PHOTOS - New interactive Haunted Mansion queue opens for guest previews today

yankspy

But what is it that makes the Disney attractions and parks fun? Why has it been so hard for so many to replicate Disney's success and level of fan devotion? While it may not be the whole reason, there is a lot of documentation out there from the people involved citing both Walt Disney's and eventually their own commitment to thinking about and sweating the "small stuff". It is perfectly acceptable to not want to bother with what you call "over analysis," but that in no way discounts our enjoyment in the analyses or proves that serious and meticulous thought did not occur or is unwarranted.
Perhaps over-analysis was wrong since that assumes that you are going overboard and I did not mean to suggest that.

I still think that certain parts of the mansion replicate the cartoony nature of the new area though. The portraits in the stretching room are one example.

yankspy

Dear lord, I'm about to agree with imagineer boy. :lookaroun

I've already said in Animaniac's thread that I like these queue enhancements in principle, and I'll stick with that. I think they work perfectly over at Pooh.

But after seeing the video, I'm not sure they fit the Mansion. HM has a specific narrative arc...you start off with the dark, foreboding, slightly menacing feel of the lobby, stretching room, inner queue, library, etc. which then segues into a jaunty, musical spook party in the graveyard (with the seance and ballroom serving as the barrier between the two).

With this, it looks like the more upbeat and jazzy parts of the story are now integrated into the queue, which gets things a bit out of order. A spot where kids used to look around nervously while a lonely dog howled in the distance (Speaking of which, did they remove the dog? I never heard him during my 5 or so rides in January) is now a spot where they'll jam out to a ghoulish rock concert.

I will take solace that it sounds like the stretch of queue leading up to the front doors doesn't have this stuff, so that little area can at least maintain some of the somber and creepy feel that you need when you enter the manor.
I noticed this last week when I was there. I did not hear it as well. That would be upsetting. This sounds strange but that simple effect had a huge impact. You could hear it from such a distance. It almost invited you over to the attraction.

Wilt Dasney

As a PS, I made my last post about halfway through the first page of the thread. After slogging through the rest, it appears I'm a bit late to the party. :lol:

Here's one thought that does often occur to me on threads like this:

I really, truly understand the logic behind saying "Can't we all just wait until we see it in person before we draw conclusions?" It's a reasonable way of staving off initial over-reactions when something is in a testing phase or (even earlier in the game) when all we have is artwork or a brief description from a company mouthpiece.

But like any well-intentioned and generally logical idea, it can be carried to extremes and lose any utility it might have possessed.

I have seen a lot of (what I take as) rather mild and well-reasoned criticisms of the new additions in this thread. (I'm not afraid to say I think I just wrote one!) Granted, some folks have been much more definitive in "drawing a line in the sand," but for the most part the reactions have struck me as provisionally based on a perspective of limited knowledge.

Now, what if we all took the dictum to hold off judgment until we've seen it for ourselves, or until the final product is unveiled, to be inviolable wisdom as opposed to a generally reasonable guideline? This thread would read somewhat like this:

Steve: "Here's some pics of the new HM queue."

Everyone: "It would be premature to express either pleasure or dismay. I will reserve judgment until I know more. Thanks for the photos!"

Not a very interesting read!

I guess what I'm saying is...don't take "being reasonable" so seriously that you end up embracing an unreasonable position. It's unreasonable to expect people not to form opinions on things they don't have all the information on, or even things they haven't experienced.

It is reasonable to ask people to maintain some degree of tentative agnosticism on the topic at hand, and to take opinions from people with more first hand knowledge more seriously...but lately I get the feeling that the "stop jumping to conclusions!" card is being brandished somewhat in bad faith, essentially as a way of trying to mock anybody for ever expressing an opinion on anything they haven't seen in person. That's not what this place should be.

Opinions are the lifeblood of a discussion board like this. Those who express them should be encouraged to channel them with good humor and humility, but they should never be told in essence "You haven't earned the right to an opinion on this yet."

Basically...if we could stop being so hard on each other, I think everybody would have a lot more fun — even when they disagree!

HBG2

Good points, but even more important is to simply listen to what the critics are complaining about. If this one thinks it's bad because the colors look kind of cheesy, then it makes sense to ask him to reserve judgment until he can see it in person or at least has seen many different photos of it. But if someone thinks it's bad because of conceptual stuff ("there's no way the banshee ghosts should be depicted on the organist's crypt"), then seeing it in person can't possibly make any difference, so it's stupid to tell them they should wait until they see it.

gerryu21220

Good points, but even more important is to simply listen to what the critics are complaining about. If this one thinks it's bad because the colors look kind of cheesy, then it makes sense to ask him to reserve judgment until he can see it in person or at least has seen many different photos of it. But if someone thinks it's bad because of conceptual stuff ("there's no way the banshee ghosts should be depicted on the organist's crypt"), then seeing it in person can't possibly make any difference, so it's stupid to tell them they should wait until they see it.

Agreed. I don't need to see it in person to know that most of what's presented in the new queue addition is totally out of place. Just as I didn't need to see the 2007 additions in person to know that I liked most of them.

TDO has a tendency to plus things that never needed it, such as replacing nearly all the vocals in the graveyard jamboree. They're terrible. There was absolutely no reason to have done that, ruining the very carefully crafted characterizations of the graveyard inhabitants that worked so well for nearly forty years. Not once have I read a logical explanation as to why they did that. I don't need to hear it in person to know that it's truly awful.

I haven't seen the Mansion in person since 1997, but I don't need to in order to know what works well and what doesn't work at all. It's obvious that the crew that designed this new queue is not the same crew that designed the 2007 enhancements.

One disturbing thing I did notice is that in one of the new videos, the original queue is blocked off and guests are forced to go through the new section. It was blocked off by those same potted palms that at one point blocked access to the new busts on the first soft opening. (Those plants have seen a lot of action lately!) They didn't give guests a choice that day. In most other instances, they gave guests a choice between the "fast" side and the "fun" side. So, it would appear they are considering blocking off the "fast" side permanently. More testing, I presume. Hopefully that option does not become permanent.

Wilt Dasney

The difference between aesthetic and conceptual criticisms, and the different burdens incumbent on those making them, did occur to me...but that seemed like too much territory to cover in an already long-winded post. :lol:

imagineer boy

Dear lord, I'm about to agree with imagineer boy. :lookaroun

GASP! HORRORS! SHOCK! :lol:

I've already said in Animaniac's thread that I like these queue enhancements in principle, and I'll stick with that. I think they work perfectly over at Pooh.

Agreed, I think the Pooh queue enhancements were perfectly done and it was a ride that really needed it too.

A spot where kids used to look around nervously while a lonely dog howled in the distance (Speaking of which, did they remove the dog? I never heard him during my 5 or so rides in January) is now a spot where they'll jam out to a ghoulish rock concert.

I didn't hear him when I was there in October. Such a shame, because it was a great atmospheric element.

Also, can someone PLEASE confirm if the ride building is covered or not?

I will take solace that it sounds like the stretch of queue leading up to the front doors doesn't have this stuff, so that little area can at least maintain some of the somber and creepy feel that you need when you enter the manor.

Agreed. I don't think the new queue is totally bad, it just needs a lot of tweaking. Some of the louder effects can go to the exit of the attraction while the queue effects need to be quieter and more subtle. Like maybe you somehow activate a tombstone to shift slightly in its place.

As a PS, I made my last post about halfway through the first page of the thread. After slogging through the rest, it appears I'm a bit late to the party. :lol:

Here's one thought that does often occur to me on threads like this:

I really, truly understand the logic behind saying "Can't we all just wait until we see it in person before we draw conclusions?" It's a reasonable way of staving off initial over-reactions when something is in a testing phase or (even earlier in the game) when all we have is artwork or a brief description from a company mouthpiece.

But like any well-intentioned and generally logical idea, it can be carried to extremes and lose any utility it might have possessed.

I have seen a lot of (what I take as) rather mild and well-reasoned criticisms of the new additions in this thread. (I'm not afraid to say I think I just wrote one!) Granted, some folks have been much more definitive in "drawing a line in the sand," but for the most part the reactions have struck me as provisionally based on a perspective of limited knowledge.

Now, what if we all took the dictum to hold off judgment until we've seen it for ourselves, or until the final product is unveiled, to be inviolable wisdom as opposed to a generally reasonable guideline? This thread would read somewhat like this:

Not a very interesting read!

I guess what I'm saying is...don't take "being reasonable" so seriously that you end up embracing an unreasonable position. It's unreasonable to expect people not to form opinions on things they don't have all the information on, or even things they haven't experienced.

It is reasonable to ask people to maintain some degree of tentative agnosticism on the topic at hand, and to take opinions from people with more first hand knowledge more seriously...but lately I get the feeling that the "stop jumping to conclusions!" card is being brandished somewhat in bad faith, essentially as a way of trying to mock anybody for ever expressing an opinion on anything they haven't seen in person. That's not what this place should be.

Opinions are the lifeblood of a discussion board like this. Those who express them should be encouraged to channel them with good humor and humility, but they should never be told in essence "You haven't earned the right to an opinion on this yet."

Basically...if we could stop being so hard on each other, I think everybody would have a lot more fun — even when they disagree!

Can I get an amen? :D

I know some others have said this, but the first thing I thought when I saw it was that the new placement of the old tombstones means that all the guests are walking over where the bodies would be underneath them. I know no one is actually buried there, but it's still creepy to me. Especially considering the fact that those tombstones refer to some well-loved people who have actually passed on. It just seems a little disrespectful to have placed them where and how they have been placed.

- Pirate Jeff -

Cosmic Commando

I don't understand why people are all bent out of shape about the small spaces in front of some of the tombstones. People DO bury urns, not just full-sized coffins. Not to be morbid or anything, but we are talking about HM.

SilentWindODoom

Ahh, I've been looking at this thread from afar for a while now, not getting a chance to actually sit down and read through it all and formulate a post. I still haven't gotten a chance to read through it all, as I've approached it through two different threads and periods of time in said threads that I'd be completely puzzled what happened where, so I'll just get to saying my peace.

I LOVE the Haunted Mansion. When we went in 1993, I freaked out outside the queue by the carriage when my dad tried to take me on and refused to go any further (I was in Kindergarten and Toad and 20K were enough to freak me out big time). I went on in 1998, and enjoyed it, but was still a bit young to really take everything in and remember it. Before going in 2003 I came across DoomBuggies.com, and reading about it more and more I began to fall in love with it, and I bought Surrel's well-known book on that visit. I rode it 5 times or so during our stay. It is now my favorite ride, and I have a strong affection for it.

To also give you a little look at how I view the subject, when I heard of a crypt-themed gift shop at the end of the ride I freaked. To give a brief overview of my arguement, I feel that as the Mansion is supposed to be us visiting a haunted mansion, I considered the grounds a part of the actual ride experience, so everything beyond the gates are show. The Mansion grounds are almost a part of the ride itself.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Lets take a look at the different elements:

The idea of a new queue: GOOD - I have no problem with making additions to the queue, as long as they're handled well. I never thought there was anything wrong with the original setup or even the awning (although I think the green awning was less visually intrusive). However, as long as the previous graves were taken care of, I had no problem with making a change, especially if it would help out with the wheelchair issue and allow those with disabilities to enjoy the show like everyone else. Speaking of which, did anything ever come of the rumored ability to remove and reintroduce a car without stopping the ride? I was very excited about the whole thing up until seeing the video of everything.

The new busts: SO-SO - To be honest, I have no problem with the busts whispering to children so they can figure out the murder mystery. If anything, hearing a quiet disembodied voice is a bit disquieting, and the main bonus is that it's unobtrusive and cannot be heard by the average guest. My problem lies with the actual look. As mentioned before the plaques look way too new, although this may be changed later with some character being added or simply the natural progress. How long does it take for patina to show, anyone know? Yes, I know that the original plaque was new looking, but while many like to think back to Walt's sense of show, I fell that the company's sense of show has improved in some ways over time. Perhaps it's just a matter of the use of theming to compensate for the lack of his mind. Perhaps it's the shift in perception to the more realistic in today's culture.

Nevertheless, I can forgive that, but the busts themselves are a bit much. I'm sorry, but Uncle Jacob looks like Colonel Mustard. They look like they could come from a Clue box. Some of them, like Aunt Florence aren't so bad, and I wouldn't mind the hunter if it weren't for the Snake. Uncle Jacob and his pile of money are just way too cartoonish to be taken seriously. The same goes for the weapons on their plaques, but I suspect that may have something to do with the mystery. And for anyone who will say that the cartoonish qualities are taken from Marc Davis's artwork, while I can see that with the twins, Aunt Florence, and the hunter (the pictures/video I'm looking at currently don't show his name), Uncle Jacob and Cousin Maude push the limit, especially for something seen this early (the Hitchhiking Ghosts barely look human but they're at the point in the ride where all Hell has broken loose).

I also consider it a lost opportunity to not make these five busts the singing busts (we could easily have given them a murder-mystery backstory given that the backstory I always believed in has been destroyed by the addition of Constance). I can't really knock them for getting my hopes up after hearing a false rumor, though.

The relocation of the Marc Davis and X Atencio graves: BAD - When we first heard about this project, and people were freaking out about it, didn't Lee, or Raven, or one of those big guys reassure us that it would be great and tell us something along the lines of "Didn't you ever notice that there's something not right about the current graves, that they don't have enough space for someone to actually be buried there." Was that more of a supposition than a hint for us? Jeez, I don't care if they're on an urn, there's graves in a planter. Even if there's an urn, isn't said urn buried in front of the gravestone rather than over it?

The Composer's Crypt: SO-SO - First off, the earlier mention of the band coming from all different times and places is a very valid point. However, I don't believe this "composer" to be any member of the band. In fact, looking at the instruments, they are not the instruments just of the band, but also of the Seance Room. They're every instrument featured in the Mansion. This unknown composer is an entity not seen inside as far as we know, perhaps directing or uniting the rest of the musicians in death. Perhaps it's an homage to the person who was in charge of physically creating the music (rather than creating the tune as X did). Does anyone know who performed/created/implemented the music in the ride?

I also like the idea of the decomposed instruments, I just think they got out of hand creating them. To be honest, I'm not sure if they implemented it as it can be heard to hear on video, but it would be awesome if the regular instruments played regularly, and the decomposed versions were played using the ways they made them sound discordant in the graveyard (playing backwards, etc).

The playing itself doesn't bother me too much either, as long as it isn't so loud that it dominates everything. In fact, I hope the noise doesn't even spill out into the line before it reaches the expansion.

Really, I have little complaint with this beside the fact that it really needs more aging, althought that might come with time as with the other metals. In all, I have little problem with this addition, and may come to love it if I see it in person.

The Ravenscroft Organ concept: GOOD - OHMYGOODNESSTHISISFRIGGINAWESOME!!! The organ is a wonderful addition. My concerns with the music are the same as the other instruments, but I can't really see anything wrong with it. With this music and the whispering, they're more like faint hints of ethereal activity than an actual ghost loudly and obviously talking to you. Also, they use of Grim Grinning Ghosts, and the fact that no mater when you touch an instrument, it will start wherever in the song it is set rather than starting from the start alone are great, and make certain the music isn't a discordant din. If they played random notes, or a new tune, it would feel out of place, but this feels at home. As for the puffs of smoke, they can either be ethereal, or an actually physical event, perhaps a trap set into the crypt or just a coincidental sudden escape of gas. As I type this, though, it makes me wonder the quality of air that would escape suddenly from a crypt.

:hurl:

The skulls on the organ: BAD - It's sad, but this may be my biggest complaint with the entire addition, or at least one of them. I actually disagree with HBG2's concern with them even being there to begin with. I think of it as a touch of the macabre, like he spoke about. An organist dies, and they depicted ghostly skulls flying from his organ rather than air. I think that while he's thinking of this chronologically in the real-world, I'm thinking of this chronologically in the story. It wouldn't make sense for them to depict in his crypt the ghosts that flew out of his organ as he played them in death. He hadn't done it yet. It's more this way: They depicted it because it looked cool, and in the afterlife, it actually happened. We see this fantastical depiction of an organ playing ghosts, and then we actually get to see it happen later. I think it's a beautiful setup when you think of it this way. I think you're looking at knowing Darth Vader is Luke's son as spoiling that surprise rather than thinking that the huge surprise is now that the nice old guy from the first three is evil and the good guys lose, and the Vader scene is still as powerful, now with a little additional emotion as the shock is replaced with thinking about Luke's surprise and pain at the revelation. I'm getting off-track though.

Here's my problem, and it's a nit-picky one, but it's one that really bothers me. What's with the glow-in-the-dark material they use below the skulls. I think it looks absolutely terrible. They've definitely added some character paint from when I first saw it, where it really looked like the stuff they make LEGO ghosts from, that stuff that takes in light and then glows when it gets dark. I'm glad they added character, but it still looks rediculous. Seriously, with the rest of the queue being done in stone and metals, what is this material supposed to be? It's too deep green to be patina. It's too flat-looking and dark to be jade. It can't be stone because it's friggin' green. If anything, this should have been patina, or copper and allowed to age if they wanted a green color.

I know this sounds petty, but I think it's a really big flaw. Imagine if the flagpole at Pirates was bright yellow, or the rope that runs along the Jungle Cruise boat was pink. It's a strange choice that makes everything look really weird.

Graves on the hill: GOOD - Looks beautiful, and I like the new graves, although they don't match the look of the old ones well. It's sad, but the old ones actually look low-quality compared to these new ones, but it gives them a realistic quality, rather than the over-processed look of the new ones, akin to the aging applied to the busts. The new ones stick out a lot.

Master Gracey's grave: GOOD - The master of the house in the minds of many fans has been given a place of honor, and it's beautiful. It suffers a bit from being a bit short, making Master Gracey look a bit like a midget, but at least he got more room than Davis and X.

Many have expressed regret at the graves being put in harm's way, and it's definitely a concern. I'm sure most out there know what happened to the last bat stanchion in the indoor queue. Even if it's not outright vandelized, regular wear and tear may claim it after 10 years or so.

I think that rather than letting a tradition of gum-sticking and marking starts, we start our own tradition. Perhaps we can begin leaving a flower on Master Gracey's grave. It would be nice if this tradition could spread and become a part of the Mansion lore, as fans come from all over and leave a flower before the grave marker, lying among those that other fans left.

---

Wow. This is getting out of hand, and I'm getting tired. Lemme get some sleep and leave at least this much out for us all to discuss.

gerryu21220

Many have expressed regret at the graves being put in harm's way, and it's definitely a concern. I'm sure most out there know what happened to the last bat stanchion in the indoor queue. Even if it's not outright vandelized, regular wear and tear may claim it after 10 years or so.

Never fear! These are new copies of the original headstones. They can easily be duplicated and replaced should the need ever arise.

SilentWindODoom

And now to continue:

The Captain's Crypt: BAD - First let me say that this crypt is beautiful. I was at first unhappy with the look of the statue laying inside, although the fact that it wasn't a ghost (It originally had the same glow-in-the-dark material quality the organ did) made me relieved. However, seeing the epitaph describing that he died in the tub makes it fit perfectly. I wonder if these creatures on the corner are what people have been referring to when they refer to sea serpents. I don't know what else people could mean. However, these just look like twisted depictions of fish akin to the old world depictions of dolphins like the ones on the Dolphin Resort. They're just fish.

And the aging is just perfect. This is the best aged addition. The patina and the stone look amazing and like they're actually old as they should. I wish this same amount of aging had been applied everywhere else. It's even better looking and fitting, I think, than Leota's tombstone. I like the water spouts as they add a bit of playfulness, some respite from the heat, and since the man is supposedly pickled in brine within the crypt, it makes sense. This isn't water. This is the brine leaking out.

However, all the perfectly executed details of this are ruined by the presence of the actual ghost of the captain. There's already been discussion enough about the progression of the mansion, the perfect balance of Claude Coates's open to Marc Davis's finale, and the reasons for not jumping the gun too quickly on the happy haunts, so I don't feel the need to rehash it. I also wouldn't mind the singing if it's not too loud and liken it to the whispering and the instruments, a faint ethereal whisper of activity, a presence which may or may not be there but hasn't broken through. However, the physical responses to the Captain's presence, including the spitting of water when he sneezes are over the line. There's a being in that crypt and there's no doubt about it. A ghost with a corporeal form sits in that crypt. Also, the bubbles just seem a bit cheap and a bit too playful. I'll have to see it in full behavoir in the flesh, though.

The books: GOOD - The more closely I look at this, the more I like it. Especially since more pictures have made it look more like stone, while it looked a bit plastic the first time I saw it. Has anyone gotten a chance to touch them and see how they feel. As long as they feel like stone rather than plastic, I love the addition.

The poetess's book: BAD - It's just really, really in your face. A lot of the other additions are fairly conservative and understated. I could even take the book on its own, but the voice is too much. In fact, if the book itself were there and still had the interactivity that it apparently has, it would be nice. It would be a surprise to see the poem show up on the book without and ending, and when you said the last word it was looking for, it would suddenly finish. Imagine the shock and entertainment. The banner above the book is more than enough clue.

Also, I wish there were a way to avoid the bright whiteness the projection give the book.

Oh, and Prudence Pock is not a relative of the Hitchhiking Ghost. While one of the Hitchhiking Ghosts is named Phineas, Phineas Pock is actually one of the singing busts. I did not realize until looking at some information recently that, unlike a lot of the names and lore, the Busts do have established names that are written on the filmstrip. Ned Nub is also one of them, and has a new grave of his own. Does anyone know if Uncle Theodore, Rollo Rumpkin, and Cousin Al got ones too? And is there a seperate grave that just says "Phineas" as Ezra and Gus's graves don't have their last names.

New homage crypt: GOOD - Excellent. It's been a long time coming. What more can I say, besides the fact that I never realized until now that Rolly was short for Roland?

---

So that's about it. The portholes don't seem to be functioning yet, so I can't say much about it. I hope it gives a view in where you can see the body of the captain in the greenish liquid. Anyone know what the story is with these?

Also, I've seen dozens of posts asking if the show building being visible and not one answer. Anyone know whether it is or not?

While on the subject of unanswered questions, what is that structure in the woods on the hill near the mansion? I've always wondered.

But enough about that. Overall, I do like the expansion, but there are some huge missteps, the primary ones being the organ's odd material, the tiny burial plots, and the presence of the ghosts of the captain and poetess. So, I have mixed feelings. Hopefully my visit in August or some further work and refining will allay my concerns.

One last thought. Anyone else think it odd that in the official video Eric calls the water the "River of Americas" rather than Rivers of America? Also, the Uncle Myall grave is shown when they're talking about the old graves, but I'm pretty sure that's a new one.

SilentWindODoom

Ah, you're right. Thank's for being kind to me, by the way, because looking at the pictures it looks like it was right in plain view. LOL

It didn't sound familiar when I looked at it, so I checked the DoomBuggies.com listing of the WDW stones and it wasn't there.

And on what you said earlier, are these really replica tombstones? They really look like the originals.

gerryu21220

And on what you said earlier, are these really replica tombstones? They really look like the originals.

Well, the Gracey, Davis, and Atencio stones are copies. The originals were fiberglass, and these new ones are stone. Well, reportedly stone, but more likely a moldable, stone-like product. Perhaps concrete with some kind of stone finish veneer. (I forget now which thread on which board mentioned that these new markers were now stone copies, but it was very vague on the details about the materials and methods used.)

tirian

Also, I've seen dozens of posts asking if the show building being visible and not one answer. Anyone know whether it is or not?

Yes, it still is, but shrubbery should be covering it "soon"—in Disney speak, that can be a week or a year.

While on the subject of unanswered questions, what is that structure in the woods on the hill near the mansion? I've always wondered.
:confused: What structure?

One last thought. Anyone else think it odd that in the official video Eric calls the water the "River of Americas" rather than Rivers of America? Also, the Uncle Myall grave is shown when they're talking about the old graves, but I'm pretty sure that's a new one.
It was probably just a slip of the tongue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom