PHOTOS - Town Square Theater soft opening including Mickey meet and greet

TinkerBell9988

This question may have been asked, so I apologize in advance for any redundancy...

Before the interior of this building was changed to a meet and greet, the theater for the Walt Disney Story was still in the rear, showing classic animated shorts. Is this still there? And if it is not, what exactly is in its place? A M&G room? The new store? I think my mind is a little confused as to how all of this new stuff is fitting in this building.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

It looks very nice inside with all of the details, very "turn of the century". Don't know if I'd wait more than 15 minutes to meet Mickey, though... Character meet and greets have never really been my thing as of late. :eek:

TinkerBell9988

I'm glad the M & G turned out nice and I look forward to seeing it. I was very worried about the mural and could just cry at the thought that TDO trashed it. Someone PLEASE tell me they saved it somehow. It'd be such a shame for such a gem to be lost forever at the hand of irreverent donkey's rears.

My above question is also related to the mural... Just forgot to add that in. Does anyone know if the mural is still there?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My above question is also related to the mural... Just forgot to add that in. Does anyone know if the mural is still there?

The mural is not there.

I know a lot of people like it, but I'm glad it's gone. It does not fit in with the new decor at all.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This question may have been asked, so I apologize in advance for any redundancy...

Before the interior of this building was changed to a meet and greet, the theater for the Walt Disney Story was still in the rear, showing classic animated shorts. Is this still there? And if it is not, what exactly is in its place? A M&G room? The new store? I think my mind is a little confused as to how all of this new stuff is fitting in this building.

I believe they are using all of the previous space, including all the theater space. The interior has been largely reconfigured, so the new rooms do not neccessarily fit in with the the previous room layouts.

TinkerBell9988

The mural is not there.

I know a lot of people like it, but I'm glad it's gone. It does not fit in with the new decor at all.

I believe they are using all of the previous space, including all the theater space. The interior has been largely reconfigured, so the new rooms do not neccessarily fit in with the the previous room layouts.

Thanks for the info. I liked the mural, but I do agree that it doesn't fit in with the new theme of the interior. I had no idea that the whole interior of the building was to be reconfigured.

Thanks for the info, Steve! :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I liked the mural, but I do agree that it doesn't fit in with the new theme of the interior. I had no idea that the whole interior of the building was to be reconfigured.

Thanks for the info, Steve! :)

You're welcome! :)

darthspielberg

Because it's not ready for large scale use either at Disneyland or WDW.

This should be in bold letters on the top of every page of this thread.

I imagine the new technology will be ready in a year or two, but people will not stop bringing it up. Personally I am fine with them taking their time to work out the kinks in that system while we have the familiar old sore throat Mickey.

RSoxNo1

Per the Disney Parks blog

Tony asks the question:
Will I be able to have an attraction fast pass and meet & greet fast pass at the same time?

And the response:
Tony – At this point, all Disney FASTPASS tickets are part of the same distribution system, so you will have to pick and choose.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...d-greet-debuts-april-1-at-magic-kingdom-park/

I have also followed up with this question:
Will there be two different Fastpasses for Mickey and the Princesses, or will there be a general character Fastpass that can be used in either queue?

MAF

Wow that looks frickin' amazing. So much better than that hideous farm backdrop and tent. :sohappy:

Rob562

Another thought/idea...

Earlier I supposed that the Princess M&G is only taking up a portion of the second theater at the back, and that it could be put back into a working theater again after they leave.

What if, either as part of the queue, or entirely separate, they actually put a magic show on that stage? Disney already has a travelling show called "Mickey's Magic Show"
http://disney.go.com/disneylive/mickeysmagicshow/

What if that acted as either a) a separate show that you wait in line for, with the M&G's with Mickey supposedly happening "between shows"; or b) seeing a short magic show becomes part of the overall M&G expereince? You'd wait in a single line, they'd fill the theater, you'd see a show, and then the M&G becomes seeing Mickey in his dressing room after the show?

-Rob

jmick71

look what i discovered when looking through pic of the new M&G http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.c...wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tst502877LARGE.jpg

does any body else think this is weird that mickey is with oswald and not minnie, and seems as if minnie is wishing luck to both of them?
maybe mickey and oswald are in the "magic show" together and soon oswald will join with mickey in the M&G and minnie, goofy, donald, and maybe daisy
moving to where the princesses are now( when they move to FL)
:shrug:

raven

First off, LOVE the new area. It's been in developement for a long time and it's great to see it all come together. They really did a great job with the theaming of this new area.

Kudos for the Magic Mickey video posters, but that just isn't enough. This area, while classy, seems incredibly generic – very temporary.

In the days where WDW is moving everything to interactive queues, I'm really surprised it seems like they've gone in the exact opposite direction with this one.

No. They are going in the correct direction. Don't knock it until you've actually experienced it. But then it seems that's what people do here on these boards anyway.

Yeah, I know much of what you've said. Still, I think a large screen and a bit more of a theater motif with large movie screens (even though it's supposed to be a stage theater) would've mad a huge difference.

You obviously don't have kids (which, let's face it, is who this area should be made for).

The theater screen could work easily if you make the screen area look like a stage (to give the feeling of it being a stage production rather than just a movie). Look, you're talking about a theater without a theater here, so you're already stretching it! I don't think it would be hard at all to make it work and look appropriate.

It's for families, not just kids. A performance theater is much different from a movie theater. You are waiting in the "lobby" portion of the theater but instead of going into the actual auditorium (stage) you go into his dressing room. Makes perfect sense.

I'm not holding my breath, but I'm still hoping Mickey eventually gets a more fitting home (like a new house in a new Toon Town) and that the bigger plan for this area is to become some kind of small-scale theater attraction in the future.

Nope, this is it. They spent a great amount of time and research on this for it to be temporary.

LouP

You Found an Imagineering Easter Egg!

look what i discovered when looking through pic of the new M&G http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.c...wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tst502877LARGE.jpg

does any body else think this is weird that mickey is with oswald and not minnie, and seems as if minnie is wishing luck to both of them?
maybe mickey and oswald are in the "magic show" together and soon oswald will join with mickey in the M&G and minnie, goofy, donald, and maybe daisy
moving to where the princesses are now( when they move to FL)
:shrug:

I'm not sure what this suggests about a possible role for Oswald at Town Square Theater, but I believe that note is a more of an Imagineering Easter Egg than anything else. Jason Grandt is the Concept Designer (and I believe, Art Director) for this project, and given the history of the Imagineers including their names in the theming of attractions, I suspect that's the story behind that note.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

magicsintheair!

Everything looks great!!! I hope they find a way to make the wait manageable and work in the fast passes like people have talked about! Now I am even more excited to go back to WDW

sweetpee_1993

The mural is not there.

I knew it didn't "fit in" but the mural would've at least been something worth saving. It was a piece that was painted by a Disney Legend, Bill Justice. If for no other reason, they could've sold that chunk of wall for a hefty penny. I woulda cleaned out my savings for it. It's part of the park history. :(

I really do hope they saved it. I really, really do.

jmick71

I'm not sure what this suggests about a possible role for Oswald at Town Square Theater, but I believe that note is a more of an Imagineering Easter Egg than anything else. Jason Grandt is the Concept Designer (and I believe, Art Director) for this project, and given the history of the Imagineers including their names in the theming of attractions, I suspect that's the story behind that note.

Take Care,

Lou Prosperi

yah prob just an easter egg :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom