Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest Review Thread

imagineer99

Actually, I found Superman Returns to be entertaining and well made. Not perfect, but at least it was well paced and fluid.

Pirates was just choppy and odd. Literally, the first hour was pointless. In fact, a good hour and a half could have been cut from the film and we wouldn't have missed anything important. I thought too much of a reliance was placed on the uninteresting CGI enemies. I'd much rather see a wonderfully coreographed sword sequence between two ACTORS rather than two computer generated fish and a giant squid. Sure, the last pirates had the skeleton enemies. But, they felt like an accent to everything else, not some dominating force. Major critics correlate this. Entertainment Weekly, who I tend to agree with, gave it a D+. It was panned by my local news station.

And, the sad thing is, I really wanted to like this--both as a Disney and adventure fan. Twenty minutes in, I said to myself, "This is going to get better. They just need time to build up a story." 45 minutes in, I started checking my watch. By one hour, my sister turned to me, as if reading my mind, and said, "This kinda sucks." All I could do is grimly nod.

Geez, I didn't even find Captain Jack funny (minus the bird intro).

sarahwiggles99

I saw POTC DMC Twice this week and it was great both times. I had to see it a second time in order to get the full appriciation for the movie. I thought that this movie was more about action than comedy which is why i like that first movie a bit better. The first time I went to see it I saw it at 1pm on July 7th and it was just me and a bunch of 5 year olds with their parents. about half of them left during the movie because they were too scared. When I saw it yesterday, the theatre was full of a bunch of valley girl teenagers that were all googly eyed over orlando and johnny (not why i go to see the movie.) anyway so they all gasped:cry: :eek: when he got "eaten" by the kraken.:lol: the first time i saw it my mouth dropped at the end but the second time i was waiting to see other peoples reactions which was a general "WHAT?!?!?":confused: . it was great and i cant wait to see the 3rd.:animwink:

diddy_mouse

My husband and I saw it on Friday and we definitely enjoyed it. With the second movie in a trilogy, there is usually a lot of set up that you need for the third film and this definitely had a lot of set up. There are questions that will be left unanswered until the next movie (hopefully they'll be answered) :D

I thought that the cast was superb, the fx were great, and the characters became much more developed. Will wasn't as whiny (though he continued to get knocked out), Elizabeth evolved more and we get more insight into her feelings for Jack, and Jack was still his bumbling self but (to me) he didn't seem as one-dimensional. Also the nods to the attraction, though few, were cute.

P.S. I thought the things after the credits was kinda dumb...:lookaroun

dxwwf3

imagineer99 said:
It's amazing how all the best cinematic ingredients (a good director, solid cast, brillaint special effects) all come together to taste downright bitter without the unifying power of a solid story. Color me disappointed.

Are you sure you didn't sneek into Mission Impossible 3 by mistake? :animwink:

Different strokes. This was very similar to King Kong, IMO, in that everyone talks about the length and I actually wanted the films to be longer. I swear I think I could have watched Kong for 4 or 5 hours. I absolutely adored that film. And DMC didn't drag one bit for me. The ONLY thing negative about the film I can think of is there didn't seem to be enough "Yo ho, Yo ho, A Pirates Life For Me" :lol:

MCBRIZZ5

I saw the movie yesterday and it was defiently a solid movie in the beginning and a great movie at the end. The one thing I picked up on was during the scene where he get the jar of dirt, I am almost positive that Jack picks up something. I'm not sure what it is, but this could be a major hint for the next movie.

MCBRIZZ5

I saw the movie yesterday and it was defiently a solid movie in the beginning and a great movie at the end. The one thing I picked up on was during the scene where he get the jar of dirt, I am almost positive that Jack picks up something. I'm not sure what it is, but this could be a major hint for the next movie.

Kwit35

MCBRIZZ5 said:
Saw it on Saturday and , surprisingly, loved it. I was not crazy about the first one, but actually want to see this one again. I loved the new Disney Intro., as did my 6 year old. I was a bit worried about taking my 6 year old daughter to this movie, but, she really wanted to see it. She loved it. Her favorite part was the bird on the coffin (I won't spoil what happened) and also, Jack dancing around with the jar of dirt. We are now looking forward to seeing the new and improved ride, next week. Still on the fence about the changes, but will make up my mind after riding it.

ucanfly

The first time i saw the movie i wasn't impressed at all; but it stayed on my mind and after seeing it once more i fell in love! Before seeing potc2, I was expecting it to be just like the first- all happy and cheery and fun. The darkness in it gave it a different feel, but it is definatly an awesome feel.

Did anyone else notice that one of the jewels on the witch's table appeared to be a necklace which had a large heart on it shaped just like Davy Jones' music box and the heart on the dead man's chest (without the keyhole)? Seemed pretty interesting and I think it just might mean something.

One thing that I didn't get was how is the undead monkey still undead?
Does anyone know when the movie will be released for dvd?
Was the Duke (forget his name, but the man who took over Port Royal) or his assistant in the first movie?

CTXRover

I loved DMC. While I think COTBP was a better film story-wise, I thought DMC was equally as entertaining and engaging as the first. I had the same thought after this film as I did with the first, which was "I need to see that again". DMC had better visuals, better action sequences and overall better cinematography than COTBP, but its story was a bit weaker than COTBP and there were a few major scenes that could have been cut with no impact on the overall story of the movie, such as the Cannibal Island scene....but that was a great scene in the film. I couldn't believe the movie was 2 1/2 hrs. At the end I wasn't ready for it to be over..lol....less than 11 months to wait for more though :)

I'll be seeing DMC's again this weekend hopefully.

CTXRover

ucanfly said:
One thing that I didn't get was how is the undead monkey still undead?

At the very end of the credits of COTBP, there is a very short scene where the monkey grabs a coin out of the chest and jumps toward the screen as a skeleton monkey. I guess he never returned the gold coin to the chest and thus remains cursed.

FigmentJedi

And he can't break the curse anymore. In the movie it was mentioned that Isla de Muerta got flooded in a hurricane and the chest's gold scattered.

imagineer boy

You know, if I had to cut a scene from the movie, I'd probably cut the dice game. I think they could've had a whole nother way for Will to find where the Key was hidden instead of devoting a whole scene of a game where no one knows the rules to.

Pongo

imagineer boy said:
You know, if I had to cut a scene from the movie, I'd probably cut the dice game. I think they could've had a whole nother way for Will to find where the Key was hidden instead of devoting a whole scene of a game where no one knows the rules to.

I loved the dice scene. One of my favorites in the whole movie.

But you're right. I really didn't understand how it was played.

But I did like that scene.

imagineer boy

Pongo said:
I loved the dice scene. One of my favorites in the whole movie.

But you're right. I really didn't understand how it was played.

But I did like that scene.

Well, it did show off some pretty good SFX.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom