PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

Goofyernmost

The

The difference is the thematic details on the long houses the faux lodgepoles and roofing material come immediately to mind.

Details like those used to define the 'Disney Difference' but without attention to those details.

We have buildings which evoke 'Pizza Hut' instead of 'South Seas Island Home' and instead of the South Seas Lagoon which was once crystal clear and swimmable now is the fetid Bay Lake infested with Amoeba
I think "crystal clear" is a bit of an exaggeration. It has never been that way. And curse Disney for stocking that land locked lake with Amoeba's.

Bolt

The

The difference is the thematic details on the long houses the faux lodgepoles and roofing material come immediately to mind.

Details like those used to define the 'Disney Difference' but without attention to those details.

We have buildings which evoke 'Pizza Hut' instead of 'South Seas Island Home' and instead of the South Seas Lagoon which was once crystal clear and swimmable now is the fetid Bay Lake infested with Amoeba
I hope someone or something makes you happy in life.

alissafalco

Additional Polynesian Resort DVC construction photo update, as of Monday, Dec 1.

There is a large berm between the beach and the view of the villas, mostly behind the construction wall. This feature wasn't there before construction started, it was just a beach. In the first photo, notice the top of the berm is leveled-off (flat). There is a yellow construction tractor at the left end of the berm, which then slopes to the left towards the water.

View attachment 75499

From another vantage point, the second photo shows the right end of the berm which is attached to the mainland. At this end, there is a new support building in dark green visible here. I don't have another photo to explain, but this green building has a lower level (in gray here) and another attached building on the right that is located at the original ground level. The green color should allow the buildings to "disappear" when surrounded by plants and trees in the future.

The top and sides of the berm have marking flags all over. To me, this is an obvious foundation grade for a new structure. Now for the interesting part. A construction worker said there will be a new restaurant located on this berm, overlooking the water. He had overheard this from other personnel. The new support building would make sense, as it would allow ground level delivery trucks, and a way to move deliveries to the higher berm level.

Is this a known feature of the Polynesian Resort DVC plan? Or just another rumor?

View attachment 75500
@tikiman might know if a restaurant is going there or not. Maybe Trader Sams?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep. It is sad that someone would somehow hint that it is Disney's fault for the fresh water having amoebas. It is a real issue for fresh water lakes in Florida.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/15/health/amoeba-case-florida-warning/

You just don't get it back in the 70's and 80's what is known today as bay lake was safe to swim in and the water was treated to make it safe.

Now that bay lake is largely a stagnant body of water the threat of the amoeba is back because it's ideal growth conditions are in mud bottoms of stagnant bodies of water which describes today's 'bay lake'

That wave machine was useful for more than atmosphere

It would be instructive on how Disney accomplished the water polishing back in the day.

Historians any documents???

Little Green Men

It doesn't matter if they treated it, the amoeba would still be there, it just wasn't known in the 70's. The wave machine was removed because it was causing erosion on the beach, not because it was too expensive. That had nothing to do with the bacteria.

JLipnick

I have a copy of the official rendering for this whole area and while it looks like paths and planting areas around the old Sunset Pointe i can assure you it shows no other structure and there.

I posted the blue print of Trader Sams and it is located inside the GCH.
One question i had for the changes to the GCH was will there be new or updated elevators? the only elevator in the building was old and smelled really bad not to mention there was only one elevator. with all of the strollers, it makes it very difficult for people in wheelchairs or walkers to get a chance to get on the elevator. i know it is not easy to add an elevator to an existing building but it really is needed.

Victor Kelly

Maybe that rise is the new knoll. May be a good place to watch fireworks or even do a workout.

There is no way for the water in that lake to circulate properly. WDW stands smack dab in a tributary of the Everglades, Disney rerouted water flow around the parks and property for storm water management as well as normal flow. However, it is being learned that this was a bad idea. I am no expert on this, but I have read it before and it does sound reasonable.

Horizons1

I have a copy of the official rendering for this whole area and while it looks like paths and planting areas around the old Sunset Pointe i can assure you it shows no other structure and there.

I posted the blue print of Trader Sams and it is located inside the GCH.
Do we get to see or is that a no-no?

googilycub

You just don't get it back in the 70's and 80's what is known today as bay lake was safe to swim in and the water was treated to make it safe.

Now that bay lake is largely a stagnant body of water the threat of the amoeba is back because it's ideal growth conditions are in mud bottoms of stagnant bodies of water which describes today's 'bay lake'

That wave machine was useful for more than atmosphere

It would be instructive on how Disney accomplished the water polishing back in the day.

Historians any documents???

There is no proof that the lake was "treated". There was limited to no knowledge of the amoeba back then. It was not even discovered until 1965. Many say that deaths caused by the amoeba were misdiagnosed as bacterial meningitis, as the symptoms as very similar. To say it was "safe" is looking through rose colored glasses that you seem unwilling to put down.

FYI, the wave machine was not it Bay Lake, it was in Seven Seas Lagoon. It was shut down in 1973, so it had nothing to do with the condition of the lake after it, the lake would have been just as stagnant from then on as it is now.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...quot-to-seven-seas-lagoon-s-wave-machine.aspx

It is also worth pointing out that just about everything I have ever read about the wave machine, from the linked Jim Hill article, to David Koeing's book Realityland, say that the wave machine was less than reliable. It was about as good as a piece of junk, and rarely worked. If WDW had the same machine today, you no doubt would be whining about how having such a piece of junk is proof that things were better "back in the day".

khale1970

I hope someone or something makes you happy in life.

Not gonna happen. He** hath no fury like a woman scorned or someone who way overspent and now regrets a timeshare purchase. But cut him some slack. He's the fella we all need to remind us that the vacation we enjoyed was actually miserable. There is no joy in Mudville or @ford91exploder land.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not gonna happen. He** hath no fury like a woman scorned or someone who way overspent and now regrets a timeshare purchase. But cut him some slack. He's the fella we all need to remind us that the vacation we enjoyed was actually miserable. There is no joy in Mudville or @ford91exploder land.

I've been going to the parks for 30 years now starting as a kid, I've watched the dramatic decline in quality over the past 5 years or so.

I've seen the unique dinnerware which was once at AKL being replaced with dinnerware which is more appropriate to the enlisted mans mess. Let's just say I've had DVC since the time when park passes were INCLUDED in your annual membership.

I own points at a price point where I could sell all of them for a profit relative to what I paid. So buyers remorse does not enter into the equation.

A couple of years with surly resort staff, Needing to engage Member Services/Guide to get issues with room fixed which could have been handled at resort level.

Poor mousekeeping with moldy carpets and windows so dirty you literally cannot see through them ( power wash residue) what grinds my gears is when you complain about issues the attitude is "what do you want me to do about it?" Perhaps fix it without me asking for two days running then needing to call Member Service about unacceptable service received.

I travel for a living and spend enough time in good hotels in major metro areas to have a basis for comparison on level of service and the way Disney runs it's hotels would be unacceptable to Hilton/Marriott especially the poor condition of most of the units.

Yet my family still has a good time when they visit and the extended family is getting a week in a Grand Villa over the holidays.

That is why I have not sold points, until quality standards improve I will continue to complain loudly.

WDWtraveler

Polynesian Lobby redevelopment photo update as of Saturday, Dec 6. The curtains were "parted" in several places on the second level. Everyone was looking. Flat rocks were being installed around the planters.

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4174.JPG

WDWtraveler

Polynesian Resort DVC photo update as of Saturday, Dec 6. Since my last posting on Dec 1, the berm has been planted with large palm trees. Based on the following photos, this area appears to be walking paths with future tropical vegetation. Note at the left end of the berm, there is a new concrete block structure (gray) inset into the berm. A close-up of this structure appears in another photo below.

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

This is a close-up of the new support building at the east end of the berm, closest to the existing resort lodge buildings. Unknown function of this building. The right side (with two sets of doors) faces the Polynesian backstage support area. There is a second, smaller new support building just to the right, behind these palms. This second building has a green metal pitched roof.

IMG_4179.JPG

Nubs70

Polynesian Resort DVC photo update as of Saturday, Dec 6. Since my last posting on Dec 1, the berm has been planted with large palm trees. Based on the following photos, this area appears to be walking paths with future tropical vegetation. Note at the left end of the berm, there is a new concrete block structure (gray) inset into the berm. A close-up of this structure appears in another photo below.

View attachment 75884

View attachment 75885

View attachment 75886

This is a close-up of the new support building at the east end of the berm, closest to the existing resort lodge buildings. Unknown function of this building. The right side (with two sets of doors) faces the Polynesian backstage support area. There is a second, smaller new support building just to the right, behind these palms. This second building has a green metal pitched roof.

View attachment 75887
Looks as if the building houses a lift station

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom