PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Kman101

Aulani looks nice but I'm not that impressed by the grounds. The interior and exterior designs look good. Like a Hawaiian version of Animal Kingdom Lodge.

kkocka

I generally drink beer at most bars but couldn't help ordering one of the "fun" drinks so I could get the special Tiki glasses/mugs. I have only 3 in my collection so far...a bit pricey once you pay the upcharge for the glass.

You know you can just order the mugs standalone, right? :D Also the clear mug they use for the mai tai is a very generic mug created by Lancaster Colony. You can find them just about anywhere from the Polynesian Resort to your local Red Robin. Sam's will use a few mugs either as backups or as the sole mug that are nothing special, nothing original to the bar. :|

dreamfinder

You know you can just order the mugs standalone, right? :D Also the clear mug they use for the mai tai is a very generic mug created by Lancaster Colony. You can find them just about anywhere from the Polynesian Resort to your local Red Robin. Sam's will use a few mugs either as backups or as the sole mug that are nothing special, nothing original to the bar. :|

Some of them are generic mugs that you can get elsewhere. Others are Sam's customs like the Rum Barrel.

kkocka

Some of them are generic mugs that you can get elsewhere. Others are Sam's customs like the Rum Barrel.

Yes. It looks like they recently ran out of their Krakatoa Punch mug and have resorted back to Tiki Farm's Kalifornia Ku. Point being that you have to be mindful if your intend is to get the official mug for the drink.

Stevek

Yep, but some of the drinks taste pretty good.

michmousefan

I generally drink beer at most bars but couldn't help ordering one of the "fun" drinks so I could get the special Tiki glasses/mugs. I have only 3 in my collection so far...a bit pricey once you pay the upcharge for the glass. Yes, it's a big dark in there and it's not very big inside but it's a lot of fun. It's also great to sit outside when the 2 Hawaiian singers are outside playing.
For me, one of the best things about it *is* how small it is inside. Nice and intimate. I wish I had confidence that TDO will deliver a similar experience at the Poly, should be about the size of Crew's Cup, but... yeah.

eastvillage

Aulani looks nice but I'm not that impressed by the grounds. The interior and exterior designs look good. Like a Hawaiian version of Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I thought the same exact thing when I looked at those photos. Did the same team/person design both places?

prberk

Poly indoor water feature 2008 from first floor rear.JPG

Thought you all might appreciate a view of the Poly lobby from 2008. This is on the first floor, facing diagonally across from the back left staircase area. The Kona Café is across the way on the second floor, above the gift shop you see here behind the water feature. Below is the Kona, on the second floor, with the tops of the palms in the water feature showing.
Poly Kona Cafe 2008 across water feature.JPG

And here is the beautiful view of the water feature, looking down from the ledge in front of the Kona Café on the second floor:

Poly indoor water feature 2008 from second floor.JPG

That was always so awe-inspiring. I hope someone will look at these photos and think twice. But at least I can share them with you.

Here are some more, also, of nearby parts of the Poly, which also help put it into perspective:
Poly 2nd floor Kona Cafe & Island 2008 with greenery behind.JPG

Kona Island coffee bar, on second floor, next to monorail entrance to hotel. Of course lush greenery separating monorail station from the Great Ceremonial House main building here.
Poly lush with monorail 2008.JPG

Monorail station from the outside. Lush greenery.
Poly outside back of GCH 2008.JPG

View from Great Ceremonial House looking out back toward pool and Seven Seas Lagoon. No castles or "contemporary" things... Just tropical paradise. (A glimpse of Grand Floridian, but remember that was built later by Eisner.)
Poly steps 2008 facing water feature 2.JPG

Back right staircase leading down. Water feature in view.
Poly steps 2008 facing water feature.JPG

Same staircase. Some might think it a little "Mike Brady" in style, but I think it clearly fits. Water feature again in view.
Poly second floor Kona Island 2008.JPG

Final view of the Kona Island and the monorail station. Bananas for sale I think even add to the ambiance.

My main point here is how genuinely the lush greenery throughout, including the water feature, really make this resort the favorite that it is. Let's hope they will reconsider.

morningstar

I just don't understand the need to remove the water feature. It's been there for about 40 years, why remove it now? I'm going to guess it's because $$$.

I think it's space. They want room for more people / shops / amenities, but are not willing to take the step of rebuilding the entire building bigger. So they remove the large and non-"functional" feature.

morningstar

Hopefully fan sites like this do have an impact and Disney will reconsider. To really drive the point home, how many of you whose favorite was the Polynesian would now prefer to stay at a different resort? It's too expensive for me in the first place, but if money was no object, the Polynesian was my clear first choice. Now I think it would be the Grand Floridian or Port Orleans Riverside.

Spike-in-Berlin

Hopefully fan sites like this do have an impact and Disney will reconsider. To really drive the point home, how many of you whose favorite was the Polynesian would now prefer to stay at a different resort? It's too expensive for me in the first place, but if money was no object, the Polynesian was my clear first choice. Now I think it would be the Grand Floridian or Port Orleans Riverside.

At the moment we couldn't afford any stay at the Poly of more than one night but at least I hoped, that one day I would be able to pay even for a longer stay than our 5 days in 2010. But with the GCH gutted and the rainforest and waterfalls (there were FOUR, one on each side) removed I wouldn't even pay the money if I would be a millionaire. We just checked the prices of the WL for August/September, they are at a record low and the WL will become our new "WDW home". We loved our stay there in 2007 (our first stay on property) and with the Polynesian Resort gone it will be without cocompetitors, we are not interested in the new "Polynesian Village Resort" with it's Honolulu Airport Hotel lobby (don't know what they plan to do to the Nanea Pool but I am absolutely sure now, that it is NOT a good change).

morningstar

Demolishing GCH to give them the space they really need was the way to go but $$$.

See the slow transformation of the north side of the Contemporary Concourse from common areas to a merch shop to see what will end up happening

Yes! The Contemporary Concourse has definitely been diminished over time. Unlike the Polynesian water feature, there was not really anything significant there, but there was space. Not only is a shop there probably unnecessary, but at least they should capitalize on the expansiveness of the Concourse by making it an "open air" shop instead of high shelves and a roof.

In their desire to expand, the WDW developers are looking at "unutilized" spaces as the solution to their problem. What they aren't seeing is that empty space has value. Hence Aladdin's carpets and the Contemporary Concourse. What's next, the floor space of the Grand Floridian lobby getting roped off into a queue for a counter service restaurant and shelving for vinylmation? The theme of the Grand Floridian is luxury, folks, and efficient utilization of space is not one of the hallmarks of luxury.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom