Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

TP2000

Pixar Play Parade feels even sadder in DL than it did in DCA. It's absolutely shameful that it is still running, and the new "floats" don't match the rest of the parade and are dinky in comparison.

I think it's really dumb to have a lamp and a ball lead that sad old parade. The lamp is an obscure reference to an obscure corporate logo that at least 95% of Disneyland visitors won't get. And even if they got it, or it kind of triggers a memory of seeing the lamp corporate logo in the title sequences of a Pixar movie, why would they care about a desk lamp?

The person or people who approved spending money on this, in an attempt to suck up to Pixar executives up in Emeryville, needs to seriously question their storytelling skills.

Watch-the-Pixar-Lamp-lead-the-new-Pixar-Play-Parade-on-a-Pixar-Fest-Scavenger-Hunt-at-Disneyland.jpeg

That's just so dumb. Look at the people sitting there lifelessly staring down the street waiting for the regular parade to arrive, while the random corporate lamp trundles by. Love the guy on his phone too. This photo could be a great analogy for all Disneyland visitors, looking down the street into 2019 for the real Disneyland to return.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
I think it's really dumb to have a lamp and a ball lead that sad old parade. The lamp is an obscure reference to an obscure corporate logo that at least 95% of Disneyland visitors won't get. And even if they got it, or it kind of triggers a memory of seeing the lamp corporate logo in the title sequences of a Pixar movie, why would they care about a desk lamp?

The person or people who approved spending money on this, in an attempt to suck up to Pixar executives up in Emeryville, needs to seriously question their storytelling skills.

Watch-the-Pixar-Lamp-lead-the-new-Pixar-Play-Parade-on-a-Pixar-Fest-Scavenger-Hunt-at-Disneyland.jpeg

That's just so dumb. Look at the people sitting there lifelessly staring down the street waiting for the regular parade to arrive, while the random corporate lamp trundles by. Love the guy on his phone too. This photo could be a great analogy for all Disneyland visitors, looking down the street into 2019 for the real Disneyland to return.

All this. The lamp, the ball. No one cares.

brb1006

The only one I like is the Up "float". Kevin was a nice surprise. But, like.. why is Inside Out there? The music doesn't match the rest of the parade at all. The new opening music has You Got A Friend in Me when the Toy Story unit has... the same exact song. I don't understand why they thought the majority of these changes were necessary. The Monsters University stuff was bad enough.
Mike is now motionless, he's just sitting now and not moving.

FerretAfros

Not to mention that the signage says Pixar Fest rather than Pixar Play Parade. This makes it all too easy for them to extend or revive Pixar Fest "due to popular demand", and drag the old gal out to limp down the parade route once more. But with the sign slowly rotating around the float, most guests probably won't see it anyway, so I guess it's moot.

What a dumb design. They're really overestimating how strongly people feel about "Pixar" as a brand

D

Deleted member 107043

They're really overestimating how strongly people feel about "Pixar" as a brand

I think it's the opposite: this is all designed to promote and reinforce Pixar's brand identity in front of 10 million or so mostly ready and receptive consumers over the next 4 or 5 months. Disney doesn't care if the promotional menu items at Pizza Planet aren't high quality and tasty or whether you're watching a recycled decade old parade. They are counting on enraptured Disney fans mindlessly Instagramming their disgusting hamburger pizzas while sporting a fresh pair of made-in-China rose gold mouse ears, all of which is undoubtedly happening as I type this.

So maybe we should stop assuming A) that the folks behind these decisions don't know what they're doing, B) that it's business as usual at Parks & Resorts in 2018, and C) that somehow the average Disney fan is smarter than Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuddenStorm

So maybe we should stop assuming A) that the folks behind these decisions don't know what they're doing, and B) that it's business as usual at Parks & Resorts in 2018, and C) that somehow the average Disney fan is smarter than Disney.

It's definitely easy to forget how much data Disney collects on their guests- the demographics, spending patterns, interests, and that every decision is carefully curated to exploit this.

In this case, Disneyland appeals to the local high school APer who goes after school on Fridays- they don't care about the history, thematic integrity, etc- but they love the new limited edition merch, food, overlays, etc.

SuddenStorm

The real Disneyland definitely will not be returning in 2019. If anything, it’ll be taking one of its final bows.

I think Disneyland was perfected emotionally in 1995- ever since, the park has taken hits. Star Wars Land will dramatically change the dynamic of the park, and it'll be very interesting to see how it shapes what Disneyland is 10, 20 and 30 years from now.

Californian Elitist

I think Disneyland was perfected emotionally in 1995- ever since, the park has taken hits. Star Wars Land will dramatically change the dynamic of the park, and it'll be very interesting to see how it shapes what Disneyland is 10, 20 and 30 years from now.

Yep. I fear for the park’s future and the rest of the charm and classic feels that’s left. Not looking too bright, in my opinion.

Curious Constance

Yes, I can still go to the parks and have a great time with my family. That doesn't mean I'm going to remain quiet about dumb decisions they make in the meantime. I don't have to wait until I can literally have no fun before I can start vocalizing my opinions that the decisions they are making are detrimental to the future of the parks and at the expense of decades of American history.

Last edited:

Rich T

Co
I think it's the opposite: this is all designed to promote and reinforce Pixar's brand identity in front of 10 million or so mostly ready and receptive consumers over the next 4 or 5 months. Disney doesn't care if the promotional menu items at Pizza Planet aren't high quality and tasty or whether you're watching a recycled decade old parade. They are counting on enraptured Disney fans mindlessly Instagramming their disgusting hamburger pizzas while sporting a fresh pair of made-in-China rose gold mouse ears, all of which is undoubtedly happening as I type this.

So maybe we should stop assuming A) that the folks behind these decisions don't know what they're doing, B) that it's business as usual at Parks & Resorts in 2018, and C) that somehow the average Disney fan is smarter than Disney.
Good points (especially "B"), but creating crap instead of quality doesn't sound to me like a recipe for long-time good will and loyalty. Oh, right-- For a moment I forgot the people making these decisions have no interest in any longevity beyond the current chapter in their career ladder-climb.

Rich T

Yep. I fear for the park’s future and the rest of the charm and classic feels that’s left. Not looking too bright, in my opinion.
Not too bright for long-time fans, but hopefully it'll remain a fun, worthwhile experience for upcoming generations. It'll be "Disneyland" in name only, though. I'm sad about this, but I'm sad about a lot of things in modern culture. At least the park still exists in some form.
(EDIT) For me, the park's still worth visiting as long as it keystones remain: A recognizable Fantasyland, The Castle, The Mark Twain, PoC and HM and Main St.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom