PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Spike-in-Berlin

@DisneyGentleman
The definition of "defurbishing" ist not entirely complete. An important part of the "defurbishing" is taking away elements and features (not adding or "plussing" as they did in the "old times", no I am not talking about Walt's era, I am talking about the 80ies and early 90ies) from SFX to waterfalls, to make the entire attraction/ride less expensive and more easy to maintain. The worst example being the defurbishing of the Poly.

Last edited:

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
What a shame. Walking into the lobby at the start of many Disney vacations; seeing, hearing, smelling the waterfall always took the stress of life away and made me feel like I was finally on vacation and could relax. I wonder how I'll feel when I walk through the doors on my next visit....

Bairstow

If the plans call for a large and majestic waterfall feature right outside the lobby that is viewable from the large and open space that will now be there, I think I could be okay with this. I wish there was more transparency with what the rest of the hotel might look like after this is all completed.

Same here.
I do agree that it's reasonable to optimistic that larger outdoor water features will be forthcoming. Disney is increasing the capacity of this resort to such an extent that it doesn't make good business sense to simultaneously remove some of the features that made it so impressive and attractive to guests willing to pay the higher rates.

If they don't add some really impressive outdoor features to compensate, and it does effect room occupancy, look for them to rectify the situation very quickly.

Bocabear

If the plans call for a large and majestic waterfall feature right outside the lobby that is viewable from the large and open space that will now be there, I think I could be okay with this. I wish there was more transparency with what the rest of the hotel might look like after this is all completed.
I don't believe there is any plan to add an additional giant water feature just outside the lobby...they wanted to open up the space so that you could look straight through...presumably to the water....which isn't really possible. I think the bottom line is, a big open lobby space is easier to maintain and they can floor over part of it on the second floor to expand the waiting area for O'hana...I do not believe they care if it is "iconic" or special... they just want to make it easy to maintain and simple... all function.

note2001

Perhaps we should all have been warned by the opening of the Aulani which doesn't feature any water features in the lobby. If Disney didn't even include them in their new flagship resort on Oahu, this was really kind of foreshadowing what could and would happen to the Poly (I wasn't there but you take a look at the lobby at Youtube, it's absolutely nothing special, the present Poly is so much better). We just didn't recognize it as a bad omen.

Aulani does have a couple of water features in the open lobby, they're just not dead center demanding attention like the poly's waterfalls. I recall from the initial sketches one was to be off to the side, another is near the check-in desk. It seems however that neither stands out enough to be filmed much by guests (or I'm searching using the wrong key words). The pictures and videos I've seen (Look up allears and DIS videos) show a small boxy pond-like one, and another featuring more natural rock work and a small stream of sorts. The former is just outside the lobby glass, but is considered to be part of the lobby. I'd have to be there in person to understand how that works.

Last edited:

asianway

Aulani does have a couple of water features in the open lobby, they're just not dead center demanding attention. I recall from the initial sketches one was to be off to the side, another is near the check-in desk. However, neither is predominate enough to be filmed much. The pictures and videos I've seen show a small boxy pond like one, and another featuring more natural rock work and a small stream of sorts. Google allears and DIS videos, and you'll see them.
There's a big difference at Aulani where you enter on the second floor and the building was designed to have a view of the Pacific Ocean.

To do the poly right GCH should have been torn down and rebuilt. Could've also made it a high rise DVC at the same time

note2001

There's a big difference at Aulani where you enter on the second floor and the building was designed to have a view of the Pacific Ocean.

To do the poly right GCH should have been torn down and rebuilt. Could've also made it a high rise DVC at the same time

I agree, the ultimate redesign of the GCH would be to rebuild. At minimum, I think it needs a taller roofline. But no high rises for the poly, please. The monster of a hotel they built in Hawaii is bad enough. I can only imagine what they'd do to the poly.

It would be nice if they could manage to keep just one part of the fountain cascades and garden and recreate it off to the side for sentimental reasons, but the lobby is just too small and it would be a whole new mess to deal with.

Last edited:

tikiman

I don't believe there is any plan to add an additional giant water feature just outside the lobby...they wanted to open up the space so that you could look straight through...presumably to the water....which isn't really possible. I think the bottom line is, a big open lobby space is easier to maintain and they can floor over part of it on the second floor to expand the waiting area for O'hana...I do not believe they care if it is "iconic" or special... they just want to make it easy to maintain and simple... all function.

I have never had any of my sources mention any large water feature outside either. I'm sure there are some things being planed I have not heard about but if anything they want to reduce the size of the volcano to some other rock formation. I can't imagine they want to make that smaller and then add something larger outside the GCH. I guess we will know next year.

tikiman

Why are they changing the volcano? Has a reason been given?

They want to reduce the size. They have other plans for around the pool area and they want the space to re-theme it. It does not go with the vision they have for the new pool area and I thought I remember them mentioning something about making the lagoon more visible from the patio of the GCH. I’m guessing that will be for those siting in the outside seating of Trader Sam’s

I guess the original design for the pool when they redesigned it in 2001 was to be something different but budget costs changed what Imagineers wanted to do and it became the volcano that it is now. They were never happy with the changes, so I hear.

Bairstow

They want to reduce the size. They have other plans for around the pool area and they want the space to re-theme it. It does not go with the vision they have for the new pool area and I thought I remember them mentioning something about making the lagoon more visible from the patio of the GCH. I’m guessing that will be for those siting in the outside seating of Trader Sam’s

I guess the original design for the pool when they redesigned it in 2001 was to be something different but budget costs changed what Imagineers wanted to do and it became the volcano that it is now. They were never happy with the changes, so I hear.

I was never really impressed by the volcano pool either.
It's cartoonishly tall and round, to the point that it looks like something from an unusually nice I-drive miniature golf course.

Communicore

I just realized that since Universal has a 50's-60's themed resort, I think Polynesian should remain 70's, as it's an authentic 70's. Restore it to the 70's style, leave the paneling and staircases alone, I mean we know the fountain is gone but at least make the interior authentic to the 70's as possible.

disney4life2008

Well, it IS brighter in the center and the lobby does look larger... Rather than the dark, cramped look of today. Not that I'm saying this is a good thing:

Disneys-Polynesian-Resort_Full_20988.jpg

LOL I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Oakland a few months ago. The lobby looked just like this - I mean to the exact design. The only difference is that the free breakfast is off to the right.

disney4life2008

It's actually Trader Sam's. Trader Joe's is a grocery chain.

As for the artwork, I come from a completely different angle, someone that has never visited the resort. Personally, I think it looks very nice and has a very polynesian feel. If what they've done at Aulani or Trader Sam's is any indication, I think people will be pleasantly surprised by the end product. As for the new Poly Trader Sam's, anyone else wanna bet it becomes the hangout for all the WDW fanbois/podcasters/bloggers? I can picture Louie holding court there on a regular basis...all comp'd by Disney of course.

I am not understanding. what is so good about trader sams? isnt it just another tiki bar?

Spike-in-Berlin

But no high rises for the poly, please. The monster of a hotel they built in Hawaii is bad enough. I can only imagine what they'd do to the poly.

Actually they planned the main building of the Poly as a high rise in 1970 or so. You find pictures of the highrise (which looked much better than the Aulani towers BTW) on Tikimans really excellent page which also features authentic Polynesian BGM.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom