PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

tikiman

@tikiman will they be expanding the Polynesian parking lot. Parking there is hell currently

Haha…Well it is funny you say that because every single time I have ever been at the Polynesian including big holidays I have never had a problem getting a spot. Even if I park at the last row it is a short walk. If you look at how far you need to walk from other deluxe resort self parking I think it is the closest. The only place I could not find parking a few times was the Dolphin and I had to valet it. Usually the parking lot next to Rapa Nui is not even half full.

With that said I know they are already in the process of expanding the parking lot over next to Rapa Nui but other than that I have not seen anything in the plans to create more parking. On the other hand they really are only adding 20 rooms more to the existing room count. Maybe part of the reason they scaled back plans from adding the two 5 story buildings was because they would have to build a parking garage to accommodate the added cars.

CDavid

Maybe part of the reason they scaled back plans from adding the two 5 story buildings was because they would have to build a parking garage to accommodate the added cars.

Seems like they could 'steal' some parking from a corner of the MK lot across the street, even rerouting Seven Seas Drive if necessary.

DougK

I have always been a POFQ dedicated person...but ever since I saw the bungalow rumors...unless they're insane pricing...I will splurge one trip and stay there....maybe. The Poly and Contemporary are really the only two Deluxe resorts I am interested in...Wilderness lodge is cool...but if I'm paying deluxe money...I want the monorail.

All rooms at the Polynesian are already at the insane pricing level.

tikiman

All rooms at the Polynesian are already at the insane pricing level.

Hold on to your helmets we are going from insane to ludicrous!

ludicrous-speed-2.jpg

Clamman73

Can you shed any light on what that wooden triangular structure is in the third pic? it looks like a roof of some kind

Framing for the roofs to go over the bungalows would be my guess.

Right...From the one pic with the fence and roof framing, it looks like an illusion of a building already, but from the far away pics you can see a bunch of pre-fab roof trusses on the mound.

tikiman

Right...From the one pic with the fence and roof framing, it looks like an illusion of a building already, but from the far away pics you can see a bunch of pre-fab roof trusses on the mound.

Yeah, if you look at the photos I posted you can see from the other side that there are a group of them together in the middle of nothing.

tl77

Framing for the roofs to go over the bungalows would be my guess.

So are the bungalows going to look like mini long houses then? Some of the stuff seemed like they would have grass roofs, but normally they try and make the add on DVC buildings match the architecture of the existing resort

tikiman

So are the bungalows going to look like mini long houses then? Some of the stuff seemed like they would have grass roofs, but normally they try and make the add on DVC buildings match the architecture of the existing resort

Yes they will look like the longhouses.

The whole grass roof, Tahiti style look was speculation on people's part of what they would look like but not based off any early renderings or anything. In fact the original Polynesian Village concepts that had huts near the water looked like mini longhouses.

Gregoryp73

I wouldn't rule out grass thatching on top of a sturdy metal roof. I think if they mirrored the long houses they might look a little funky on the water.

On a side note, I wonder what they are going to do to keep kids from diving from their patio? It doesn't seem too deep round those parts.

tikiman

I wouldn't rule out grass thatching on top of a sturdy metal roof. I think if they mirrored the long houses they might look a little funky on the water.

On a side note, I wonder what they are going to do to keep kids from diving from their patio? It doesn't seem too deep round those parts.

It’s possible but I don’t believe the roofs will have a natural top.

As far as jumping from the patio of the bungalows, I don’t see it as any more of a temptation or concern than the edge into the water in front of the rooms in Tuvalu. Kids could walk right over and into the water there and I have never heard of it happening.

tuvalufromlagoon.JPG

Poly1974

It’s possible but I don’t believe the roofs will have a natural top.

As far as jumping from the patio of the bungalows, I don’t see it as any more of a temptation or concern than the edge into the water in front of the rooms in Tuvalu. Kids could walk right over and into the water there and I have never heard of it happening.

tuvalufromlagoon.JPG

That will always be the Samoa to me. Is that pic recent? It looks like they removed a lot of the palm trees in front of the rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom