Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

Disney Analyst

Disagree. I just visited the park today and I heard a lot of people pointing out "how cute" the lamp was in the Pixar Pier concept art as I was waiting in the Cove Bar. And I doubt they were complimenting what they thought was an IKEA ad.

Of course this is all anecdotal but I think an important factor people aren't factoring is a generational issue. I feel that it's a lot of the older users here who feel Pixar movies don't carry the same weight as Disney movies or that "90% of Disneyland visitors won't recognize the Luxo Lamp as a Pixar logo" and as a result really hate Pixar Fest in terms of Pixar brand recognition (again, nothing to do with the people criticizing the cheap overlays but rather the people who are questioning why Pixar is getting a 'fest' in the first place.) There was an entire generation that was raised on Pixar films. Pixar has been the gold standard of animation for the last twenty years. There was an entire generation raised on Toy Story, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Cars and Finding Dory. For them, Pixar has defined their childhood. As a 24 year-old male I can objectively say that Pixar has had a more significant impact on my childhood than Disney films did and there are many like me who would say the same. Obviously I did not escape Disney's marketing and I fell in love with Disneyland but that has more to do with Walt's dedication to building an immersive and unforgettable park rather than my love for Disney Princesses.

At this point I'm just ranting and this doesn't have anything to do with your post anymore but anyone hoping Pixar Fest/Pier is going to tank is going to be disappointed. I saw an 18-30 demographic who ate up everything Pixar Fest was throwing at them. I also witnessed a bunch of toddlers dressed up as Buzz Lightyear, wearing Lighting McQueen hats and Finding Nemo shirts. I even caved in and got a Mike Wazowski sipper. Did I do it because I support the Alien Planet tarp signage? No, but because Monsters Inc. was released when I was 8 years old and I fell in love with it. Disney markets to nostalgia and this is why both Pixar Pier and Fest are going to make Disney a boat-load of money.

Summed it up perfectly. As a 27 year old I grew up with both Disney and Pixar. They both had huge impacts on me

TROR

I am going to say, and I don't know if y'all agree, but other than Inside Out and Coco, every movie since Toy Story 3 that Pixar has put out has been unenjoyable and I'm really afraid The Incredibles 2 will be another situation of Finding Dory for me. I hope the removal of Lasseter helps revive the studio into making great movies again, but I'm afraid it's only going to have the opposite effect.

TragicMike

I am going to say, and I don't know if y'all agree, but other than Inside Out and Coco, every movie since Toy Story 3 that Pixar has put out has been unenjoyable and I'm really afraid The Incredibles 2 will be another situation of Finding Dory for me. I hope the removal of Lasseter helps revive the studio into making great movies again, but I'm afraid it's only going to have the opposite effect.
Pixar revolutionized the animation industry both in terms of storytelling (creating beautiful stories with little to no dialogue with Up's intro and Wall-E along with breaking the princess trope with Brave for examples) and technological advancements but it definitely feels like they've been coasting lately. Every now and then they'll put out an Inside Out or Coco to show you they still got it but they've been milking their cash cows in Cars and Toy Story a bit too much. What do you do when you've broken all the rules? The studio needs some sort of spark for sure.

TROR

Pixar revolutionized the animation industry both in terms of storytelling (creating beautiful stories with little to no dialogue with Up's intro and Wall-E along with breaking the princess trope with Brave for examples) and technological advancements but it definitely feels like they've been coasting lately. Every now and then they'll put out an Inside Out or Coco to show you they still got it but they've been milking their cash cows in Cars and Toy Story a bit too much. What do you do when you've broken all the rules? The studio needs some sort of spark for sure.
I feel like people forget how bad the rest of UP is just because of how great the first 10 or so minutes are.

TROR

UP is great as a whole. Thank you and goodbye.
Absolutely wrong. The beginning is wonderful storytelling, but the rest is a nonsense story about a fat kid being annoying, a talking dog, a giant bird, flying dogs, and old men. If not for that opening, I honestly don't think UP would be as talked about.

DanielBB8

Lasseter was Pixar’s Walt Disney so his removal impacts the content. He was there since the beginning. Just because recent movies don’t work for you doesn’t mean much. Tastes change. You don’t have to like everything that Disney and Pixar puts out.

Rich T

Disagree. I just visited the park today and I heard a lot of people pointing out "how cute" the lamp was in the Pixar Pier concept art as I was waiting in the Cove Bar. And I doubt they were complimenting what they thought was an IKEA ad.

Of course this is all anecdotal but I think an important factor people aren't factoring is a generational issue. I feel that it's a lot of the older users here who feel Pixar movies don't carry the same weight as Disney movies or that "90% of Disneyland visitors won't recognize the Luxo Lamp as a Pixar logo" and as a result really hate Pixar Fest in terms of Pixar brand recognition (again, nothing to do with the people criticizing the cheap overlays but rather the people who are questioning why Pixar is getting a 'fest' in the first place.) There was an entire generation that was raised on Pixar films. Pixar has been the gold standard of animation for the last twenty years. There was an entire generation raised on Toy Story, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Cars and Finding Dory. For them, Pixar has defined their childhood. As a 24 year-old male I can objectively say that Pixar has had a more significant impact on my childhood than Disney films did and there are many like me who would say the same. Obviously I did not escape Disney's marketing and I fell in love with Disneyland but that has more to do with Walt's dedication to building an immersive and unforgettable park rather than my love for Disney Princesses.

At this point I'm just ranting and this doesn't have anything to do with your post anymore but anyone hoping Pixar Fest/Pier is going to tank is going to be disappointed. I saw an 18-30 demographic who ate up everything Pixar Fest was throwing at them. I also witnessed a bunch of toddlers dressed up as Buzz Lightyear, wearing Lighting McQueen hats and Finding Nemo shirts. I even caved in and got a Mike Wazowski sipper. Did I do it because I support the Alien Planet tarp signage? No, but because Monsters Inc. was released when I was 8 years old and I fell in love with it. Disney markets to nostalgia and this is why both Pixar Pier and Fest are going to make Disney a boat-load of money.
If the lamp isn't well-animated, it's a lifeless prop. As I know you know, the masterful animation of that thing is what makes it lovable. I'm a fossil, so Pixar wasn't part of my childhood. But Ratatouille is probably one of my top 3 favorite films (of any kind).

Ismael Flores

still haven't been to the resort to see how most of this Pixar Fest overlay looks like but so far it seems that all the online social media sites are full of videos and pictures. It is interesting to see how guests are actually hyped and excited of this summer promotion which is almost the complete opposite of how some of the members feel on the fan sites.

Makes me wonder how many of these same people featured happily walking around with Pixar popcorn buckets and pins are same that disapprove of this promotion online.

Another thing that i have noticed is the amount of product available not only in Disney but in places like Target. It seems that in the last four days i have seen at least a Dozen of people walking around wearing Pixar related shirts. seems like Pixar is to the new generation what Walt Disney animation is to the older generation. If their marketing continues to go full steam for the next couple months i think that TDA might have another hit for this summer and Pixar pier might become quite a busy area

dweezil78

While you all are sitting here spending days on end poo-poo'ing a silly seasonal promotion, I went to the park yesterday and had a great time. Crowds were low (no joke!), weather was perfect, and Disneyland was looking great as always. Pixar Fest was there lurking in the background, but not at all in-your-face other than the aforementioned color clashing bunting on Main St. and the bad signage on Pizza Port (they did add the second alien btw -- I forgot to take a pic!!). If you wanted to take part in all the offerings you could, if you didn't, you did your thing like you'd normally do like I did and barely noticed any of it going on.

At the end of the day, collectibles aside, this stuff is primarily aimed at the little ones. The character meet and greets, entertainment, parades, the face painting, special activities, etc. Sure there's some kitschy fun little food items around that's fun to try if you're so inclined, but by and large, it was fairly unobtrusive and nothing that was going to spoil your day or fun.

Have there been better seasonal offerings? Maybe, I guess.... really depends on your personal tastes. People bagged on Season of the Force, Summer of Heroes, etc...so it's not like this is really different. You either dig this kinda thing or you don't. And unless you're under 13, chances are, you probably don't.

For what it's worth, those who were partaking in it, were having a great time.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Mini Review:

So, a late meeting in OC last night prompted a stop at the park to catch the fireworks show atrocity in person. Wow.

It is easily the most thrown-together, disjointed, lackluster fireworks/multimedia presentation I have ever seen at Disneyland (or any Disney park for that matter). No heart behind it. It literally felt like an ADD kid was running an iPod of Pixar movies and just kept hitting the "next" button at his pleasure.

For the most part, the crowd was "into it". Though by that, I mean they "ooooh"ed and "aahhhh"ed at just about any dazzling display of light. Which by the way, wasn't much. It really doesn't do much as a pyrotechnic display. It's mostly colored-fireworks-to-match-the-movie that serves to mildly distract from the hard to distinguish projections going on.

By far the biggest reaction was during Coco. But even then, the moment is so brief and so random amidst the rest of the show. Though I will say, the pop-up characters on the Main St. roofs were a nice touch. That's probably the highest praise I can give it.

The kid next to me on his dad's shoulders kept shouting out the names of the movies as they appeared and the gay couple in front of me kept making out. So...there you have it.

I will add too, that the bunting doesn't look nearly as bad during the night because the yellow lights along Main St. mute the yellow fabric, making it seem less harsh. Once the show ended though the parks cleared out (they might not have been that crowded to begin with being a random Wednesday) and I was able to do Buzz, Pirates twice, and Haunted in about an hour.

Rich T

I feel like people forget how bad the rest of UP is just because of how great the first 10 or so minutes are.
I know Up doesn't appeal to everyone... but...

Up is a fantastic movie. Funny, unique and unpredictable with a sweet message about finding purpose after loss and the dangers of obsession. It's not my favorite Pixar film (Ratatouille gets that nod), but it's a wonderful movie.

Stevek

Summed it up perfectly. As a 27 year old I grew up with both Disney and Pixar. They both had huge impacts on me

I'm 51, my wife and I saw the early Pixar movies and I've taken my daughters to every one released over the past 18 or so years. They've had a tremendous impact on our family and Pixar was always "Disney" for us so I've never really had an issue utilizing the properties in the parks any more than Snow White, Pinocchio, etc. That being said, I would much rather Disney build great attractions that aren't tied to IP like Pirates (was), JC, HM, SM, Matterhorn, BTM, etc. While tastes in movies and characters will come and go, a ride that is unique in and of itself is less likely to suffer from folks changing tastes.

__r.jr

I'm 51, my wife and I saw the early Pixar movies and I've taken my daughters to every one released over the past 18 or so years. They've had a tremendous impact on our family and Pixar was always "Disney" for us so I've never really had an issue utilizing the properties in the parks any more than Snow White, Pinocchio, etc. That being said, I would much rather Disney build great attractions that aren't tied to IP like Pirates (was), JC, HM, SM, Matterhorn, BTM, etc. While tastes in movies and characters will come and go, a ride that is unique in and of itself is less likely to suffer from folks changing tastes.

Superficially, many of the great Disney attractions are based on "Disney" movies but why did Walt choose to make those movies? Because he knew that the stories he was telling were all based on classic literature. And the reason this literature was compelling was that it featured stories that tapped into well-recognized archetypes and our collective unconscious.

Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Tom and Huck, even the original Submarine Voyage, all were drawn from stories that haven't just stood the test of a few years; some have survived for centuries. Now I'm not suggesting that Pixar stories don't touch on some very real subconscious imagery; they do since a whole generation has grown up and resonates today with them. However it is yet to be determined if these are the kinds of stories that will be passed down, generation to generation, the likes of Brothers Grimm's fairy tales or Mark Twain's works. Will we one day see "Nemo" or "Cars" taught in high schools, as Huck Finn or Grimm's works?

Artistically speaking Pixar has produced a long string of fantastic movies with great characters and settings. But can the same thing be said about the attractions based on those same films? The areas, rides, entertainment, shows, parades and promotional events? Some more than others, exceptions even, but for the most part, Disney within the last two decades has a history in concept and in execution of mismanaging Pixar assets within the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom