Pirates Queue Modifications

tl77

My parents favorite ride is Soarin', a month ago they were in Epcot and went to get a Soarin' FP at 11am and the pass said to come back at 5pm, so they had to say in Epcot and couldn't get another FP for another ride until 5... this is the sort of problem the new system is set up to address

RSoxNo1

I don't see how this new system would affect the rides that currently have fast pass like Toy Story, but adding it to rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion which already have 2 queue lines, allows Disney to "turn on and turn off" the fast pass system as it's needed...

Like if on a given day if there's a lot of requests for Pirates Fast Passes in "the afternoon" they can convert one queue line to fast pass for that window of time, then convert both back to stand by in "the evening", or if there's a day with very few requests for Pirates then they can inform the guest ahead of time that there's no need for a fast pass and issue a pass for a different attraction
The problem is that in order for the numbers to work for Fastpass+, Pirates of the Caribbean needs to be in the rotation for available Fastpass attractions even if the crowds expected that day don't dictate it. This is where the false value comes in.

RSoxNo1

I thought you could only receive one FastPass at a time?
You can receive a new Fastpass before your return time of the existing Fastpass if that return time is more than 2 hours out. At some attractions (historically at Expedition Everest and/or Tower of Terror) that window is only 1 hour out.

doctornick

I thought you could only receive one FastPass at a time?

You can get your next fastpass either when the current fastpass window opens (say you get a fastpass for 10:15am-11:15am, you could get a new one at 10:15am) or 2 hours later, whichever is first. If you went to Soarin' and got a fastpass at 11:00am and the fastpass was for 4:15pm-5:15pm, then you could get another fastpass starting at 1:00pm.

Tip Top Club

Oh Trust me, I've thought of all those things. I never said it was perfect (I believe I went on a tirade in another thread, or it may have even been this one about how it was a rash move, and it was poorly placed) But I do enjoy it, and I enjoy the idea behind it, of having more things to see and do while waiting in line. I love the haunted mansion. (We're actually talking about pirates in this thread, but I'm going with it) Do me a favor, Try Standing alone in that queue at night, play the harp on the crypt, slam your hands on the organ, and try speaking with the undead. You might just find some magic there, but you'll never find it if you're not looking for it.

BTW: We weren't actually talking about the merits of the experience, just that it wasn't as outrageous as the picture that was painted. (The complaint I was addressing was specific to sound actually, not story)

The one point in here that I think is most important is the jarring transition between lighthearted fun and the somber entrance hall. I think once the emphasis goes on to Fastpass+ and you have more time waiting in the merged area (near Leota's Grave) this will give you a chance to unwind, not to mention the time behind the captains crypt as well where there are no interactive elements. Just a thought.

wolf359

I'll go ahead and continue the thread-drift, but I have to agree the extended queue at the Haunted Mansion is quite nice at night, especially if you're alone. It can be just as spooky and moody as you could possibly want and I think it is a neat space to explore.

Yes, it can also be hot and noisy when crowded, but the (supposedly superior and more theme enhancing) main queue is nothing more than a cattle-pen of switchbacks with an awning that completely blocks your view of the mansion. In reality I find that far more disturbing to the intended theme of the Haunted Mansion than anything in the new section.

Tip Top Club

It makes me wonder if there are MORE plans ahead for the mansion queue, I doubt they'll keep the extended queue in it's current figuration once the new path opens from Fantasyland...

tl77

The problem is that in order for the numbers to work for Fastpass+, Pirates of the Caribbean needs to be in the rotation for available Fastpass attractions even if the crowds expected that day don't dictate it. This is where the false value comes in.
From what I understand the purpose of Fast Pass+ is to address the 2 big problems with the current Fast Pass

The way it is now you can book a trip a year in advance, make dinner reservations months in advance, but when you finally get to the park, your day is dictated by whatever time the Fast Pass machine randomly spits out. If the FP time conflicts with a parade, show, dinner reservation, fireworks, ect... you then have to change your plans to whatever this little machine tells you

The other problem people seem to have with it, is that you can only hold one at a time, but if they just adjusted the current system, you'd spend all of you time criss-crossing the park from this 1st kiosk to the 2nd one then back to the 1st ride, then the 2nd ride, and that's assuming all the randomly generated times sync up, which leads back to the first problem

So making ride reservations in advance lets you see the things you really want to see, you'll apparently be able to choose "morning", "afternoon", or "evening" so you can see it when it's most convenient for you, and you won't have to spend any time running around to kiosks
But that's the purpose of the new system, it's not to mess with the stand by lines, it to make Fast Pass more accommodating to people who spend a year or so planning a vacation to Disney World

ajbidwell

From what I understand the purpose of Fast Pass+ is to address the 2 big problems with the current Fast Pass

The way it is now you can book a trip a year in advance, make dinner reservations months in advance, but when you finally get to the park, your day is dictated by whatever time the Fast Pass machine randomly spits out. If the FP time conflicts with a parade, show, dinner reservation, fireworks, ect... you then have to change your plans to whatever this little machine tells you

The other problem people seem to have with it, is that you can only hold one at a time, but if they just adjusted the current system, you'd spend all of you time criss-crossing the park from this 1st kiosk to the 2nd one then back to the 1st ride, then the 2nd ride, and that's assuming all the randomly generated times sync up, which leads back to the first problem

So making ride reservations in advance lets you see the things you really want to see, you'll apparently be able to choose "morning", "afternoon", or "evening" so you can see it when it's most convenient for you, and you won't have to spend any time running around to kiosks
But that's the purpose of the new system, it's not to mess with the stand by lines, it to make Fast Pass more accommodating to people who spend a year or so planning a vacation to Disney World

I personally am in favor of FP+ (at least in theory), but there are some holes in your theory. For one, the times are not random, they are sequential and stated above the machine so you know what your return window will be and that the later you get a FP, the later the return window will be. Also, you can get a new pass once the one you are holding has expired or 2 hours have passed, whichever comes first.

The only real "need" FP+ fills is that it makes it possible for people to come into the parks late and still have fastpasses for the top attractions. I personally think this is a significant "need" as many families aren't RD warriors.

EOD K9

I wonder what some wait times would be on Soarin' or TSMM if there were no FPs. How fast would the line move? I was in DL in May and TSMM out there moved fairly quick. Due to the fact there were no FPs, there wasn't a CM randomly letting a disproportionate amout of FP to Standby in.

tl77

I personally am in favor of FP+ (at least in theory), but there are some holes in your theory. For one, the times are not random, they are sequential and stated above the machine so you know what your return window will be and that the later you get a FP, the later the return window will be. Also, you can get a new pass once the one you are holding has expired or 2 hours have passed, whichever comes first.

The only real "need" FP+ fills is that it makes it possible for people to come into the parks late and still have fastpasses for the top attractions. I personally think this is a significant "need" as many families aren't RD warriors.

It's random in that you don't know on a given day when the return time will be until you get to the machine, you could get a Fast Pass that says come back in 1 hour or 5 hours, but I don't see any reason to worry about this new system, because any new Fast Pass system can not affect the Stand By lines or else it won't work...

If for example you've get a FP for "Big Thunder Mountain" a 1pm and one for "Space Mountain" at 2pm, but after "Big Thunder" you spend an hour and a half in the Stand By line for "Haunted Mansion"... you're not going to make it to "Space Mountain" by 2pm. So they'd never implement a new FP system that has any significant effect on the Stand By line or else that FP system won't work either

So I'm looking forward to it as well

RSoxNo1

The way to do that is to allow guests to reserve Fastpass attractions same day for any available time.

devoy1701

It's random in that you don't know on a given day when the return time will be until you get to the machine, you could get a Fast Pass that says come back in 1 hour or 5 hours, but I don't see any reason to worry about this new system, because any new Fast Pass system can not affect the Stand By lines or else it won't work...

If for example you've get a FP for "Big Thunder Mountain" a 1pm and one for "Space Mountain" at 2pm, but after "Big Thunder" you spend an hour and a half in the Stand By line for "Haunted Mansion"... you're not going to make it to "Space Mountain" by 2pm. So they'd never implement a new FP system that has any significant effect on the Stand By line or else that FP system won't work either

So I'm looking forward to it as well

You're reasoning still makes no sense.

If you have a FP for BTMRR at 1pm, and then go stand in line for HM for 90 minutes (which wouldn't happen), you would be done roughly at 2:45. So you would still have 15 minutes to get over to Space. You better hurry though because that 3pm parade is about to start!

For you to think that a new FP+ System won't have a significant effect on wait times is just ridiculous. Quite a few of us have told you why...but just go on believing what you want and don't listen to reason.

Victor Kelly

I take it the yellow queue will be for fastpass as it is now way shorter than the green queue.

And if each line holds the same amount of people, fastpass becomes slowpass, standby becomes wait forever (see Peter Pan). The park now has extra people capacity but no extra through the attraction hourly capacity. Which in the end will equal what life was like BEFORE fastpass.

In total, everyone will have to wait regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom