Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sir_Cliff

There's many rides in Epcot that don't fit "edutainment." One of which being the hyped GoTG... and Frozen... and Rat... and our current Grand Fiesta Tour... and so on... I'm not really sure what "edutainment" would be represented with Poppins... but this isn't really the thread for that.

When I think about what could be created with the visuals and storyline of Coco, and then what we have now. It's a real shame.
Yeah, I'm also super disappointed about this decision. Here they have an IP genuinely based on the culture of the country represented that was beloved in that country to the point of becoming the highest-grossing film of all-time and that also has loads of potential for translating into an attraction... yet Disney will stick with a Donald Duck attraction for Mexico.

I love Donald and the current attraction is fine, but it does seem a shame that with the IP inundation of Epcot the only one they've decided against is the one that would make the most sense for the park.

disneygeek90

Yeah, I'm also super disappointed about this decision. Here they have an IP genuinely based on the culture of the country represented that was beloved in that country to the point of becoming the highest-grossing film of all-time and that also has loads of potential for translating into an attraction... yet Disney will stick with a Donald Duck attraction for Mexico.

I love Donald and the current attraction is fine, but it does seem a shame that with the IP inundation of Epcot the only one they've decided against is the one that would make the most sense for the park.
I think knowing what could be now actually makes what is there more cringy.

Kman101

Summed it up well. I love Donald too but this could have been an excellent fit. Again, of course they shelve it.

I mean ... ugh. Who is making these calls?

The last sentence of your post is exactly why I'm a bit baffled they aren't going with it. I get the money could probably be better used elsewhere so we don't get a half-hearted overlay in Mexico, but I mean (and really, no reason they can't fund this too imo) ... this seems like such a no brainer with the IP mandate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not surprised to hear something related to Coco is dead. If only we had taken a picture of the plans...

I like the PM function. Do you like the PM function? It's great for sending secret pictures! :cautious:

I believe you missed the allusion to the plot of Coco.

1523034554940.png

huwar18

Personally I don't think Brave would have been the edutainment ride many would have hoped for, but I of course have no details on that. In theory it could have been good but I feel like we would have got Merida's BRAVE Adventure where you shoot at targets like Midway Mania and Buzz.

But yeah, it's disappointing about Coco. A natural fit so of course they shelve it.

I agree, I am disappointed that Coco is shelved. I love the Three Caballeros. It is one of my favorite Disney movies. However, Coco would have been a great edition. It must be too much of a natural fit for Disney to add it. :p That would have been a perfect fit an IP ride that could have mixed in some edutainment.

Kman101

I agree, I am disappointed that Coco is shelved. I love the Three Caballeros. It is one of my favorite Disney movies. However, Coco would have been a great edition. It must be too much of a natural fit for Disney to add it. :p That would have been a perfect fit an IP ride that could have mixed in some edutainment.

I think Big Hero 6 could be used in a similar way but yet ... nothing but a meet and greet.

Sir_Cliff

I think knowing what could be now actually makes what is there more cringy.
I very much feel the same way.

The only thing that I can imagine making Disney return to their plans for bringing Coco to the Mexico pavilion is that if people who connected with the film not only get disappointed that it is not represented anywhere at WDW, but that their culture is instead represented by a meet and greet by Donald Duck in a giant sombrero and serape. That might begin to raise some eyebrows!

britain

This is what I would like to know, as well. It seems like such a no-brainer and certainly would be more popular than Gran Fiesta Tour.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Coco's relation to dias de los muertos. It's a big seasonal opportunity. Why spend big on a redo when you could have something small like a little Coco festival at the Mexico pavillion sweetening the holiday offerings.

They could do an even cheaper temporary overlay of the boat ride but by doing it seasonally, it theoretically becomes more special and more of a draw. I'd bet Haunted Mansion Holiday wouldn't cause so much buzz and sell so much merch at DL if it were a permanent replacement to the regular Haunted Mansion.

And they'd get to say that they are 'preserving' 3 Cabs for the fans this way. :rolleyes:

ppete1975

I wonder if where the ride is might have affected it. It has a rather long queue, but once you get past that (we know how new rides are, plus it probably wouldn't be too high capacity) you are in a store/restaurant. So I wonder if a new popular ride would fit well in that space.

disneygeek90

I wonder if it has anything to do with Coco's relation to dias de los muertos. It's a big seasonal opportunity. Why spend big on a redo when you could have something small like a little Coco festival at the Mexico pavillion sweetening the holiday offerings.

They could do an even cheaper temporary overlay of the boat ride but by doing it seasonally, it theoretically becomes more special and more of a draw. I'd bet Haunted Mansion Holiday wouldn't cause so much buzz and sell so much merch at DL if it were a permanent replacement to the regular Haunted Mansion.

And they'd get to say that they are 'preserving' 3 Cabs for the fans this way. :rolleyes:
I think Epcot is already running out of room for festivals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom