Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Review Thread

Chape19714

Absolutely drop-dead amazing. Can't wait till tomorrow and the ride...and of coarse until may to see how it all ends. I am a bit sceptical because Jack really made the movie, and (BIG SPOILER!!!!!) now that he's been eaten, and the sequel is set up to rescue him, how will audiences react to an absence of Jack, unless it keeps flashing back and forth show Jack and where he ended up. He can't be dead yet...otherwise why would they save him? But then again...we thought that with barbossa. I pictured the monkey as a forshadowing that the entire crew of the pearl was sill alive. Also, the monkey was still cursed, they couldn't kill him, so how will that detail play into potc3?

socalkdg

orangecard said:
Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie. I'm a little unclear about why Jack didn't want Will to destroy the heart when he opened the chest. I think that it was explained, but I missed something. The only thing I can figure is that Jack wanted to be able to control Davy Jones without killing him. Any thoughts?

The Kracken is already locked on to him thus he figures destroying Jones won't keep the Kracken away from him. Only having Jones remove the black spot will save him.

Pongo

I throroughly enjoyed this movie. I thought the plot was great, thought some parts that explained it were a bit confusing. Two I can think of now are the scene in the beginning with Jack and Bootstrap Bill, and the dice game scene with Will, Bootstrap, and Davey Jones. I didn't really understand how the dice game worked.

But overall, I thought it was great. The ending totally took me by surprise. I knew that Depp died, but I didn't know Barbossa came back. My mouth was GAPE in astonishment when the credits started rolling. I hope there's a good explanation as to why Barbossa would go rescue Jack when Jack was the one that killed him in the first place. Hmm.

I thought Davy Jones was the best new character in the film. I wouldn't be surprised if he were nominated for the Oscars. I thought he was brilliant.

The visual effects were amazin, especially all the Kraken scenes.

My favorite one liner: "It's a mythological creature, I'll pronounce it however I want!"

Those two leftover pirates from the cursed crew were great. Is it just me or did anyone else detect a slight religious theme in the movie? What with the two pirates "reading" the Bible and Davy Jones being the devil of the sea.

This one was definitely darker than the original, and I like that. Dark films are always fun. I need to see it again to decide which I like better, though.

Very good.

magicfan

Wow, great movie :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: !!!

The music was great, as expected. Got to buy the soundtrack.

Amazing. Great to see Barbossa back in it. I knew as soon as that weird lady said something along the lines of "the end of the Earth" the movie was ending. Isn't the third movie named liked that?

Very excited for the next one...

Pongo

magicfan said:
Wow, great movie :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: !!!

The music was great, as expected. Got to buy the soundtrack.

Amazing. Great to see Barbossa back in it. I knew as soon as that weird lady said something along the lines of "the end of the Earth" the movie was ending. Isn't the third movie named liked that?

Very excited for the next one...

"PotC: World's End"

And I thought the same thing :lol:

dxwwf3

Absolutely fantastic. Very different from the first film, IMO. Right up there with Cars, Click, and Superman Returns for me. One of the best summer's ever.

I also think there are a couple of confusing moments and hopefully I'll get to watch the movie without a crying kid behind me at home :(. I've always had trouble with the accents, but with a stupid talking/crying kid behind me it was even worse. So that tells me how great this film is if I can give it a perfect rating with all the distractions.

Can't wait to watch it again and understand it a tad more and get pumped up for May 2007 :)

dxwwf3

SpongeScott said:
It was good, but the first one was better.

I would say the original was SLIGHTLY better, but I boost up the 2nd's rating because of the CGI work and special effects here. After thinking about all of that and how much fun the film is, I just can't justify an A rating. Not that it really matters (Just an armchair critic who puts letters on the internet), but I believe the freshness of the original is made up for with the sheer awesomeness of Dead Man's Chest.

Pluto Parking

What happened to the girl pirate from the first movie? Everyone was back it seemed except her. Did they explian her away in the first one? I can't remember?

wdwishes2005

I loved it. Went ot the midnight (well, 12:02 but oh well) showing, and it was awesome. I loved the serious, dark, gory nature of this one.

CaptainMichael

It was a good movie, perhaps a little slow in the beginning. At times, it was difficult to understand, and there was some useless action just for the sake of action.

Once again, Johnny Depp was the star of the show, and Bill Nighy was an excellent addition. I hope there will be more famous pirates in "At World's End"...

dandaman

Favourite quote: *BOOM* "Look! An undead monkey!" :lol:

I was probably one of few in the theatre that knew about the whole "monkey's-cursed-again" story. Fortunately, you can always tell the Disney enthusiasts by who's left at the end of the credits watching the extra scene. I talked with a few people at the end, and one of them was even registered on DIS!

disneyhappy

It was an awesome movie. Loved the characters and especially the fight on the wheel. Barbossa coming back, very interesting. I wonder why Elizabeth was so willing to go save Jack after she said it was the only way and tied him up. I thought I wanted her with Will, but the chemistry between her and Jack is electric

CaptainMichael

disneyhappy said:
It was an awesome movie. Loved the characters and especially the fight on the wheel. Barbossa coming back, very interesting. I wonder why Elizabeth was so willing to go save Jack after she said it was the only way and tied him up. I thought I wanted her with Will, but the chemistry between her and Jack is electric
I think the wheel fight was unecessary and very unrealistic. But that's just my opinion. The long, grandiose action sequences are what brought the film down in my opinion.

Elizabeth and Jack belong together, sorry Will:wave: He can start "knowing" the VooDoo priestess:lol:

dxwwf3

STR8FAN2005 said:
I think the wheel fight was unecessary and very unrealistic. But that's just my opinion. The long, grandiose action sequences are what brought the film down in my opinion.

I personally thought it fit the movie perfectly. I can see where you are coming from though. Movies like Mission Impossible 3 bore me to death because of too much action and too much unrealistic action. But for Pirates it worked for me.

Pixie_dust

Hi, new here.just needed a question answered

Ok....so Elizabeth WANTED to kiss Jack just because she likes him...or because she set him up? That's the only part that really confused us.

There weren't really any enthusiasts when I went to the midnight showing.it was only me and some other guy wearing a pirates shirt. = [ other than that it was incredible and the crowd was very excited.I think when the whole theatre's into it,it makes the movie better.

RonAnnArbor

You didn't like the wheel sequence?? I thought that was one of the more clever parts of this almost terminally boring movie. Except for some wonderful special effects and CGI sequences, the rest of the movie was dreck. They just don't have enough intelligent script material to work with to make this one-movie hit into a three-movie trilogy - ACK. I am not going to bother with the third installment, two have been way too many for me already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom