PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Like what hotels exactly? I doubt any of those hotels have a view directly across the Magic Kingdom.

it looks like an average hotel room, Anywhere USA... Well except for the view.
I like the decor hanging on the balconies but feel like this will be cut off the plans quickly..
Well...much like the lobby plans, they certainly are underwhelming... meh...

I believe @Bocabear mentioned that the view was an exception.

I also think the room in the concept art looks pretty underwhelming. Definitely average at best IMO. I really liked the decor of the Poly rooms I've stayed in on past trips and think the decor in those rooms looked way cooler than these. However, I'm basing my opinion on concept art alone and I also haven't stayed at the Poly since June 2013.

tl77

So...does this mean there will be no 1BR and 2BR villas in the DVC longhouse retrofits? Just studios?

They are calling them "Deluxe Studios" this is from the info from the Disney Parks Blog

"The largest Deluxe Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort. The 360 Deluxe Studios will sleep up to five guests each and have the ability to connect to another Deluxe Studio, the first time we have done this at a Disney Vacation Club Resort. Similar to Disney Cruise Line ships and The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the rooms will each have a bathroom separated into two areas, one with a shower and sink and the other with a sink and tub/shower. Plus, they also will have kitchenettes and enhanced storage space for convenience and comfort."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-for-disneys-polynesian-villas-and-bungalows/

Little Green Men

I believe @Bocabear mentioned that the view was an exception.

I also think the room in the concept art looks pretty underwhelming. Definitely average at best IMO. I really liked the decor of the Poly rooms I've stayed in on past trips and think the decor in those rooms looked way cooler than these. However, I'm basing my opinion on concept art alone and I also haven't stayed at the Poly since June 2013.

Oops you're right! I must have missed that.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I'm not impressed.I don't dislike them but Disney Magical, nope. To bad in reality Disney can't make the lake water look as good as the concept lake water. Sad when a deck is the main draw.

Any idea/guesses of points per studio night for hut?

PirateFrank

They are calling them "Deluxe Studios" this is from the info from the Disney Parks Blog

"The largest Deluxe Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort. The 360 Deluxe Studios will sleep up to five guests each and have the ability to connect to another Deluxe Studio, the first time we have done this at a Disney Vacation Club Resort. Similar to Disney Cruise Line ships and The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the rooms will each have a bathroom separated into two areas, one with a shower and sink and the other with a sink and tub/shower. Plus, they also will have kitchenettes and enhanced storage space for convenience and comfort."

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-for-disneys-polynesian-villas-and-bungalows/

Thanks, reading this, I strongly suspect DVC preparing people that they intend to make these the most expensive studios (in terms of dVC points) anywhere on property. Tikiman has already suggested that the bungalows will go for 150+/night. These will be similarly inflated.

I thought they were flat out nuts when they were asking the numbers they were asking at GFV - you could have a 30-60% longer stay elsewhere on property for the same amount of points it would take to stay at GFV.

tikiman

I'm wondering what the inside of the inside of the bungalows will look like. @tikiman, have you seen what they will look like at all? I'm sort of picturing them as similar in layout to the Treehouse Villas.

I posted some photos on my DVC page and in my DVC Flickr album of the inside of the bungalows.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/the-resort/dvc/item/194-dvc-news-and-information

You walk in the front door that is centered on the bungalow. To the left in the first part is a bathroom with a separate shower and a jetted tub. The bedrooms are off to the right and the hallway runs the center until it hits a great room. There was a mount for a TV on the wall but what was odd is there was no area that had connections or pipes coming through the dry wall anywhere that indicated a kitchen would be going in. When I was told a while ago that there would be no full size kitchens I figured they were referring to the longhouses but now I wonder if it means that there are no full size kitchens in the bungalows. Either that or they had not punched through the dry wall to put the plumbing. They seem to have plumbing for everything else in before the dry wall went up.

the Flickr album has a link on the bottom of this page.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/the-resort/dvc/item/191-disney-vacation-club

awilliams4

So, the Studio Tub will NOT be a Jacuzzi type tub like they have in the 1 & 2 Bedrooms and Grand Villas at the other DVC resorts?

Basically, if you have a Jacuzzi tub, you must go with the bungalows?

tikiman

So, the Studio Tub will NOT be a Jacuzzi type tub like they have in the 1 & 2 Bedrooms and Grand Villas at the other DVC resorts?

Basically, if you have a Jacuzzi tub, you must go with the bungalows?

The one I saw was not jetted in the studio so I would assume none have jetted tubs outside the bungalows.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Then they did a poor job of that. Unless they plan on changing the look of the long houses to match these.

The roof of the bungalows is the same style as the existing long houses. They may not be the same color, but they are the same shape and look to them. They look pretty similar to me. A thatched roof would be a completely different look.

The-Villas-at-Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_22878.jpg

Polynesian-Resort-wallpaper.jpg

I'm not saying different is bad, but I think the reason they made the roof this way is to blend in with the existing resort. One of the common complaints I hear about BLT is that it does not fit in next to CR and doesn't blend well with the rest of the resort. Maybe they were trying to avoid that same situation.

RayTheFirefly

The roof of the bungalows is the same style as the existing long houses. They may not be the same color, but they are the same shape and look to them. They look pretty similar to me. A thatched roof would be a completely different look.

View attachment 76270

View attachment 76269

I'm not saying different is bad, but I think the reason they made the roof this way is to blend in with the existing resort. One of the common complaints I hear about BLT is that it does not fit in next to CR and doesn't blend well with the rest of the resort. Maybe they were trying to avoid that same situation.

The roof is a different material and slightly different pitch/shape than the main long houses. So it doesn't blend any better than a more authentic thatched look would've. Google "tropical hut over water" and see what 100% of the results look like.

If they'd used the same reddish brown metal roofing, I wouldn't really mind. Not to mention the material they used (from far away) looks like the architectural asphalt shingles used on 95% of American homes, so it just looks looks cheap to me. And trust me, I'm not a hater like many here. I'm just picky when it comes to construction material.

Just my opinion. I definitely see your point, I just disagree.

tl77

Thanks, reading this, I strongly suspect DVC preparing people that they intend to make these the most expensive studios (in terms of dVC points) anywhere on property. Tikiman has already suggested that the bungalows will go for 150+/night. These will be similarly inflated.

I thought they were flat out nuts when they were asking the numbers they were asking at GFV - you could have a 30-60% longer stay elsewhere on property for the same amount of points it would take to stay at GFV.

Yeah they really seem to be charging a lot extra for the MK-Monorail DVCs like the do with the standard Monorail Resort rooms, but if you want to go to MK you spend a lot less time traveling that way.

We were just down at Old Key West, which has the biggest rooms for the fewest points, but would spend around 40 mins waiting for and riding buses each way to MK, and this was the week before Thanksgiving which is one of the least busy times of year. I'm still not sure if it would have been better to stay at Bay Lake Tower for a few days less and been able to walk to MK if it gets you an extra hour+ in the park each day

Vegas Disney Fan

If they'd used the same reddish brown metal roofing, I wouldn't really mind. Not to mention the material they used (from far away) looks like the architectural asphalt shingles used on 95% of American homes, so it just looks looks cheap to me. And trust me, I'm not a hater like many here. I'm just picky when it comes to construction material.

This is my biggest complaint with the bungalows, I think the roof should have been the same red roofing used on the rest of the resort. I also think it odd they are painted a slightly different color than the longhouses. I like how the bungalows look, I just wish they blended better with the main resort. They remind me of an addition to a historic house, they look similar to the original design style but there are enough subtle differences you can tell they are an addition, they don't look bad, they just don't look quite right.

For a company like Disney that is famous for being so detail oriented it's a bit disappointing.

RayTheFirefly

This is my biggest complaint with the bungalows, I think the roof should have been the same red roofing used on the rest of the resort. I also think it odd they are painted a slightly different color than the longhouses. I like how the bungalows look, I just wish they blended better with the main resort. They remind me of an addition to a historic house, they look similar to the original design style but there are enough subtle differences you can tell they are an addition, they don't look bad, they just don't look quite right.

For a company like Disney that is famous for being so detail oriented it's a bit disappointing.
To me, the differences are not very subtle. They're pretty glaring. Maybe I'm just nitpicking though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The roof is a different material and slightly different pitch/shape than the main long houses. So it doesn't blend any better than a more authentic thatched look would've. Google "tropical hut over water" and see what 100% of the results look like.

Just my opinion. I definitely see your point, I just disagree.
I do agree that the thatched roof would be better. I actually have no problem with the bungalows looking different than the main buildings, but a lot of people feel they should look the same to blend in.

RayTheFirefly

I do agree that the thatched roof would be better. I actually have no problem with the bungalows looking different than the main buildings, but a lot of people feel they should look the same to blend in.
I don't mind them looking different, but I think if they're going to be different, they should be more authentic looking. Or at least less cheap looking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom