can be mutually exclusive.

Sir_Cliff

Which is why the decision to move forward is curious...

I think the best reason I saw is the tie to the classic movie...the aborted reboot franchise mostly ignored

(Ps...it was a REALLY bad week for the defenders of the shield all in all...best go let the sleeping dog lie in my bed 😎)
I also find it quite curious that, from the looks of the concept art, they're at least tying the new film into it. For some reason, Bob Chapek making a reference to the new film at D23 in his inimitable style is burned into my brain: "And as Mary would say, can you imagine that?"

At least initially, it did surprisingly poorly on DVD/Blu-ray considering that a lot of us seem to think it was a more solid film than the box office suggested. I guess, though, it is a franchise so maybe they figure they can find a market for the new one over time piggy backing on the success of the original.

Elias

I also find it quite curious that, from the looks of the concept art, they're at least tying the new film into it. For some reason, Bob Chapek making a reference to the new film at D23 in his inimitable style is burned into my brain: "And as Mary would say, can you imagine that?"

At least initially, it did surprisingly poorly on DVD/Blu-ray considering that a lot of us seem to think it was a more solid film than the box office suggested. I guess, though, it is a franchise so maybe they figure they can find a market for the new one over time piggy backing on the success of the original.
Everyone keeps talking about how Coco and Mary Poppins underperformed at the box office but the existing Mexico attraction is based on a Donald Duck travel log from the 1940’s. Not the most popular IP.

The question is, will Disney add an IP anywhere they can and if so, in Mexico Coco is the only choice.

Timothy_Q

Disney fans: Ugh Disney only cares about Frozen, Star Wars, Marvel and Toy Story nowadays. If a movie doesn't make a billion dollars, Disney just ignores it.

Disney: Here's Tron, Ratatouille, Moana, Mary Poppins and Coco

Disney fans: BuT nOnE oF ThoSe MoVieS MaDe a BilLion DoLlars, ThEy DoN't DeSerVe to Be iN tHe PaRks

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
There's an entire aisle dedicated to Day of the Dead at Walmart this Halloween. I know Target is getting in on the sugar skull themed stuff too. And you have places like World Market and Kirklands, etc that have been doing more to incorporate Dia De La Muertos theming for years. I've definitely seen an increase in offering more than just rubber masks and foam hanging ghosts and witches.

Why do I say all this? Because there has to be a Disney executive that eventually walks by all this stuff and thinks "Dang! We should really sell more Coco stuff in our stores and parks And maybe we should expand Coco's presence in the Mexico Pavilion"

Mike S

There's an entire aisle dedicated to Day of the Dead at Walmart this Halloween. I know Target is getting in on the sugar skull themed stuff too. And you have places like World Market and Kirklands, etc that have been doing more to incorporate Dia De La Muertos theming for years. I've definitely seen an increase in offering more than just rubber masks and foam hanging ghosts and witches.

Why do I say all this? Because there has to be a Disney executive that eventually walks by all this stuff and thinks "Dang! We should really sell more Coco stuff in our stores and parks And maybe we should expand Coco's presence in the Mexico Pavilion"
Increased chances of that now that a Target is coming to WDW :hilarious:

Kman101

You'd hope!

I can see why they held off doing this now. I just hope they revisit it (unfortunately this is something, like the Figment re-do, that can keep getting 'pushed off'). I haven't been around for about a week so I need to catch up on the threads. Have I missed anything in regards to this?

And to be fair, they do have a very small line of themed merchandise for Halloween but I don't see any of it flying off the shelves (though it will at the outlet ... Disney simply charges too much for merchandise. They'd go through a lot more items if they decreased the prices by about $10-20. Those Mickey 90th plush? $10 bucks now and the outlets can barely keep the shelves stocked)

erasure fan1

I can see why they held off doing this now. I just hope they revisit it
I can't. The movie, if you watched the extras on the Blu-ray, was inspired by the ride. So of all the IP shoehorning, this is one that actually would make sense. Maybe that's why they haven't done it. It makes too much sense. Lol

Disney simply charges too much for merchandise. They'd go through a lot more items if they decreased the prices by about $10-20. Those Mickey 90th plush? $10 bucks now and the outlets can barely keep the shelves stocked)
I just had this conversation with my wife. She was watching one of those stupid, hey let me shop for you at the outlet store, videos on YouTube. As they talked about the original prices, I said you would think that if you could sell a significantly higher percentage of your merch at slightly lower price, it would be a win. I haven't bought a t-shirt in I would guess 15yrs or so. I refuse to spend $35 to $40 on a mediocre quality shirt.

Sir_Cliff

Sorry to bump the thread as there's no news on the Mexico Pavilion rumour (which seems pretty dead), but it is interesting that they're using Coco to advertise DLR at the moment with a seasonal offering:

I guess if they find people are keen about Coco offerings at the parks they could come back to this in some way.

_caleb

Seems like Day of the Dead decorations are becoming more popular around here, too-due in large part to Coco. I know it’s now on the back burner for Epcot, but I’m in favor of a Coco tie-in for the Mexico pavilion. The Gran Fiesta Tour needs to be updated anyway!

There’s a video of Anthony Gonzalez, the voice of Miguel in Coco, singing with his mariachi band. He’s really good! With his voice getting deeper, I’m not sure how they would do any new recordings for a ride, though.

WDW Guru

If there's a dollar to be made then they'd do it. It seems like most successful Disney films are getting sequels or live action remakes.

Pixar actually wont be creating any sequels for the near future. They realized what made their movies special was original story telling and that pushing out sequels was not their strong suit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom