Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

brb1006

@TP2000 were proposal photos and couples being a bit to sweet this common at WDW and DL back in the 80's and 90's? Because this must had started in the late 2000's.

FerretAfros

Although the Pixarmonic Orchestra is far better than I expected, both it and the fireworks highlight one of the biggest flaws with using a wide range of Pixar films as the basis for entertainment: Pixar just doesn't have a very good catalog of music, and the films don't combine to create a cohesive unit.

Only TS1 and Coco have songs integrated into the films themselves, and those songs are either mostly forgotten or too new to have a real following. The scores are quite serviceable for all the films, but with a few key exceptions (Up, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and maaaaaybe a bug's life) none of them are particularly memorable or iconic. And there's only so many ways you can make an end credits song by Randy Newman sound different from the one you just played moments earlier.

One of the best creative decisions for the Pixar Play Parade was to (mostly) ditch the music from the films, and instead use vaguely-related pop songs for each of the units. Combined with the Countdown to Fun theme (borrowed from a HKDL parade), it gives it a fresh and lively atmosphere that leaves you with all sorts of catchy earworms. I honestly think the music design for that parade is my second favorite, only to the original MSEP.

Similar to WDI's recent push for one-to-one theme park copies of film locations, the new Pixar Fest entertainment has all been very literal recreations of what we already know. Instead of something fresh and new, we get yet another rehash of You've Got A Friend In Me (which objectively isn't even a good song, and is way more overplayed than Let It Go) and a running joke about the chewing gum jingle from Inside Out that nobody remembers. IP in the parks has always been strongest when it's used as a jumping off point for something new, rather than a retread of what we already know.

How hard would it have been to do a small-scale improv show of "Put That Thing Back Where It Came From, Or So Help Me" with audience participation? Or a cooking demonstration with Linguini? Or some sort of training session with Merida or the Incredibles? I'm not a show designer, but there has to be something more compelling than yet-another-medley of those same couple songs that pop up all the time.

By trying to cram all of Pixar into a single cohesive unit, it only makes it more apparent how disparate their films are thematically. It does a disservice to the stuff that's actually good, and creates something that's less than the sum of its parts. To paraphrase Mrs. Banks in Mary Poppins: "Though we adore [Pixar films] individually, we agree that, as a group, they're rather stupid."

DanielBB8

Each Pixar segment on their own is quite powerful so the sum of the parts work quite effectively. To say they are not isn’t fair to how well produced the fireworks show is or how well done the parades are. What’s cohesive isn’t the music. It’s the fireworks, multi-media presentation, and the new large props. Ditching the music? Yeah, that’ll fix it for sure.

VJ

Pixar Play Parade feels even sadder in DL than it did in DCA. It's absolutely shameful that it is still running, and the new "floats" don't match the rest of the parade and are dinky in comparison.
The only one I like is the Up "float". Kevin was a nice surprise. But, like.. why is Inside Out there? The music doesn't match the rest of the parade at all. The new opening music has You Got A Friend in Me when the Toy Story unit has... the same exact song. I don't understand why they thought the majority of these changes were necessary. The Monsters University stuff was bad enough.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The lamp float looks like garbage. Who built the base? A preschool?
126513-125428.jpg

"U wanna say dat to my face, lady???"

Stevek

The same thing happens at Walt Disney World as well. So many marriage proposal photos taken in the middle of Main Street and Cinderella Castle I seen that I think I might throw up because of how sugary sweet they are.
102dhtfx9rpy.jpg
o0zte1O.jpg
My wife would have kicked me in the nads if I proposed to her in front of the castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom