PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

Scuttle

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Scuttle

@Scuttle When are you going to sprout wings for some altitude shots?
I really hope soon. I've been working on my degree via Clep and DSST while simultaneously juggling full time flight school. This is the first day I've had off in weeks. I haven't had any time for leisure flights, aka disney aerials, but I'll get up ASAP for Avatar pics I promise. Maybe they will actually break REAL ground by the summer;)

Tom

Beta Return
I believe those pilings are for the continued construction of the bungalows. I don’t think they have installed the pilings for the bungalows over in front of Tahiti. There will be 20 of these when they are done. There are concept art and models of the DVC expansion for the Polynesian but they have been good about not saving photos electronically so they don’t end up on the internet. The bungalows are all 2 bedrooms that sleep 9.

Ok, good, so they're not going to be Grand Villas. 2-BRs makes much more sense, and I bet they actually build them as 1-BRs with a lock-off studio, so they can maximize the renting potential. It wouldn't make sense to build dedicated 2-BRs.

And to compare, a 2-BR Lake View Villa at the Grand Floridian goes from 55 (low seasons) to 102 (peak seasons) points per night. A 3-BR Grand Villa, which sleeps 12, goes from 112 - 193 points per night.

150 points per night for one of these is still steep, even given DVC standards. They're not worth 48 points a night more than a Grand Floridian Villa at peak season....in my opinion.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ok, good, so they're not going to be Grand Villas. 2-BRs makes much more sense, and I bet they actually build them as 1-BRs with a lock-off studio, so they can maximize the renting potential. It wouldn't make sense to build dedicated 2-BRs.

And to compare, a 2-BR Lake View Villa at the Grand Floridian goes from 55 (low seasons) to 102 (peak seasons) points per night. A 3-BR Grand Villa, which sleeps 12, goes from 112 - 193 points per night.

150 points per night for one of these is still steep, even given DVC standards. They're not worth 48 points a night more than a Grand Floridian Villa at peak season....in my opinion.
But you can fish off of them.........

majortom1981

I understand the comparison but I don't think that's anywhere close to what others here are suggesting. The treehouses were increased since opening, but still don't command close to 150 points a night (at most half that). The treehouses don't have an MK view or monorail close by, and Disney knows that.

Why would they be priced so high? Grand Floridian villas are high priced because it is supposed to be their top hotel. Bay lakes two bedrooms aren't that high . I still think they will be priced at the same points as the tree house villas considering they are similar. Both being spate buildings for each 2 bedroom unit. they wont put them near grand Floridian 2 bedroom points because it will devalue the grand floridain.

Bay lakes 2 bedroom theme park views go for 50 or 59 a night depending on if its a weekend or weekday

tikiman

I guess we will know by next year but even with them being 2 bedrooms they are still calling them Grand Villas. I don't know enough about DVC but I'm guessing Disney can call them anything they want. Does it say that a Grand Villa has to be more than 2 bedrooms or has it just been that way up to now? Also I have never heard them say that they would be lockoffs.

tikiman

Pond scum and snakes.

I’m not one of those people that think building over the water was a bad idea. I think it gives you great views of the lake and Magic Kingdom but I don’t see why you would take up square footage by cutting a hole in the floor to put a window to look at lake water. Also it does not look like there are any holes cut in the floor of the existing rooms so I am putting this one in the false rumor category. I have never heard anyone that is working on the project ever say they even considered putting glass bottoms in the rooms.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I’m not one of those people that think building over the water was a bad idea. I think it gives you great views of the lake and Magic Kingdom but I don’t see why you would take up square footage by cutting a hole in the floor to put a window to look at lake water. Also it does not look like there are any holes cut in the floor of the existing rooms so I am putting this one in the false rumor category. I have never heard anyone that is working on the project ever say they even considered putting glass bottoms in the rooms.

I'm opposed to it as it goes against everything that a bungalow should be. IE, access to the water. The water being clear, clean, and swimmable. A gorgeous view of clear clean water, and the next bungalow being 50 feet away at least... not 50 inches away.

Sure, you got a great, unobstructed view of the MK. Awesome. Amazing, in fact. But I also had that from the beach directly across from the MK, while parked in a lounge chair, feet dug into the sand, and a strong adult beverage in hand.

I just don't get it, but that's ok, because I'm obviously not the target audience for these bungalows. So as long as someone gets it, that's all that matters, right?

ryguy

Just can't get my head around these bungalows. I still think this concept sounds better on paper than in reality, At least for us Poly fans, Disney,however,will be pleased by the revenue I am sure.

My concern is that all the changes will take away from the general feel of the resort. Locking people out of the resort main areas (which I get) also takes away something too. The bungalows also change the look and feel of the Seven Seas Lagoon, which I think is a magical place.

The fact is our little gem is changing and all us Poly fans have to face this reality. I do admit I fear change and I am still writhing about the Contemporary's (ground floor) game room closing, but that's something me and my therapist are still working out ;)

jmmc

I can understand any of the villas are going to be expensive, but I sure do wish at least one of the monorail resorts was cheaper. I've always wanted to stay at one of these places, but around $400 a night is just too much for me. That, combined with the fact that I really go to Disney more for the parks, and that there are plenty of nice moderate and even value resorts out there, I just can't do it.

bgraham34

I heard you on Enchanted Tiki Talk podcast talking about this. Great job by the way. But having a tv on the floor with an ocean bottom is another thing but still not a good idea.

tikiman

I heard you on Enchanted Tiki Talk podcast talking about this. Great job by the way. But having a tv on the floor with an ocean bottom is another thing but still not a good idea.

Ha…thanks :)
I don’t see them putting anything in but I just figured if they did anything they would have a monitor with some digital animation showing water and creatures like they do with the ship animated portholes. No one involved with the project has even suggested they will do anything like that.

Tom

Beta Return
I guess we will know by next year but even with them being 2 bedrooms they are still calling them Grand Villas. I don't know enough about DVC but I'm guessing Disney can call them anything they want. Does it say that a Grand Villa has to be more than 2 bedrooms or has it just been that way up to now? Also I have never heard them say that they would be lockoffs.

I'd have to double check, but as far as I know, all of the DVC Grand Villas have 3-bedrooms and sleep 12+. They have Studios, 1BR, 2BR and Grand Villas. If these are 2BR and they refer to them as Grand Villas, they will have created yet another "standard". It would be very confusing to members, since each of those room types means something specific.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom