'Pirates' Sequel Earns Record $132 Million Debut

dxwwf3

Yeah I guess the POTC heavy drop off that many "experts" were predicting hasn't happened yet. I knew this film would have fantastic legs. It is an ultimate crowd pleaser: if you only want special effects eye candy it is there and if you want a good story with engaging characters it has that too.

Looking forward to seeing Lady In The Water, but I don't expect to like it as much as The Village or Signs.

Can't wait for Talladega Nights :lol:

dxwwf3

DisneyRoxMySox said:
I feel that will beat Pirates at the Box Office this upcoming weekend.

It comes out August 4th. And there is NO doubt it will be number 1 at the box office when it comes out.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
dxwwf3 said:
It comes out August 4th. And there is NO doubt it will be number 1 at the box office when it comes out.
I think you are correct, but only in certain markets. Racing is big amongst groups and certain areas in the country, but I dont think it will have the pull to overcome PotC.

dxwwf3

hakunamatata said:
I think you are correct, but only in certain markets. Racing is big amongst groups and certain areas in the country, but I dont think it will have the pull to overcome PotC.

This is a Will Ferrell comedy. It doesn't matter if it is about racing or about ping pong. I personally hate NASCAR and know nothing about it. I didn't know a whole lot about 70's newscasters either and I was more excited about Anchorman than any movie that year :lol:.

Talladega Nights will definitely beat POTC the weekend it comes out. It is the last big film of the summer and really this has been a weak season for comedies. And this is the one everyone has been waiting for.

dxwwf3

Legacy said:
Snakes on a Plane will beat it though.

Yeah on its opening weekend. It comes out two weeks after TN. But TN will certainly make more money at the end of the year. SoaP should have been released about 2 months ago. I'm still excited to see it, but it has "big opening weekend, no legs" written all over it.

darthjohnny

dxwwf3 said:
This is a Will Ferrell comedy. It doesn't matter if it is about racing or about ping pong. I personally hate NASCAR and know nothing about it. I didn't know a whole lot about 70's newscasters either and I was more excited about Anchorman than any movie that year :lol:.

Talladega Nights will definitely beat POTC the weekend it comes out. It is the last big film of the summer and really this has been a weak season for comedies. And this is the one everyone has been waiting for.

Talladega Nights looks kind of Dumb and the only reason the it would beat Pirates is that Pirates would be out for so long.

CTXRover

BO update:

Pirates fell to second place in its fourth weekend with an estimated 20.5 million. (First place went to Miami Vice with 25.2 million in its first weekend of release).

That bring Pirates grand total domestically to a staggering $358.4 million after 24 days of release on its way to the big 400 million mark. Most expect that it will pass that milestone by the end of its run becoming only the 5th film to ever cross the 400 million mark in its initial release (unadjusted grosses).

POTC: DMC is now Disney's biggest film ever domestically, crossing the $339.7 million Finding Nemo made. To date, it is the 11th biggest film domestically of all time and should cross into the top 10 by the end of next weekend.

In other news, Cars continues to chug along bringing its grand total to $234.6 million. That pushes Cars ahead of X-Men 3 making Cars the second biggest film of 2006 so far, behind only POTC: DMC. Thus like 2003, Disney ends up with the two biggest films of the summer for 2006.

NemoRocks78

Seized
dxwwf3 said:
Yeah on its opening weekend. It comes out two weeks after TN. But TN will certainly make more money at the end of the year. SoaP should have been released about 2 months ago. I'm still excited to see it, but it has "big opening weekend, no legs" written all over it.
Talladega Nights is tracking VERY well, most people (including myself) are predicting $40m+. :D

Legacy said:
Snakes on a Plane will beat it though.
Wouldn't be so sure of that anymore, the hype has died down quite a bit. New Line really should've gotten that thing out in June (but of course, New Line is part of WB, the worst studio today in terms of marketing and release dates, so I'm not surprised :rolleyes: :lol: ). I can't see it with more than $35 million on its OW. It will have a huge, huge, huge Friday though.

CaptainMichael

After an $18 million opening day, it looks like I might be VERY close on this one. And I think my favorite movie of the year deserves every penny :).

I concur! Talladega Nights was wonderful.

I saw Pirates again after Talladega Nights last night. It really is better the second time around.

dxwwf3

I saw Pirates again after Talladega Nights last night. It really is better the second time around.

I expect that I will enjoy BOTH of these movies more on repeat viewings. And I thought they were both A+'s in my book after the first time :lol:.

This has been one of the best summers ever for me. And there are quite a few that I'll pick up on DVD that I have missed in the theater (Lady in the Water, Miami Vice, Dupree, etc.).

imagineer99

Clerks II == Best Movie of the Summer ;)

Pirates == Worst/Most disappointing Movie of the Summer ;)

Lady in the Water == Most unfairly bashed Movie of the Summer :)

Little Man == 5th Sign of the Apocalypse :)

dxwwf3

Lady in the Water == Most unfairly bashed Movie of the Summer :)

Good to hear. I was a big Village/Signs/Unbreakable fan. But since it pretty much bombed, I'm sure it will be out on DVD soon. The only reason I go to the theater is to see something ASAP. Other than that, I'd rather watch most movies alone on DVD.

CTXRover

Pirates did decent in its 5th weekend falling down one place to 3rd with $11.0 million, bringing its grand total to $379.7. It definetely saw a hit from the success of Talladega Nights which came in at #1 with an estimated $47 million and the better than expected take of Barnyard which came in at 2nd place with 16 million.

Pirates is now the 8th biggest domestic film of all time (unadjusted) and will become the 7th biggest film tomorrow (Monday) before it probably finishes as the 6th biggest film of all time after it crosses Spiderman's $403 million box office gross sometime within the next 2-3 weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom