Pirates Queue Modifications

Mike730

Fantastic description, really. I dont necessarily see any issue with this besides the future involvement of Fastpass +.

Tip Top Club

I can't wait for the interactive skeletons that tell jokes to children and the loud, button-activated fog horns that will be available for 4 year-olds to annoy everyone in line with! Oh the joys of NEXT-GEN. :confused:

What on Earth would make you think anything even remotely close to that would happen. Is there anything obnoxious or loud in any of the other interactive queues? Sure there's the music in the mansion queue, but it's the ride's theme music so I'm not sure how that's a bother. There's also the disembodied voice of Prudence Pock, but most people just ignore her anyway, and don't even realize she's there. The pooh queue's only sound effect are the occasional yips from Gophers which can't be heard from more then a few feet away, and the rest is very earthy in tone, and matches the colors from the trees and will probably add to to the atmosphere once there are more trees across the way when the mine train is ready.

Doom and Gloom.

tdpolo26

What on Earth would make you think anything even remotely close to that would happen. Is there anything obnoxious or loud in any of the other interactive queues? Sure there's the music in the mansion queue, but it's the ride's theme music so I'm not sure how that's a bother. There's also the disembodied voice of Prudence Pock, but most people just ignore her anyway, and don't even realize she's there. The pooh queue's only sound effect are the occasional yips from Gophers which can't be heard from more then a few feet away, and the rest is very earthy in tone, and matches the colors from the trees and will probably add to to the atmosphere once there are more trees across the way when the mine train is ready.

Doom and Gloom.
i def agree with you .... alot of judgement passed for a system we know very little about. Also its disney its loaded with noise..... I think alot of people forget disney is for FAMILY's also not just adults who love to go there. People that are looking for a quite time need not look any further then there recliner. I used to get really upset also with crazy stroller people, screaming kids, power scooters loading ahead and other things, i realized it was futile and they are just kids plus i spent more time worrying about others then enjoying my vacation. i think alot of people are now peter panning and lost the memory of peter pan. Best thing you can do is accept the situation, find something you like in it, and focus on that and let the magic do the rest.

AndyMagic

Doom and Gloom.

While I was clearly being sarcastic I don't necessarily think what I described is a drastic departure from Disney's recent additions to the resort. It seems to me that appealing to small children is all that matters to them. To me, it is a crying shame that TDO is spending money altering one of the best queues at the resort when that money could be spent on any number of things that would benefit the guests. Maybe instead of adding fastpass to every conceivable attraction (and investing in the infrastructure necessary to do so) they could use the funds to maintain and improve existing effects in attractions. I hear the dinosaurs over at Animal Kingdom and the rabbits at Splash Mountain are hungry for funds indeed.

Tip Top Club

While I was clearly being sarcastic I don't necessarily think what I described is a drastic departure from Disney's recent additions to the resort. It seems to me that appealing to small children is all that matters to them. To me, it is a crying shame that TDO is spending money altering one of the best queues at the resort when that money could be spent on any number of things that would benefit the guests. Maybe instead of adding fastpass to every conceivable attraction (and investing in the infrastructure necessary to do so) they could use the funds to maintain and improve existing effects in attractions. I hear the dinosaurs over at Animal Kingdom and the rabbits at Splash Mountain are hungry for funds indeed.

I understand your points, I really do, and I also understand that your first post was dramatic hyperbole. I do however, think that some of the points being brought up across the board her are ludicrous, and was merely using your post to illustrate that.

That being said. Small new details were added with this change, new cannonballs, new lights. Money was spent to improve the Pirates queue, because that's where the money is right now, many of the queue in our resort are lacking, and so it's being addressed, slowly and one at a time, but it's being addressed. (Although the worst two, Peter Pan and Thunder, haven't had much activity lately, one can only hope). Perhaps when this project is complete we can move on to larger animatronic overhauls, God knows Movie Ride could use it, the animatronics there are looking pretty dismal. There's only so many hours in a day and so many people to complete the massive undertaking that is Walt Disney World. I'm not saying we should excuse poor show, but that currently effort is being focused on the queue experience, maybe sometime soon that attention will shift.

That also being said, I noticed some significant improvements last night on Splash mountain, the Brer Bear in the Bee Scene was moving more then I've seen him move in years, the Kuka Rabbit was working after being offline for a month or so, even Brer Frog's fish, and the Alligator pulling Brer Fox's tail were moving. In fact, besides the Turtle Fountains, which haven't worked in Ages, I didn't really notice anything glaring wrong Yesterday. So good news there.

Looks like it will be like Space Mountain - 2 lines (Standby & Fastpass), merge point, 2 lines (Alpha & Omega).

This seems likely. And a great way to keep both lines moving, and it may even make the standby line shorter during slow times by not having to choose a side. We've all seen those times when 10 minutes is posted but everyone is on the right side, so it turns out that one side is 10 and the other is 0. Perhaps this will eliminate that.

draybook

It doesnt look bad at all, imho. I will go with glass mostly full on this one, it could have been a lot worse.
Also, the new view you will get of the loading area will add to the excitement(sp?) for me at least.

Yeah, but this is Disney. We shouldn't be saying, "well, it could be worse".

neoshinok

This seems likely. And a great way to keep both lines moving, and it may even make the standby line shorter during slow times by not having to choose a side. We've all seen those times when 10 minutes is posted but everyone is on the right side, so it turns out that one side is 10 and the other is 0. Perhaps this will eliminate that.

More likely to allow FastPass to take over both sides during busy times post parade and fireworks. I understand the need for doing so, to keep the 'Fast' in FastPass, but it really irritates me in Space Mountain when they completely stop the standby line to let FastPass fill in both sides at the merge point. Well, I guess only when I don't have a FastPass...

wiigirl

Yeah, but this is Disney. We shouldn't be saying, "well, it could be worse".

True! but....it could be worse :p
75.gif

Tip Top Club

More likely to allow FastPass to take over both sides during busy times post parade and fireworks. I understand the need for doing so, to keep the 'Fast' in FastPass, but it really irritates me in Space Mountain when they completely stop the standby line to let FastPass fill in both sides at the merge point. Well, I guess only when I don't have a FastPass...

Sorry, I thought that went without saying.

MissM

As someone who's been photographing the skeletons playing chess for almost 10 years now, I'm going to be really annoyed if the line is changed so that you can't chose which side to go on. i.e. if the right side is restricted to Fastpass/XPass etc. only guests. :( It's not as if both lines are the same decor. There are differences and it would really stink if the option of which one you want to see is taken away.

MagicMike

To me it appears they have created a quick zip to the loading dock. If its slow, there is no need to go thru the entire queue. They can move the red dash line to go north/south instead of east/west (like it does in the diagram) and that will make the walk shorter... It is sort of like what they do at Big Thunder with the ropes. Just move one and then people can queue around a different way. Brilliant!

I totally see why they would do this. It makes sense.

But...
Each queue was designed to represent a path, one a soldier, one a Pirate. This helps create the atmosphere, set the mood, and is one of the wonderful details that makes the attraction so great. By merging the lines when needed (if that is indeed what they are doing) will this subtlety undermine the original design, thought process, and theming?

I'm really not tying to be Doom & Gloom or overly sensitive about the change. As I stated before, I see why on paper this would make sense.

Goofnut1980

I totally see why they would do this. It makes sense.

But...
Each queue was designed to represent a path, one a soldier, one a Pirate. This helps create the atmosphere, set the mood, and is one of the wonderful details that makes the attraction so great. By merging the lines when needed (if that is indeed what they are doing) will this subtlety undermine the original design, thought process, and theming?

I'm really not tying to be Doom & Gloom or overly sensitive about the change. As I stated before, I see why on paper this would make sense.

Holy monkey bananas... I have been to the world over 30 times, and thought I knew a lot about the parks. I had no clue that the two lines were designed as a Pirate or Soldier... Thats awesome!!! Thanks, can't wait to share that with my better half!

MagicMike

Holy monkey bananas... I have been to the world over 30 times, and thought I knew a lot about the parks. I had no clue that the two lines were designed as a Pirate or Soldier... Thats awesome!!! Thanks, can't wait to share that with my better half!

Sweet. If I'm not mistaken the right queue is Pirate, the left is Soldier. Now that you know, the next time you ride you will instantly recognize all the differences.

wolf359

As someone who's been photographing the skeletons playing chess for almost 10 years now, I'm going to be really annoyed if the line is changed so that you can't chose which side to go on. i.e. if the right side is restricted to Fastpass/XPass etc. only guests. :( It's not as if both lines are the same decor. There are differences and it would really stink if the option of which one you want to see is taken away.

I agree, but after going for years in slower seasons I never used the left-hand queue until 2005 because only the right side was open. I can't consider it a total loss if this change means both sides are more likely to be open year-round now.

Tip Top Club

Space Mountain for one.

I'll be honest with you, I forgot those existed. I always use Fastpass for Space. I played them once and found them mildly entertaining. Certainly not disruptive though, but that's just my opinion. Not to mention the time you spend there is limited because ops likes the keep the queue up on the platform, which I will never understand...

I'd also like the point out that Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain doesn't really have a story or theme. It's a roller coaster in the dark. You can say it's a rocket, or a space station, or whatever. But let's face it. It's a roller coaster in the dark. Just sayin'...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom