Pixar Fest - Reviews and Thoughts, plus Soft Opening News

D

Deleted member 107043

but creating crap instead of quality doesn't sound to me like a recipe for long-time good will and loyalty.

One would think, yet the place has been busting at the seams with people almost daily for decades now.

mickEblu

She might have shanked me and left me to bleed to death if I did that.

Her exact words were “can I get back to you after I handle my business? That corn dog wants out.”

It was a beautiful moment.

Wait. It was a while ago. I think she might have said. “Let’s discuss the pros and cons when I get out of the bathroom. I’m about to unleash the Brown Bear. And I’m not taking Brer.”

Something like that.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Not too bright for long-time fans, but hopefully it'll remain a fun, worthwhile experience for upcoming generations. It'll be "Disneyland" in name only, though. I'm sad about this, but I'm sad about a lot of things in modern culture. At least the park still exists in some form.
(EDIT) For me, the park's still worth visiting as long as it keystones remain: A recognizable Fantasyland, The Castle, The Mark Twain, PoC and HM and Main St.)

Most definitely. Disneyland will always be entertaining for millions of people.

I am happy some of the things I love are still there. However, I have zero interest in getting caught up in any Star Wars Land crowds and hype, which is the main reason as to why I’m letting my pass lapse. I’ll return at some point.

One former imagineer saw pics of the floats and commented "Wow, all of these look poor"

Would have to agree, they really are quite weak compared to what Disney has shown they can do.

I would agree with the imagineer and you. The work is really pathetic. No effort whatsoever.

Phroobar

The Internet said DCA 1.0 sucked therefore crowds stayed away for the first couple of years.
The Internet keeps saying that Disneyland is a wonderful place therefore large crowds decent there.
If the Internet says Star Wars land will be packed and we should stay away, the new land will be empty and considered a DCA failure.

Stevek

I think it's the opposite: this is all designed to promote and reinforce Pixar's brand identity in front of 10 million or so mostly ready and receptive consumers over the next 4 or 5 months. Disney doesn't care if the promotional menu items at Pizza Planet aren't high quality and tasty or whether you're watching a recycled decade old parade. They are counting on enraptured Disney fans mindlessly Instagramming their disgusting hamburger pizzas while sporting a fresh pair of made-in-China rose gold mouse ears, all of which is undoubtedly happening as I type this.

So maybe we should stop assuming A) that the folks behind these decisions don't know what they're doing, B) that it's business as usual at Parks & Resorts in 2018, and C) that somehow the average Disney fan is smarter than Disney.
Ultimately, I don't think it will matter. If people are standing in long lines for a pineapple donut because it's new, they'll eat anything Disneyland/DCA feeds them.

D

Deleted member 107043

Ultimately, I don't think it will matter.

It matters only in that we are witnessing a somewhat dramatic transformation of what a Disney theme park experience means, at least in Anaheim. It had been in a gradual build up mode for at least a decade, but in the past couple of years the rate of change and adoption of new IP experiences has rapidly increased with almost no concern for each park's original mission or aspirational goals. If you're exhausted by Star Wars now just wait until next year.

If people are standing in long lines for a pineapple donut because it's new, they'll eat anything Disneyland/DCA feeds them.

Yup. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It matters only in that we are witnessing a somewhat dramatic transformation of what a Disney theme park experience means, at least in Anaheim. It had been a gradual build up for at least a decade, but in the past couple of years the rate of change and adoption of new IP experiences has rapidly increased with almost no concern for each park's original mission or aspirational goals. If you're exhausted by Star Wars now just wait until next year.

Yup. :facepalm:
Now selling along Main St: "Tiki Room Tide Pods". They're this summer's must-have for the discerning millenial-palate.

Disneylover152

Anyone else notice that the UP and Inside Out floats are at a similar size to the Alice in Wonderland bugs from the Main Street Electrical Parade? Coincidence? I think not...

1524098590413.png

1524098623583.png

DanielBB8

Ultimately, I don't think it will matter. If people are standing in long lines for a pineapple donut because it's new, they'll eat anything Disneyland/DCA feeds them.
The Dole Whip Donut has nothing to do with Pixar Fest so the crowd reaction is completely natural. Disney knows what they are doing and it shows. This slow build up to Pixar Fest with foods, entertainment, and Pixar Pier will surprise everyone who had doubts.

And BTW: “A flush global economy in 2017 helped push tourism spending in Orange County to a new record, according to the Orange County Visitors Association.

Tourism-related spending rose for the fourth straight year to $12.5 billion, according to numbers released April 11 by the OCVA.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/...ord-12-5-billion-paper-shredding-event-ahead/

Stevek

The Dole Whip Donut has nothing to do with Pixar Fest so the crowd reaction is completely natural. Disney knows what they are doing and it shows. This slow build up to Pixar Fest with foods, entertainment, and Pixar Pier will surprise everyone who had doubts.

And BTW: “A flush global economy in 2017 helped push tourism spending in Orange County to a new record, according to the Orange County Visitors Association.

Tourism-related spending rose for the fourth straight year to $12.5 billion, according to numbers released April 11 by the OCVA.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/...ord-12-5-billion-paper-shredding-event-ahead/
My point is that this fanbase becomes rabid, insanely at times, for ANYTHING Disney does at the parks. Rose Gold Ears, Belle Rose Cups, Donuts, Red/Blue lightsaber churros, parades, fireworks, tiki mugs, popcorn buckets...it doesn’t matter. Disney knows the DL fanbase better than any of us do.

TragicMike

But out of context (that is, *not* at the start of a Pixar film), the lamp just looks like an ad for Office Depot.
Disagree. I just visited the park today and I heard a lot of people pointing out "how cute" the lamp was in the Pixar Pier concept art as I was waiting in the Cove Bar. And I doubt they were complimenting what they thought was an IKEA ad.

Of course this is all anecdotal but I think an important factor people aren't factoring is a generational issue. I feel that it's a lot of the older users here who feel Pixar movies don't carry the same weight as Disney movies or that "90% of Disneyland visitors won't recognize the Luxo Lamp as a Pixar logo" and as a result really hate Pixar Fest in terms of Pixar brand recognition (again, nothing to do with the people criticizing the cheap overlays but rather the people who are questioning why Pixar is getting a 'fest' in the first place.) There was an entire generation that was raised on Pixar films. Pixar has been the gold standard of animation for the last twenty years. There was an entire generation raised on Toy Story, Monsters Inc., The Incredibles, Cars and Finding Dory. For them, Pixar has defined their childhood. As a 24 year-old male I can objectively say that Pixar has had a more significant impact on my childhood than Disney films did and there are many like me who would say the same. Obviously I did not escape Disney's marketing and I fell in love with Disneyland but that has more to do with Walt's dedication to building an immersive and unforgettable park rather than my love for Disney Princesses.

At this point I'm just ranting and this doesn't have anything to do with your post anymore but anyone hoping Pixar Fest/Pier is going to tank is going to be disappointed. I saw an 18-30 demographic who ate up everything Pixar Fest was throwing at them. I also witnessed a bunch of toddlers dressed up as Buzz Lightyear, wearing Lighting McQueen hats and Finding Nemo shirts. I even caved in and got a Mike Wazowski sipper. Did I do it because I support the Alien Planet tarp signage? No, but because Monsters Inc. was released when I was 8 years old and I fell in love with it. Disney markets to nostalgia and this is why both Pixar Pier and Fest are going to make Disney a boat-load of money.

TROR

Monsters Inc. was the first movie I saw in theaters. I remember going to McDonald's afterwards and they had Happy Meal toys of the movie. I believe I still have a few of those toys.

TragicMike

Monsters Inc. was the first movie I saw in theaters. I remember going to McDonald's afterwards and they had Happy Meal toys of the movie. I believe I still have a few of those toys.
Haha, I think I remember getting a Henry Waternoose toy and being so bummed out I didn't get Sully or Mike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom