PHOTOS - Inside the interactive indoor queue set to open in July at Dumbo

rodserling27

Great, so now parents can sit around and wait for their number to be called like it's the freakin' Olive Garden or something...sheesh. That's what they came up with? A pre-school playground under a tent? Wasn't the reason Walt wanted to build Disneyland because he wanted parents and kids to play TOGETHER? Dumbo's queue just became the playground at "McDonald's."

NewfieFan

Great, so now parents can sit around and wait for their number to be called like it's the freakin' Olive Garden or something...sheesh. That's what they came up with? A pre-school playground under a tent? Wasn't the reason Walt wanted to build Disneyland because he wanted parents and kids to play TOGETHER? Dumbo's queue just became the playground at "McDonald's."

So, tell me your idea for a queue (which is for a ride that is basically geared towards young children) that would entertain all ages?

Everybody loves to quote Walt around here! Walt created a place as a whole that a family could enjoy. Not every ride he created was necessarily geared for everyone from birth to 104! I'm sure Dumbo isn't the most popular ride amoung the teens and not many toddlers sit through Hall of Presidents. But DL and the MK as a whole can be enjoyed as a family with a lot of rides (but not all) pleasing most age groups.

Edit to add - I don't know what McDonald's you have in your neighbourhood... but our play places sure don't look like that!?!

alissafalco

Thanks for posting the video, I think its realy nice. Although they didn't show too many people or kids around. I have a feeling there will definitely be a lot more kids running around and people crammed in there.We'll just have to see.

Animaniac93-98

Thanks for posting the video, I think its realy nice. Although they didn't show too many people or kids around. I have a feeling there will definitely be a lot more kids running around and people crammed in there.We'll just have to see.

I assume in real life more than 10 people will be waiting for Dumbo. :lol:

On less busy (or cold/rainy) days I wonder if Disney will open up the queue for everyone and not just Dumbo riders?

ReganA

I think it's great concept - better than standing in a line any day - especially for little ones and thats the whole idea. I love the phrase "give families a chance to rebalance their energy". Its so true - adults can sit and recharge their batteries while the kids burn some energy. Like!

rodserling27

So, tell me your idea for a queue (which is for a ride that is basically geared towards young children) that would entertain all ages?

Everybody loves to quote Walt around here! Walt created a place as a whole that a family could enjoy. Not every ride he created was necessarily geared for everyone from birth to 104! I'm sure Dumbo isn't the most popular ride amoung the teens and not many toddlers sit through Hall of Presidents. But DL and the MK as a whole can be enjoyed as a family with a lot of rides (but not all) pleasing most age groups.

Edit to add - I don't know what McDonald's you have in your neighbourhood... but our play places sure don't look like that!?!
Sure, my idea of a queue that entertains ALL ages...and isn't blatantly geared towards little ones. Haunted Mansion ain't half bad in terms of entertaining everyone. Winnie the Pooh is clearly aimed at kids primarily, but manages to keep adults entertained too. I've always enjoyed the new queue to Space Mountain...little kids can have fun with it, and so can adults! However, this Dumbo queue is almost EXCLUSIVELY for kids.
I quote Walt because I don't like the idea of kids running amok while Parents sit in line, or, worse yet, ignore the kids and let them run wild. Which is exactly what I foresee happening. I don't think EVERY single thing at WDW should cater to the entire family; That would certainly be boring (and probably be called "Dutch Wonderland"...but it just bugs me the way this queue works. I bring up McDonald's because the play area in McD's is explicitly for kids, the same way the Dumbo queue is. There are many, many things in WDW that are aimed at kids but adults have fun doing too (90% of MK probably), but this thing just leaves adults and teens out completely.

ReganA

I've always enjoyed the new queue to Space Mountain...little kids can have fun with it, and so can adults! However, this Dumbo queue is almost EXCLUSIVELY for kids.

I think Space Mountain still has a height limit - so unfortunately not everything is one size fits all. I'll vote to let the little ones have the flying elephants.

Tom

Beta Return

Finally!

Thanks for the video... Well my 2 and 4 year old will love this!

Yes, they will! :sohappy:

Video certainly makes it look a bit better than the pictures. See, he is flying around up there!

I guess they really meant it on the DP Blog.

Wow, terrible. Oh well, Atleast Dumbo will look nice outside at night.

Excellent contribution to the thread!

Having now seen the video, I believe the Dumbo queue is likely to be amongst my kids' favorite attractions in all of MK. Climbing nets, trampolines, slides, little obstacle course things, a talking pager, and an elephant flying around will all be hits.

I too believe that this will actually encourage kids to want to experience this attraction more than they already do. They'll be sad when it's time to go ride. But at the same time, they will have no idea that 45 minutes just passed....and mom and dad have had a nice pseudo nap!

Yep I think it will be a massive hit with the kids. It is basically now like getting two attractions for the price of one. They get to play in a cool playground, and then ride Dumbo afterwards. It is infinitely better than how it was before. I think more of us need to remember that Dumbo is primarily for kids - and what is being delivered is very much targeted to that.

Good point. This queue area can be likened to the HISTK Playground at DHS. it's an attraction all by itself.

This will certainly be a hit with my two kids! They're getting a little older (9 & 6) but they will love the climbing structure. I can see my kids asking to go on Dumbo multiple times just to get in the queue!

It's not a queue that entertains all ages... however it has seating and AC, which I consider entertainment after dragging kids around in the heat!

Amen.

Exactly what I've been thinking! I've never seen a McDonald's or mall play area that looks like that.

Ditto (of course I now know that you and I live in the same neighborhood). But the people who have McDonalds and Mall Playgrounds that look like this must actually be in the "top 1%" :lol:

Sure, my idea of a queue that entertains ALL ages...and isn't blatantly geared towards little ones. Haunted Mansion ain't half bad in terms of entertaining everyone. Winnie the Pooh is clearly aimed at kids primarily, but manages to keep adults entertained too. I've always enjoyed the new queue to Space Mountain...little kids can have fun with it, and so can adults! However, this Dumbo queue is almost EXCLUSIVELY for kids.
I quote Walt because I don't like the idea of kids running amok while Parents sit in line, or, worse yet, ignore the kids and let them run wild. Which is exactly what I foresee happening. I don't think EVERY single thing at WDW should cater to the entire family; That would certainly be boring (and probably be called "Dutch Wonderland"...but it just bugs me the way this queue works. I bring up McDonald's because the play area in McD's is explicitly for kids, the same way the Dumbo queue is. There are many, many things in WDW that are aimed at kids but adults have fun doing too (90% of MK probably), but this thing just leaves adults and teens out completely.

But this ride and queue ARE BOTH FOR KIDS! And guess what? That's OK. It really is OK.

However, if you paid any attention to the video, you would have noticed that there were adults utilizing the amenities as well. They've sized them and supported them so that mom and dad CAN play with the kids if they want to. But they can also sit on benches that look into the play area, so they can always keep track of their kids.

This isn't going to create any more chaos than already exists. If I had children, and I had to take them on Dumbo, I'd much rather enjoy a break on a bench while they go burn off steam....than stand in a 95-degree queue while someone else's misbehaved kid is kicking me or screaming about something stupid right behind me.

Does this mimic the McDonalds indoor playground in concept? Yes, but not in quality by any means.

Kids are going to love this. Parents are going to love this. And those of you who think it's the beginning of the apocalypse.....stay away from it.

ght

I think Space Mountain still has a height limit - so unfortunately not everything is one size fits all. I'll vote to let the little ones have the flying elephants.

This is what I think of every time I hear this argument. Clearly not everything in the parks can be enjoyed by the entire family at the same time but I doubt anyone will be asking to get rid of Space Mountain, Splash, etc.

aladdin2007

Anyone want to guess how long it will be before that mini dumbo near the ceiling of the tent stops rotating and then not get fixed? DiscoDumbo down the road. :lookaroun

preludevtec01

Awww man it's nothing like I was expecting. "Interactive Que" I was hopping for some LCD and a bunch of Wii's set-up!

Completely Joking. :dazzle:

It looks fantastic to me! Disney fans will truly complain about anything.

TalkingHead

That video is embarrassing.

If that's the best WDI can do, they might as well be put out to pasture.

Can you imagine WDW touting an indoor playground like this in the days of Marc Davis or John Hench?

Not to mention, it's going to be incredibly crowded in there. Is this what WDW has come to -- build a tent and let a bunch of kids run wild? Sounds like a nightmare.

Bolt

Complain all you want but I rather sit in a shaded, air conditioned room instead of STANDING in 100 degree OUTSIDE.

Enchantâmes

I love how she tries to say that sitting on a bench watching kids play in a playground is fun and exciting.. :rolleyes:
I would rather stand in a queue than sit awkwardly in that room for 30 minutes

TiggersPooh

When I saw the images at first glance it looked neat..Then I saw that it had a slide and the frame is netted for people to go up a second floor..It to me looks like one of those Foam Ball Factory attractions..Sans the Foam Balls..
KidWorksPlayzone.jpg

I used to work at that Foam Factory! Geauga Lake! :(

Anyways I think it looks great!

rodserling27

For those accusing me and others of not watching the video, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say the playground is to be used by kids and adults. Does this look like it would accommodate both adults and kids?

Screen_Shot_2012_06_05_at_9_25_57_PM.png

How about this firetruck?
Screen_Shot_2012_06_05_at_9_26_15_PM.png

This:
dum228943SMALL.jpg

just doesn't quite look or feel like this:
Screen_Shot_2012_06_05_at_9_36_52_PM.png

I'm actually not upset at all that the long 98+ degree outdoor line is gone. I'm more upset that this is not quite what we were promised.

Disney says "All-new interactive queue will make you feel like you're in the circus."

What we get is:
"Kiddie playground with a place to sit for the adults, and maybe go down a slide."

Or as the video put it: "The kids are the circus performers." "Parents can sit and...enjoy the air conditioned room."

:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom