'Pirates' Sequel Earns Record $132 Million Debut

Anthony95

well ticket prices has gone up... people want more bang for their buck ... at least i do

and if these kids can spend hours on a freakin video game, they can tarry their behinds anywhere, and in this case, a movie theater, and watch, of all things, POTC for 2.5 hours.

18mil on a monday? SEE... i purposely went on a monday... got there 30 minutes earlier... peeked in, EMPTY seats. 10 minutes later after getting popcorn and soda - FULL THEATRE. i was mad! lol (but we were lucky enough to get the seats we wanted!)

dxwwf3

Unfortunately it seems all attention spans go out the window when it comes to theme parks. You would think you were asking people to run a marathon when you tell them about a 18-minute CircleVison 360 film or God forbid an attraction the length of Horizons or World of Motion.

AliciaLuvzDizne

Legacy said:
Nothing about this country makes much sense anymore.

I blame the Red Sox. Everything in life was predictable until they won that blasted World Series.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:sohappy:

mind if i quote ya in my signature(s)?

SGT623

For those playing along...

Tuesday - $15,731,919
Wednesday - $14,154,725
To Date - $183,661,469

Looks to make $200,000,000 in a week, plus no real competition opening this week. Looking to be a $400 Mil movie

SGT623

Another great weekend!
$62,186,000

That makes the running total:
$258,205,000

...and put it at #34 on the all time biggest money maker list and counting.

CTXRover

Brief box office update:

Monday: 7.9 million
Tuesday: 7.5 million

Total: 273.7 million

Both Monday and Tuesday numbers were the highest "non-holiday 2nd Monday and Tuesday" for any film. It continues to play strongly even after opening so huge.

CTXRover

BO update:

Wed: 6.44 million
Thurs: 6.45 million
Friday: 9.95 million

Total to date: 296.6 million

Pirates will cross the 300 million mark in 16 days, faster than any other film. It took the first Pirates film 101 days to reach the same milestone. In fact, DMC will also outgross the total that the previous Pirates film made by the end of today, its 16th day of release.

Based on Friday numbers, Pirates will hold the #1 spot for a third straight weekend, despite four more newcomers this weekend.

disneypearl

CTXRover said:
BO update:

Wed: 6.44 million
Thurs: 6.45 million
Friday: 9.95 million

Total to date: 296.6 million

Pirates will cross the 300 million mark in 16 days, faster than any other film. It took the first Pirates film 101 days to reach the same milestone. In fact, DMC will also outgross the total that the previous Pirates film made by the end of today, its 16th day of release.

Based on Friday numbers, Pirates will hold the #1 spot for a third straight weekend, despite four more newcomers this weekend.

Thank you for the updates! It is continuing to do very well! :wave:

darthjohnny

Wow! That's amazing! Lady in the Water, although I do not have any interest to see this movie, might get #1, I think Pirates will be right up there, but it could get #1 for 3 weeks in a row. That's pretty rare in Hollywood today.

CTXRover

darthjohnny said:
Wow! That's amazing! Lady in the Water, although I do not have any interest to see this movie, might get #1, I think Pirates will be right up there, but it could get #1 for 3 weeks in a row. That's pretty rare in Hollywood today.

Based on Friday's numbers with the newcomers, Pirates will be #1 again this weekend unless there is some unprecedented shake-up on Saturday.

Friday numbers (estimates vary based on source):
#1: Pirates: 9.9-10.2 million
#2: Monster House: 7.5-7.7 million
#3 Lady in the Water: 6.8-6.9 million

Lady in the Water had a very disappointing showing. With a weekend total likely to be only in the low 20 million range, it is an incredibly poor showing for a once great writer/director. With the incredibly poor reviews LITW received, perhaps Mr. Shymalan shouldn't have listened to those voices in his head and had listened to Disney before storming off to Warner Bros on an ego trip. Its a shame, I thought he was a very talented writer/director with his first three films.

CTXRover

DisneyRoxMySox said:
As always great news! I beleive this means it has topped the $300 million mark!!

Yep, sometime today, its 16th day of release, DMC cross the 300 million mark to become the fastest film to reach that milestone. The previous record was 17 days held by last year's Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

CTXRover

BO update:

Sat estimate: 14.7 million
Sun estimate: 10.4 million

Pirates third weekend brought in an estimated 35 million, a drop of 43,8 % from last weekend, giving it the #1 spot for a third straight weekend.

It became the fastest film to reach 300 million in just 16 days.

Its total now stands at an estimated 321.7 million making it the 16th biggest film of all time domestically and counting.

It has also now surpassed the 305 million that Curse of the Black Pearl made in its entire domestic run.

CTXRover

Top five films for the weekend of July 21-23:

1 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest: $35.04 million Total: $321,733,000
2 Monster House: $23.0 million
3 Lady in the Water: $18.2 million
4 You, Me and Dupree: $12.8 million Total: $45,318,000
5 Little Man:$11.0 million Total: $40,611,000
10 Cars: 4.9 million Total: $229.4 million

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom