PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

bgraham34

I don’t believe they have any intentions of changing the outside of the DVC longhouse from what they are now.

I went over to Aulani just before it opened to get a tour. I like how they did the rooms and the rooms in Tahiti and Rapa Nui are larger so they will have more room to work with. Maybe they will do the fold out bed under the TV.

I don’t see much of a capacity problem at the Polynesian just by adding on 20 rooms that will be too expensive to be full all the time.

The Aulani property is nice but does not sustain the amount of people there very well. Even Imagineering has been scrambling to add on to the facilities. When you are on the property it is well done but just outside the Ko olina property is not the best place in Oahu to be. I like a lot of the details at Aulani and there are a few that have been discussed possibly making it to the Polynesian. I think the new kids club will be more like the one at Aulani.

Don’t expect much if any of the new designs for the lobby to look like Aulani. Aulani was designed with 100% Hawaiian culture in mind. The Polynesia has more things that are representative of other Pacific Islands more than Hawaii and I believe you will see that in the new lobby design but to some it will still look Hawaiian.

I heard you on Enchanted Tiki Talk. You always have great info.

The kids club at Poly is a favorite for lots of people. I hope it does not change too much.

frontman

Looking at what is currently built now, the area they take up seems a bit smaller than normal Grand Villas.
That's what I was thinking but I'm by no means a DVC expert. We became members about a year ago... my wife and I, my parents, my brother and his wife, and all our kids (12 of us all together and one on the way). Wife and I made a quick trip in the fall to a studio at the Boardwalk. We have a work/vacation trip at the end of April scheduled at our home resort at BLT. Staying in a grand villa for the first time and we're all pretty excited about it. My parents love the Polynesian but they can't stand technology... so I've been feeding them nuggets about the project at the Polynesian. I'm selfishly hoping they buy some more points! LOL!!!

mthornto

a cotton mouth is a poisonous rattlesnake ...........
Actually it isn't a "rattlesnake" They don't have a warning rattle. They are a poisonous snake that lives in and near the water. They have a very white mouth (thus the "cottonmouth" name). They can be pretty aggressive.

tikiman

I guess I don’t quite relate to the comments about why they would build rooms over water that is not crystal clear and swimmable. It’s not very confusing to me….it’s for the view.

Many pay for a lagoon view to see the castle and fireworks as well as the lagoon itself. It’s part of the view with the reflection off the water. I don’t remember every hearing anyone complain about their Themepark view room because they could not run out across the beach and run into the water and take a swim?

It would be an incredible view from the deck of the bungalows with very little in your way. No worries about someone walking up to your patio and standing in front of you (yes it happened to me a few times). I also see it similar to renting Grand One to go out on the water to enjoy the view. I can’t see myself standing on the deck and complaining that I can’t jump off the boat into the water or that the boat ride around the lagoon was any less enjoyable because I could not see the white sandy bottom. Its all about the view.

I would have a concern with mosquitos during some times of the year being right over the water. One October we were eaten alive.

frontman

Never ceases to amaze me just how many people out there have no idea what a joke is... We're in a Disney forum folks... let's try to have some fun, okay?

frontman

I guess I don’t quite relate to the comments about why they would build rooms over water that is not crystal clear and swimmable. It’s not very confusing to me….it’s for the view.

Many pay for a lagoon view to see the castle and fireworks as well as the lagoon itself. It’s part of the view with the reflection off the water. I don’t remember every hearing anyone complain about their Themepark view room because they could not run out across the beach and run into the water and take a swim?

It would be an incredible view from the deck of the bungalows with very little in your way. No worries about someone walking up to your patio and standing in front of you (yes it happened to me a few times). I also see it similar to renting Grand One to go out on the water to enjoy the view. I can’t see myself standing on the deck and complaining that I can’t jump off the boat into the water or that the boat ride around the lagoon was any less enjoyable because I could not see the white sandy bottom. Its all about the view.

I would have a concern with mosquitos during some times of the year being right over the water. One October we were eaten alive.

Ditto... but that can happen anywhere in Florida, am I right? My wife and I got eaten alive all over the parks in November.... came home looking like we'd contracted the chicken pox!

tikiman

Ditto... but that can happen anywhere in Florida, am I right? My wife and I got eaten alive all over the parks in November.... came home looking like we'd contracted the chicken pox!

I'm sure your right. That was the first time I had ever been bitten that much but I was on the water at night. I know even back home around that time of year if I am by the water's edge at night I have been eaten alive. One time I had welts that were the size of golf balls from some of the bites. I never thought I would have to bring bug spray to Disney World...haha

SoupBone

Actually it isn't a "rattlesnake" They don't have a warning rattle. They are a poisonous snake that lives in and near the water. They have a very white mouth (thus the "cottonmouth" name). They can be pretty aggressive.

Actually it's not a poisonous snake, it's venomous. Just thought I'd add to all the corrections going on in this thread. :D

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Is there any speculation as to what those visually floating lagoon rooms will go for a night?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Is there any speculation as to what those visually floating lagoon rooms will go for a night?
Somewhere between an "Arm and a Leg" and your firstborn...

Seriously though, I'd not paid much attention to this construction project since I am not now (and barring a Powerball win will likely never be) a DVC member. So, clicking on the most recent photos and seeing these lagoon rooms was a HUGE shock. Those are great. I'm looking forward to looking into renting points for them in 5 years or so, only to cry at the prices.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
depends when but i would guess starting at 150 points a night..which if you rent points from someone equates about 1500 a night..hello!

Dear Lord, even in the neighborhood of $1500 an night. *sigh* *faint*:eek:

Translates to a mortgage payment per night or a half year of car payments, *ouch*

I am guessing the average guest will not likely be allowed to walk or set foot on that walkway out there.

bhg469

Dear Lord, even in the neighborhood of $1500 an night. *sigh* *faint*:eek:

Translates to a mortgage payment per night or a half year of car payments, *ouch*

I am guessing the average guest will not likely be allowed to walk or set foot on that walkway out there.
Maybe that brain eating amoeba is responsible for the people willing to shell out for these rooms.

tikiman

depends when but i would guess starting at 150 points a night..which if you rent points from someone equates about 1500 a night..hello!

That is about right from what I was told. I was also told there will be no access to even the walkways out to the bungalows unless you have a reservation in one.

There is a lot of talk behind the scenes but nothing set in stone but I believe that many want to make much of the resort off limits to non-resort guests. Officially the beach and pool area are supposed to be off limits to non-resort guests but we know how many people view fireworks that are not staying there. I know the pool will be gated when they are done but there has been talk, by those planning the project, of making it that you need key access to even wander the grounds of the resort. I suspect this is because the amount of people wandering the resort has increased and with DVC and the bungalows coming, more people are going to want to check things out. I think we will see new things go up to limit much of the resort to outside visitors. It will be interesting to see if these things happen when it is all done.

twebber55

That is about right from what I was told. I was also told there will be no access to even the walkways out to the bungalows unless you have a reservation in one.

There is a lot of talk behind the scenes but nothing set in stone but I believe that many want to make much of the resort off limits to non-resort guests. Officially the beach and pool area are supposed to be off limits to non-resort guests but we know how many people view fireworks that are not staying there. I know the pool will be gated when they are done but there has been talk, by those planning the project, of making it that you need key access to even wander the grounds of the resort. I suspect this is because the amount of people wandering the resort has increased and with DVC and the bungalows coming, more people are going to want to check things out. I think we will see new things go up to limit much of the resort to outside visitors. It will be interesting to see if these things happen when it is all done.
ill be the first to admit after a eat at ohanas i tend to walk around the resort especially by the beach

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom