Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Review Thread

magicfan

In the Orlando Sentinel Calendar section, it said Rolling Stone Keith Richards has signed on to play Jack's dad/mentor in the third movie.

Has this been anounced before and I missed it? Or is it new news?

CaptainMichael

magicfan said:
In the Orlando Sentinel Calendar section, it said Rolling Stone Keith Richards has signed on to play Jack's dad/mentor in the third movie.

Has this been anounced before and I missed it? Or is it new news?
It was confirmed a few days ago, but it has been talked about for a long time.

CaptainMichael

dxwwf3 said:
I personally thought it fit the movie perfectly. I can see where you are coming from though. Movies like Mission Impossible 3 bore me to death because of too much action and too much unrealistic action. But for Pirates it worked for me.
The wheel would have rolled for a little bit, but am I supposed believe that there was not a single tree in it's path the whole way to the beach?:brick: Or is this like Harry Potter where the trees jump out of the way (Knight Bus)?

Pixie_dust said:
Ok....so Elizabeth WANTED to kiss Jack just because she likes him...or because she set him up? That's the only part that really confused us.
Yes, she has a thing for Jack. When she used Jack's compass, it pointed to him (the thing she wants most). She closed it very quickly. And when Jack had it, it pointed to Elizabeth. They're gonna live happily ever after and have little Swann/Sparrow babies....hmmm...do you think that the last names both being birds is a coincidence? I just noticed.

dxwwf3

STR8FAN2005 said:
The wheel would have rolled for a little bit, but am I supposed believe that there was not a single tree in it's path the whole way to the beach?:brick: Or is this like Harry Potter where the trees jump out of the way (Knight Bus)?

Its not that I think you are supposed to believe that, I don't really think you are supposed to even think about it. Just go along for the ride.

Timmay

STR8FAN2005 said:

However, cursed pirate ships, giant sea monsters, dead pirate captains returning to life and a compass that points to what you desire the most all somehow seem believable to you??? :rolleyes:

Great movie...different but every bit as good as the original.

Wasn't the dunking mayor scene just the one from the original that was cut?

Ariellen

STR8FAN2005 said:
do you think that the last names both being birds is a coincidence? I just noticed.

Yes...coincidence. :) Jason Surrell, author of Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies touched on that at a presentation/book signing he did in MK during my college program.

Not gonna share too much right now, but I'd been arguing in favor of Jack/Elizabeth from opening day of Curse of the Black Pearl, and I am EXTREMELY happy (and utterly SHOCKED!) that the movie actually went there! I figured I was just reading too much into some intense chemistry on the island, her pirate obsession, and the fact that she looked so BORED kissing Will at the end of the first film.

It'll be interesting to see a lot of what happens in Part 3...my overall feelings on 2 were mixed.

CaptainMichael

Timmay said:
However, cursed pirate ships, giant sea monsters, dead pirate captains returning to life and a compass that points to what you desire the most all somehow seem believable to you??? :rolleyes:
So, it's a supernatural, cursed waterwheel that dodges trees, and two men have enough stamina to sword fight while it rolls and rolls...

There is a difference between the things you mentioned and a waterwheel that just happened to come loose.

I'd prefer a good old-fashioned sword fight, those are impressive enough on their own. The wheel thing was WAY too Hollywood.

imagineer boy

Well, in one wide pan shot, the church wasn't very far away from the beach and up a small hill, therefor, less likely to hit a random tree.

stingrock23

"""SPOILER""" Now with Barbossa back, it makes sense why Disney put him into both Pirates upgrades. I'm glad he's back, and nice touch with the apple.

The wait for the end was bad. They should have had a peak at 3.

dxwwf3

I personally LOVED the cliffhanger style to this ending. Just exactly like Matrix Reloaded, except that one did have a trailer at the end. Actually this series is setting up to be just like The Matrix for me:

A very original first film that grows into one of my favorites after repeat viewings.

An action oriented sequal that some who loved the original didn't care for, but I absolutely loved.

Personally, I thought Matrix Revolutions (3rd one) was the best of the bunch, but in the huge minority on that one. And I also expect POTC 3 to be the best as well, but maybe I won't be in the minority there.

imagineer boy

The thing about the cliff hanger to the end of Reloaded, was that I had no idea what was going on. I know that the one guy they were with was Agent Smith who teleported into that guy's body, but I don't figure that out until LONG after. The thing was that it showed Neo next to Bane's/ Agent Smith's body and went Dun Dun DUUUUUNNNN!!!!!! To be Continued. And I was like, "What?" I mean, sure, you don't know who Barbossa came back, but you still knew who he was, and it came as quite a shock.

popsicletrees

Spoiler, maybe

About Jack, Elizabeth, and the compass:

When the Kracken is attacking the Black Pearl, Elizabeth notices Jack rowing away from the boat. The camera shows Jack looking at the compass, looking up (probably towards the ship), closing the compass, and sort of sighing. When Elizabeth goes to retrieve the gun Jack is back on the Pearl. I could be reading too much into this, but I think the compass was probably pointing back to the Pearl, where his heart's desire, Elizabeth, was in danger.

Elizabeth also looked really upset after she chained Jack to the ship. I realize that even if there were no romantic feelings between them, they were still friends and losing a friend would make anyone upset. However, if it wasn't for Jack she would have never been arrested and would have gotten married. She mentioned in the movie she was upset about not being married already. So my point is if the person who robbed me of my wedding night now had a mythological creature trying to kill me, I wouldn't be too upset about chaining him up.

The CGI work was some of the best I have ever seen. Davy Jones looked amazing. I loved the fighting scene with the wheel! I too noticed the boots the first time they visited the voodoo lady. I can't wait until next summer!

disneyhappy

I have been wondering if her feelings for Jack is why she was willing o go to the ends of the earth to save him. I also wondered did will see her chain up Jack? He didn't seem to be to upset about her kissing him at all.

Also, I saw Jack stealing somethings. WHat were they???

FigmentJedi

Saw it Saturday afternoon in a packed theater with a huge screen. It was a very fun movie, I really enjoyed the thing. A lot more exciting then the original and ended with one hell of a cliffhanger. Can't wait for the third one. I really need to see this one again in theaters.
EDIT: There's already a YTMND of one of my favorite bits of the movie: http://piratesdirt.ytmnd.com/

imagineer99

uhhh....just got back. The whole thing was downright awful. *SPOILERS* be following mateys...

Let's get a couple of things straight--I loved the first pirates film. I love Disney. I love Verbinski as a director. I think the film had a stellar set of actors and a great supporting cast. So, um, why did it suck so bad?

Well, to put it bluntly...IT WAS just downright boring. It was poorly paced. It lacked a cohesive structure. And, for an action movie, it lacked great action scenes. The story, which was a convulted mess that reeked of multiple screenwriters with too many ideas and not enough common sense, took a good two hours to get interesting. Yup, I said it. TWO HOURS. In the meantime, we're tossed back and forth from character to character with vague dialogue and leaky pirate ships until the whole shindig smells as bad as the Kraken's breath.

When we do finally reach the final "water wheel" finale, I didn't care anymore. I was just praying for it to end. Character motivations weren't explained. Why does jack NOT want to stop the heart? How the heck did Barbossa surrvive? How can will save his father (he's already dead)? And, as a result, "Dead Man's Chest" becomes a victim of trying to do a little bit of everything, but at the same time, not doing anything particularly well. Sure, the special effects looked top notch, but in a world where computer generated wizardy is the norm, it takes a lot more than a giant squid to get me to turn my head in wonder.

It's amazing how all the best cinematic ingredients (a good director, solid cast, brillaint special effects) all come together to taste downright bitter without the unifying power of a solid story. Color me disappointed. In the meantime, I raise a glass of grog to the heavens in hope that the third installment brings life back to such a promising franchise.

imagineer boy

imagineer99 said:
I was just praying for it to end. Character motivations weren't explained. Why does jack NOT want to stop the heart? How the heck did Barbossa surrvive? How can will save his father (he's already dead)?

Different strokes for different folks, but let me answere those questions.

*Jack stated that he does not want to stab the heart because he wants to blackmail Davy Jones into calling off the Kraken from hunting him. Because if Davy Jones is killed, no one can call off the Kraken from hunting Jack, therefor, he could still be attacked at any moment.

*They will mention how Barbossa survived in the next movie, just not in this one because they wanted to leave it on a cliff hanger note.

*Will's father isn't dead. When Barbossa strapped a cannon to Bootstrap's bootstraps and sent him to the depths, he was cursed, therefor, unable to die as he sank into the ocean. He couln't move and was in torment at the bottom of the sea, so he made a dept with Davy Jones to take him into his crew in order to release him from the cannon.

imagineer boy

BTW, my movie theater had to drop Nacho Libre from its theaters because they needed to fit in more pirates showings, and because it wasn't selling any tickets. :lol:

dxwwf3

imagineer boy said:
BTW, my movie theater had to drop Nacho Libre from its theaters because they needed to fit in more pirates showings, and because it wasn't selling any tickets. :lol:

All I needed was "From the director of Napoleon Dynamite" to keep me away from Nacho.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
imagineer99 said:
Well, to put it bluntly...IT WAS just downright boring. It was poorly paced. It lacked a cohesive structure. And, for an action movie, it lacked great action scenes.
Please tell me you didn't like Superman Returns.... :lookaroun :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom