PHOTOS - Town Square Theater soft opening including Mickey meet and greet

Pioneer Hall

I'm very impressed. I really feel that Disney is trying hard to get themselves back to a level that they used to be at. The theming here is great, and it makes me very excited for the level of theme that we will ultimately see in FL when all is said and done.

muse1983

Looks amazing! I'm surprised as to how long the que is....that's at least a 2 hour que if packed to capacity. I can't wait to check it out in person when we visit in Oct!:sohappy:

Mickey_777

I'm very impressed. I really feel that Disney is trying hard to get themselves back to a level that they used to be at. The theming here is great, and it makes me very excited for the level of theme that we will ultimately see in FL when all is said and done.

Right on. I know it's just a M&G but it's so well done. I love theming and what they've done inside and outside is awesome. The store too is beautiful. THIS is the level at which at which everything should be done at the premier Disney resort in the world. MK and WDW are healing :sohappy:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If anything is to be said in a not positive light, do we really need another store selling the same stuff you can get in every other store on Main Street????

It's very well positioned, and the merchandise is appropriate to the experience. It's also very nicely decorated - which is a very nice thing to see.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I like this new M&G a lot. I never realized there was so much space back there. It is a very fine home for the characters I think.

One question:

When SWSA comes down, and they move the Princesses there, will the rest of the fab 5 move in with Mickey and Minnie?

Mickey_777

It's very well positioned, and the merchandise is appropriate to the experience. It's also very nicely decorated - which is a very nice thing to see.

Yeah...we've all complained about more stores on Main Street but on the other hand we all LOVE shopping and getting our merch at WDW...ironic no?

Ignohippo

So then, where's the theater? Do I understand correctly that the new meet and greets actually take the place of where the theater used to be, yet they're calling this area the theater?

Why didn't they theme those large rooms as the theaters, with cartoons showing like the old theater used to, so that it would keep the young ones interested? At least the old Mickey tent had cartoons playing and the princesses had video monitors for the last bit of the wait; the Character Spot at epcot has cartoons playing throughout the entire queue. It would've fit perfectly with the theme AND would've made the boring wait a little more tolerable. Kudos for the Magic Mickey video posters, but that just isn't enough.

To me, the old area was much, much better. The princess area had chandeliers and bright colors and made you feel like you were in a castle; the pixie area had a mural to make the little ones feel like they were outside and shrinking. This area, while classy, seems incredibly generic – very temporary. There's nothing in the queue that would appeal to young kids or keep them from being incredibly, incredibly bored. And ask any parent, queues where there are ropes and places for bored kids to interact with other kids or disturb people when waiting in line is a really bad idea.

In the days where WDW is moving everything to interactive queues, I'm really surprised it seems like they've gone in the exact opposite direction with this one.

jumblue

So the answer to "the boy wizard" is a magical mouse! Of course!

Seriously though it all looks good, nice to see the detailed theming. Bodes well for what's going on just North of there...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The new Toy Story perhaps? Can't imagine there will be a lot of fastpasses considering capacity can't be all that high.

Yeah could well be. The fact that so many people are going to pass those FP machines on the way into the park surely means that they are going to be in high demand.

forevermickey

So then, where's the theater? Do I understand correctly that the new meet and greets actually take the place of where the theater used to be, yet they're calling this area the theater?

Why didn't they theme those large rooms as the theaters, with cartoons showing like the old theater used to, so that it would keep the young ones interested? At least the old Mickey tent had cartoons playing and the princesses had video monitors for the last bit of the wait; the Character Spot at epcot has cartoons playing throughout the entire queue. It would've fit perfectly with the theme AND would've made the boring wait a little more tolerable. Kudos for the Magic Mickey video posters, but that just isn't enough.

To me, the old area was much, much better. The princess area had chandeliers and bright colors and made you feel like you were in a castle; the pixie area had a mural to make the little ones feel like they were outside and shrinking. This area, while classy, seems incredibly generic – very temporary. There's nothing in the queue that would appeal to young kids or keep them from being incredibly, incredibly bored. And ask any parent, queues where there are ropes and places for bored kids to interact with other kids or disturb people when waiting in line is a really bad idea.

In the days where WDW is moving everything to interactive queues, I'm really surprised it seems like they've gone in the exact opposite direction with this one.
I am going to have to agree with you. First the possibility of Minnie not being there would be very disappointing to my daughter. I LOVE the cool posters, love that. But that being said, I agree that the cartoon clips (for young and old), princess Chandeliers, Pixie Hallow hallway was well themed. I don't want to be too critical because Disney usually doesn't disappoint me, so I guess I'll have to wait until Sept. to give my true feeling on it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am going to have to agree with you. First the possibility of Minnie not being there would be very disappointing to my daughter. I LOVE the cool posters, love that. But that being said, I agree that the cartoon clips (for young and old), princess Chandeliers, Pixie Hallow hallway was well themed. I don't want to be too critical because Disney usually doesn't disappoint me, so I guess I'll have to wait until Sept. to give my true feeling on it.

Minnie was never guaranteed in the Judges Tent either, so no change there.

hpyhnt 1000

I can understand your point about the lack of an actual "theater" in a meet greet that takes place in a theater. I will say that the overall theming is very much what one would expect to see in a dressing room or backstage area, so the details of the area certainly fit, even if there is no screen. Also, keep in mind that this area is themed to be more of a stage theater where live performances like vaudeville and magic acts would take place. The Main Street Cinema is where one would expect to find cartoons playing on a screen.

As for the rest of your posts, keep in mind that this is a temporary area for the Princesses, who will eventually be located in Fantasyland in an appropriately themed locale. I would imagine the Pixies will eventually receive their own more appropriately themed area once the Flower and Garden festival is over. With that in mind, putting colored chandeliers and over sized murals into this space would not be appropriate to the theme of Main Street, nor would it fit a meet and greet that will eventually be completely dedicated to Mickey.

Brett

The animated posters are quite similar to the animated artwork hung around the Disney Dream. Very nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom