PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Padraig

I've never really bothered exploring hotels that I'm not staying in. No real interest. So my wife was kinda surprised when I said we'd get off the monorail and have a look around on our last visit (2012). It was solely the fountain that drew me in, I just wanted to check it out. I'm really glad I did. It breathes life into what are usually sterile and formal areas. Disney made money out of it too, we went to either Kona or Ohana for lunch (not sure which is which). Can't see myself ever returning now that it's gone.

GrammieBee

Well, we used to visit the Poly and spend some money at least once every trip to WDW. Can't say this will still be true on our next trip. The old lobby was georgeous, tropical, soothing, relaxing, and charming all rolled into one. You walked into the lobby and there was a tropical paradise welcoming you. The new lobby --- eh.

Yes, tropical foliage and water features are difficult and expensive to maintain. This feature was also over forty years old and, no doubt, had its problems or was causing problems. However, it could and should have been replaced with something just as lush and tropical even if on a somewhat smaller scale. Please don't insult our intelligence by claiming it was too expensive or it couldn't be figured out how to incorporate it into the new lobby. The water feature was the heart and soul of the Polynesian lobby. Nothing against Trader Sam's, but is it now supposed to be the lobby's main attraction?

As it was meant to,the lobby and the whole resort represented the the idealized tiki tropical feeling.. So what? Something iconic does not have to be changed just for the sake of change.

On web sites the vast majority of the responses about the removal of the waterfalls is a feeling of great sadness and loss.

The Mouse

the amount of whining in this thread is insane. The Poly will still be great after the refurb is done. Things change as time goes on, that is the way of life. Embrace what is new and remember nostalgically what used to be.

prberk

the amount of whining in this thread is insane. The Poly will still be great after the refurb is done. Things change as time goes on, that is the way of life. Embrace what is new and remember nostalgically what used to be.

Are you serious?

Change for improvement is good. Change toward mediocrity is bad. And worth discussion. Otherwise why are you even bothering to be on a discussion forum? Your post is insane. Discussions happen as the boards move on. That is the way of life on a discussion board. Embrace what you like on the forum, and nostalgically think of what you think should have been discussed.

As for the thread itself: The information on this thread is worth 400 paid focus groups, and Disney should understand that. Here are Disney fans who love Walt Disney World telling the world (and by extension, the company) what they think; and when something hits a crescendo like this, the information contained herein is more valuable than any paid focus group. It should tell them something.

The people on this thread have told you, like Walt did in explaining why certain movies take hold and others do not, what hits their heartstrings. (And thus translate into later visits.) They have also made reasoned arguments (as the architect from Berlin did) as to why this was true tiki design and was being replaced by a glorified Embassy Suites lobby.

GrammieBee

Since when is it whining to say that you feel great sadness and a sense of loss when something you loved is taken away?

Certainly, change is inevitable. The one certainy in life is that things change. This does not mean that all change is for the better. No doubt about it, the new lobby will be very nice, but there is no way it conveys the same feeling of lush Polynesian tropics.

Spike-in-Berlin

How funny, that someone is complaining about "whining", when he himself is not only whining about commentaries that represent the vast majority of this Community, but outright rude to all of us.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Wrong again. You did not strike a nerve, you insulted 99% of the commentators in this thread. BIG difference and nothing to be proud of, at least for people with manners. And yes, you are alone.

Honestly, everyone here is going by a piece of concept art and pure speculation. Yes the water feature is going away. But no one has any idea of what is in store for the GCH (unless you want to post some blueprints). If you want to express your unhappiness with them removing it fine. But at least keep an open mind until you see what is built.

Everyone here is jumping the gun with their outrage over the removal and how horrible TDO is for doing this. Yes it could be because they wanted to cheap out, but it could be for all we know the water feature was contributing to mold that made cast members who worked in the building sick. (if that's the case would it really be worth it over someones health?) So unless anyone is part of this project here, we're all just speculating as to the backstory behind the work.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Amazing how Disney finds the $ to do things like this. But can never find the $ to maintain attractions properly.

Apples and Oranges, this is being done by DVC and has nothing to do with funds for theme park operations. Each division is their own entity with different budgets and operations within The Walt Disney Company.

aladdin2007

The kids club never had a Hawaiian theme.

It's amazing to me that people on this board will call Disney fans elsewhere mentally ill but then threads like this exist.

well peter pan theme then it had I meant, point is it had a theme. Now its going to a standard club Disney theme....And the plan was to do a new Hawaiian stitch/beach theme, but they cut it.

kkocka

Is there any way we could make a separate Trader Sam's discussion? I feel like it has been lost in the discussion about the fountain. I for one am super stoked to see Trader Sam's come to the Poly.

By all means start one (just let us know where, in this thread) and I'll be there to discuss in depth.

Tigger1988

well peter pan theme then it had I meant, point is it had a theme. Now its going to a standard club Disney theme....And the plan was to do a new Hawaiian stitch/beach theme, but they cut it.
It's going to be themed to Disney characters, just like it always was. Now it'll be themed to different Disney characters. And the target demo (those who can barely use the bathroom by themselves) will probably love it.

If the club was given a Stitch theme you all would still be complaining.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom