'Pirates' Sequel Earns Record $132 Million Debut

jmvd20

should-be-BELLE said:
I've read in the other posts about the Transformers and everyone talking about the trailer..but I haven't heard a thing about it. Can someone enlighten a little please?

Transformers were some of my favorite toys and I will definitely have to see this one.

Here is the official site - not really a preview yet but it is set for release
July 4th 2007.

http://www.transformersmovie.com/

NemoRocks78

Seized
dxwwf3 said:
I think releasing POTC 3 a week later could make a big difference when looking at the competition, but it's all about Memorial Day Weekend. It will still kick major butt.
The last three Memorial Day Weekends have all proven that 2+ big films can co-exist at the same time....

4-day hauls:

X-Men: The Last Stand - $122.8m
The Da Vinci Code - $42.4m
Over the Hedge - $35.3m

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - $70.0m
Madagascar - $61.0m
The Longest Yard - $58.6m

Shrek 2 - $95.5m
The Day After Tomorrow - $85.8m

I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. Although both films are targeted at families, Shrek 3 is going to get the business from the ones that have young children. Shrek 3 also shouldn't really worry about it as a children's film will play much, much longer into the summer and have better legs than a highly anticipated sequel opening on the biggest weekend of the year. Currently nothing is scheduled for the weekend after (and it would probably be suicide for any film to do so) so Pirates will most likely have an empty weekend to make a good amount of cash before Ocean's 13 ($40m+), Fantastic Four 2 ($60m+), Evan Almighty ($35m+), and Ratatouille ($60m+) hit over the following weeks.

Anthony95

the only thing i didn't like was how 'cleaner' jack sparrow's teeth were to the other pirates

other wise

to tell you how much i loved this movie, i just told my boyfriend that if orlando bloom ask me out, his ______ is grass

the cliffhanger - OH MY GOODNESS - they were WRONG FOR THAT just simply WRONG! lol they know i'm gonna be feining for the next installment.

i was getting ready to tell the movie... lots of good stuff...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
All those sequels and to think people used to extract the urine out of the Rocky franchise.

The lack of originality is incredible. To think execs get paid for this.

JimboJones123

dxwwf3 said:
I joke around, but seriously everyone has those movies. Films that everybody and their brother hates, but you love. I've got my fair share, so don't feel bad AT ALL. I'm a card carrying memeber in the "Caddyshack 2 is 1,000 times better than Caddyshack club". But I'm not only a member, I'm the creater and only member :lol:

Vegas Vacation

imagineer99

Gosh, I can't believe they're churning out ANOTHER Fantastic Four movie. The first was so gosh-darn awful, I felt guilty that I actually gave money to the franchise with the purchase of my ticket.

And, dxwwf3, Caddyshack 2 better than the original?????:eek: To quote Buzz Lightyear, "You are a sad, sad little man. And you have my pity." ;) :lol:

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
And, dxwwf3, Caddyshack 2 better than the original?????:eek: To quote Buzz Lightyear, "You are a sad, sad little man. And you have my pity." ;) :lol:

Yep. I think the original is one of the worst famous comedies I've ever seen. It is extremely corny, you can see every joke coming a mile away, the ADR work is atrocious, and Bill Murray's character might be the most unfunny comic relief character in the history of movies. And don't get me started on Ted Knight's character. You wanna talk about over the top and sticking out like a sore thumb. Rodney Dangerfield is ok in the movie, but his performance is vastly overrated, IMO. He was better in Ladybugs :lol:

The sequal is basically the same story, but Jackie Mason is great and Randy Quaid's small part is funnier than anything in Caddyshack 1. Sometimes I really enjoy being one of the only people in the world to feel this way :)

I'll go see a couple of those movies in the theatre, but The Bourne Ultimatum will probably be my biggest summer movie. I'll go see

Spider-Man 3 (Sony) - 5/4
Fantastic Four 2 (Fox) - 6/15
Ratatouille (BV) - 6/29
The Transformers (DW) - 7/4
The Simpsons (Fox) - 7/27
The Bourne Ultimatum (Uni.) - 8/3
Alien vs. Predator 2 (WB) - 8/10

I'm not a big fan of the Simpsons overall, but for them to wait this long to get a feature release (2D feature release) I'll definitely go. I'm curious about Transformers, it probably won't do that well as it targets a specific demographic, but hey..I grew up on them. Alien vs. Predator is a definite go for me...I really enjoyed the first one and I'm just happy to see that these franchises aren't just dissapearing, but The Bourne Ultimatum seems to be my biggest summer movie...I'll save my comments on Ratatouille until I get to see more from the trailers.

SGT623

BTW POTC just made another $18,140,271...ON A MONDAY!!! Almost as good as what the number 2 movie made fri/sat/sun combined! YIKES!

imagineer99

THat IS impressive. Maybe Disney can use all this money to make sure the third installment is actually good. ;)

But, in all seriousnees, I'm surprised the gross has held. I predicted a steep drop off following such a mamouth opening weekend.

Legacy

imagineer99 said:
THat IS impressive. Maybe Disney can use all this money to make sure the third installment is actually good. ;)

But, in all seriousnees, I'm surprised the gross has held. I predicted a steep drop off following such a mamouth opening weekend.
Nothing about this country makes much sense anymore.

I blame the Red Sox. Everything in life was predictable until they won that blasted World Series.

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:

I think a lot of the Box Office media folks were all predicting this to drop like a rock after the unreal weekend. I'm not buying it. Remember this film has a universal appeal that is tough to match without being CGI animated film. I actually expect this film to beat out Shrek 2 when it is all said and done.

imagineer99

But, length has to be a factor. Say what you want, Pirates is much longer than your standard family fare. I'm quite surprised that younger kids (12 and under) would be willing to sit through a 2 and half hour movie. Maybe the Harry Potter franchise prepared them for it...;)

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
But, length has to be a factor. Say what you want, Pirates is much longer than your standard family fare. I'm quite surprised that younger kids (12 and under) would be willing to sit through a 2 and half hour movie. Maybe the Harry Potter franchise prepared them for it...;)

To be honest, I don't think the majority of people going to see the movie have ANY IDEA on how long the film is. It worked for the first film and if you are constantly entertained, the time flies by. And I was constantly entertained during DMC. I hope to goodness that maybe with movies being longer and longer that this next generation will grow longer attention spans. That would help out the theme park environment as well :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom