PHOTOS - Town Square Theater soft opening including Mickey meet and greet

Expo_Seeker40

Just experienced it. As discussed, no talking mickey, or minnie. They were dressed in their normal costumes. 3 (maybe 4?) rooms. Cosmetically the main street theatre inside and out looks beautiful. Amazing how fresh it looks!

Here's my issue...while inside it's nice....it's so bare. Very few things to do and see. (Maybe they need to add interactive tomb stones in here too). You enter the lobby and the two theaters have been demolished, leaving a huge new hallway where mickey queue is on the right and princesses is on the back.

I only saw mickey. You queue switchback stye in the main hallway, then queue into a side room, it has nothing in it but a "main street firehouse" wall prop, you then get broken into groups, round a corner of this boring sideroom with an exit sign on the door...a standard sign....they open it, let the groups it...you then go into a dark wallpaper and wood paneled hallway with multiple doors, then see mickey and minnie in a nice dressing room, and then exit out the door into the new giftshop which sells almost all of the same stuff you can find anywhere else....you then exit down the curving ramp. so sad the character mural is gone, it used to be right in front of the side door and that whole area still exists, but was gutted for regular walls, not the curved wall that had the character mural.

Ignohippo

I can understand your point about the lack of an actual "theater" in a meet greet that takes place in a theater. I will say that the overall theming is very much what one would expect to see in a dressing room or backstage area, so the details of the area certainly fit, even if there is no screen. Also, keep in mind that this area is themed to be more of a stage theater where live performances like vaudeville and magic acts would take place. The Main Street Cinema is where one would expect to find cartoons playing on a screen.

As for the rest of your posts, keep in mind that this is a temporary area for the Princesses, who will eventually be located in Fantasyland in an appropriately themed locale. I would imagine the Pixies will eventually receive their own more appropriately themed area once the Flower and Garden festival is over. With that in mind, putting colored chandeliers and over sized murals into this space would not be appropriate to the theme of Main Street, nor would it fit a meet and greet that will eventually be completely dedicated to Mickey.

Yeah, I know much of what you've said. Still, I think a large screen and a bit more of a theater motif with large movie screens (even though it's supposed to be a stage theater) would've mad a huge difference.

The whole thing makes me wonder what the plan is for this area once the princesses move out. Will both sides be used for Mickey and Minnie? Will Mickey move to the circus with the rest of the fab 5? The expense of the makeover, as well as lack of any character specific permanent displays in the queue areas, certainly makes me curious as to what this area will be used for when the new FantasyLand is complete.

Could the Princess side and the meet and great areas eventually turned into an area for an attraction? Like a real theater? Remember, in Disneyland, this is the location for the Hall of Presidents (not to say the Presidents would move there, but possibly some other kind of smaller-scale production?). If Mickey and Minnie were moving here permanently, I would think the queues would be much more themed. Disney is moving too much on the way of interactive queues for this to be a permanent addition.

PKD

Yeah, I know much of what you've said. Still, I think a large screen and a bit more of a theater motif with large movie screens (even though it's supposed to be a stage theater) would've mad a huge difference.

How does putting a large Movie screen in a theatrical themed location fit? You don't walk into a performing arts center and seeing movie screens in the lobby, especially not at the turn of the century.

The building inside and out looks fantastic and fits the time period and theme very well. I agree, the queue is a bit bare, but I'm grateful they didn't add TV's or movie screens, that wouldn't fit the theme at all.

hpyhnt 1000

The whole thing makes me wonder what the plan is for this area once the princesses move out. Will both sides be used for Mickey and Minnie? Will Mickey move to the circus with the rest of the fab 5? The expense of the makeover, as well as lack of any character specific permanent displays in the queue areas, certainly makes me curious as to what this area will be used for when the new FantasyLand is complete.

Could the Princess side and the meet and great areas eventually turned into an area for an attraction? Like a real theater? Remember, in Disneyland, this is the location for the Hall of Presidents (not to say the Presidents would move there, but possibly some other kind of smaller-scale production?). If Mickey and Minnie were moving here permanently, I would think the queues would be much more themed. Disney is moving too much on the way of interactive queues for this to be a permanent addition.

I've been wondering about that too since it seems that they already have 3 or 4 rooms devoted to Mickey (as reported by Expo_Seeker); any more rooms just seems a bit excessive to me. And you're right that some areas of the queue, while very nicely decorated, do lack props and other things to look at, though possibly things will be added in the coming weeks. It has been pretty much confirmed that this wil be the permanent home for Mickey so he is not expected to be moved to the Circus area, but you're right in saying that there will be quite a bit of space available one the Princesses head back to Fantasyland.

Ignohippo

How does putting a large Movie screen in a theatrical themed location fit? You don't walk into a performing arts center and seeing movie screens in the lobby, especially not at the turn of the century.

The building inside and out looks fantastic and fits the time period and theme very well. I agree, the queue is a bit bare, but I'm grateful they didn't add TV's or movie screens, that wouldn't fit the theme at all.

You obviously don't have kids (which, let's face it, is who this area should be made for).

The theater screen could work easily if you make the screen area look like a stage (to give the feeling of it being a stage production rather than just a movie). Look, you're talking about a theater without a theater here, so you're already stretching it! I don't think it would be hard at all to make it work and look appropriate.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is going to be a popular pre and post parade cool off with the AC, and a handy get out of the rain spot in the summer.

PKD

You obviously don't have kids (which, let's face it, is who this area should be made for).

The theater screen could work easily if you make the screen area look like a stage (to give the feeling of it being a stage production rather than just a movie). Look, you're talking about a theater without a theater here, so you're already stretching it! I don't think it would be hard at all to make it work and look appropriate.

Well you know what they say when you assume something that you don't know as a fact.

As for the "stage" aspect of the building, the attraction isn't suppose to have one as you are entering the lobby and going through to the backstage area where you meet Mickey. This has always been the design from when we first started the conversion of the building as a whole.

Also, this attraction is for people of all ages not just YOUR kids.

Skip

I'm actually gonna have to agree with the supporters this time - this looks both classy and functional. Love the design, love the posters, and love all of the details in the dressing room (someone already pointed out the Alice reference, and the Sorcerer's Hat is a great touch as well). I'm very interested to see what happens in regards to the FastPass situation - how fast they sell out, how it effects the standby line, the standby to FastPass entrance ratio...

aladdin2007

Very detailed and ornate, done with care by the looks of it, this area is going to be a zoo but its nice there is finally something of value in the space, and very well designed. The only thing I have to get use to is the store. It looks like something that belongs in Hollywood Studios and not the Magic Kingdom. All those metal carts on wheels for merch is just a bit...I dont know, doesnt sit with me.

jmuboy

Still curious what characters are planned for the Princess side.

Also, is PHOTOPASS in the Box Office Gifts area?

Sorry as it has been awhile since I have visited a meet and greet with Mickey. How does this work? There are three or four (we are unsure yet) rooms all with Mickey? Is this achieved by splitting the line into multiple at some point or is each group lead into different rooms? If this is the case how do you prevent kids from asking “why are we going into that room if they went to see Mickey in that one?”

Also with respect to the princess side of the meet and greet, will this not just become the location for Goofy, Donald and Daisy?

Biff215

As others have said, it looks great! I was actually disappointed when it was announced that the houses would be demolished as I couldn't imagine finding Mickey anywhere else at the MK. And then when they announced this location, I have to admit, I didn't have high hopes. I stand corrected, however, as it seems they really did it right this time!

I do agree that the big room seems a bit bare and nightmarish for those of us with toddlers. Even though it really wouldn't fit Main Street, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see video monitors added down the line. The posters are great, but won't likely keep the attention of guests potentially standing in line for 60 minutes plus.

Thanks for the great pictures, Steve!

darthspielberg

Sorry as it has been awhile since I have visited a meet and greet with Mickey. How does this work? There are three or four (we are unsure yet) rooms all with Mickey? Is this achieved by splitting the line into multiple at some point or is each group lead into different rooms? If this is the case how do you prevent kids from asking “why are we going into that room if they went to see Mickey in that one?”

Also with respect to the princess side of the meet and greet, will this not just become the location for Goofy, Donald and Daisy?

I assume the point where the doors to different Mickey clones will not be in view of the actual waiting people to prevent that sort of thing.

jt04

As others have said, it looks great! I was actually disappointed when it was announced that the houses would be demolished as I couldn't imagine finding Mickey anywhere else at the MK. And then when they announced this location, I have to admit, I didn't have high hopes. I stand corrected, however, as it seems they really did it right this time!

I do agree that the big room seems a bit bare and nightmarish for those of us with toddlers. Even though it really wouldn't fit Main Street, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see video monitors added down the line. The posters are great, but won't likely keep the attention of guests potentially standing in line for 60 minutes plus.

Thanks for the great pictures, Steve!

The answer to the wait times is more m&g's around the park. I think they will add as many as necessary. Perhaps in the long run they won't need fastpass for m&gs at all and the queue will be necessary for only the busiest days.

On a sidenote I remember discussing the possibility they could have a stage show as part of the FLE that featured the princesses when it was rumored PH was not happening. I suggested they could contract with a famous magician to bring in some great illusions. I wonder if the princess side will have a magic theme too. I must have had the folks working on this thinking I had some inside info. Of course I don't.

sweetpee_1993

Just experienced it. As discussed, no talking mickey, or minnie. They were dressed in their normal costumes. 3 (maybe 4?) rooms. Cosmetically the main street theatre inside and out looks beautiful. Amazing how fresh it looks!

Here's my issue...while inside it's nice....it's so bare. Very few things to do and see. (Maybe they need to add interactive tomb stones in here too). You enter the lobby and the two theaters have been demolished, leaving a huge new hallway where mickey queue is on the right and princesses is on the back.

I only saw mickey. You queue switchback stye in the main hallway, then queue into a side room, it has nothing in it but a "main street firehouse" wall prop, you then get broken into groups, round a corner of this boring sideroom with an exit sign on the door...a standard sign....they open it, let the groups it...you then go into a dark wallpaper and wood paneled hallway with multiple doors, then see mickey and minnie in a nice dressing room, and then exit out the door into the new giftshop which sells almost all of the same stuff you can find anywhere else....you then exit down the curving ramp. so sad the character mural is gone, it used to be right in front of the side door and that whole area still exists, but was gutted for regular walls, not the curved wall that had the character mural.

I'm glad the M & G turned out nice and I look forward to seeing it. I was very worried about the mural and could just cry at the thought that TDO trashed it. Someone PLEASE tell me they saved it somehow. It'd be such a shame for such a gem to be lost forever at the hand of irreverent donkey's rears.

Figment1986

Only thing I can think of that could enhance the waiting area (after FP / standby merge) was maybe a piece of enchanted art or even just a normal poster....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom