PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not understanding. what is so good about trader sams? isnt it just another tiki bar?

No..

It's a heavily themed, decorated, and immersive tiki bar. Then think about the effects that are in the Tiki Room show.. and imagine the bar reacting to you sitting in the bar and what you are drinking. There are gag effects mixed around the place.. including even 'shrinking' you, etc.

It's bar + tiki room + disney special effects

71jason

And even then, it's not like legit tiki bars are a dime-a-dozen in Orlando. I can think of half a dozen called "tiki bar," but none that truly fit that name.

note2001

I agree, I liked the pictures I saw on tikimanpages.com, from the 70's the rock slide and pool looked better imo. Is that your page tikiman?

IMHO, as a kid, it was far more fun than the current slide too starting with ducking under the water to get through the waterfall to the stairs (that water hit hard!) But then, I was so small I couldn't see over the staircase railing, so everything was more fun.

My bet is Disney's going to try to convert the pool to one with an infinity edge. The volcano that's there now is just too rainforest cafe-ish to go nicely with it.

kap91

No..

It's a heavily themed, decorated, and immersive tiki bar. Then think about the effects that are in the Tiki Room show.. and imagine the bar reacting to you sitting in the bar and what you are drinking. There are gag effects mixed around the place.. including even 'shrinking' you, etc.

It's bar + tiki room + disney special effects

Exactly I don't even like bars but I was dragged into Trader Sam's at DL and didn't want to leave!

kkocka

The Tonga Room has a reputation of turning into a lame DJing club a times. They have a good drink selection but people are often advised to stick to the classics and avoid the newer cocktail selection. That is, if you're a tiki purist.

Edit: Watching the video of their "mai tai" is absolutely horrid! I guarantee you will not be drinking a digusting concoction anything like that at Sam's...it was embarrassingly wrong.

Last edited:

Admiral01

Premium Member
Aulani does have a couple of water features in the open lobby, they're just not dead center demanding attention like the poly's waterfalls. I recall from the initial sketches one was to be off to the side, another is near the check-in desk. It seems however that neither stands out enough to be filmed much by guests (or I'm searching using the wrong key words). The pictures and videos I've seen (Look up allears and DIS videos) show a small boxy pond-like one, and another featuring more natural rock work and a small stream of sorts. The former is just outside the lobby glass, but is considered to be part of the lobby. I'd have to be there in person to understand how that works.

I spent some time at Aulani in February and will post some lobby pictures in a bit.

Bottom line is the Poly and Aulani are two completely different resorts and totally different designs. Other than being tropical, they really don't share any design characteristics. Aulani was pretty, but no replacement for The Polynesian.

kkocka

Bottom line is the Poly and Aulani are two completely different resorts and totally different designs. Other than being tropical, they really don't share any design characteristics. Aulani was pretty, but no replacement for The Polynesian.

Right. Aulani was designed specifically to not reflect the kitschy and campy tiki craze that swept America back in the 40's-60's. Aulani reflects traditional Hawaiian culture, with respect to the people and heritage. People often think that tiki = Hawaiian, but should remember that its mostly the Caribbean, South Seas, etc etc. Tiki is an American creation. There are certainly similar characteristics between Aulani and the Poly, but are by no means supposed to be on equal ground.

Where is Trader Sam's going?

Last we heard it should find a home where the now-defunct Moana Mickey's Arcade is.

Admiral01

Premium Member
kkocka - exactly. Aulani is supposed to represent Hawaii, Hawaiian culture, and Hawaiian design. The Polynesian Village is totally different.

Turns out I didn't take as many pictures of the lobby as I thought I did. I did spend a good amount of time sitting in the open lobby, relaxing while starting off toward the Pacific Ocean. There was water flowing all around the lobby, though nothing close to the Polynesian lobby's water feature. THAT is a unique part of Disney that is soon lost.

Aulani lobby ceiling:
DSC01897.JPG

Grounds facing the Pacific Ocean
DSC01898.JPG

External lobby area and water:
DSC01899.JPG

Pool and lazy river, with the pool mountain:
DSC01912.JPG

Another view toward the Pacific, with the pool "mountain" in the middle:
DSC01922.JPG

Aulani was really nice, but so incredibly different than the feel and theme of the Polynesian. Again, they aren't stand-ins for each other. Aulani isn't the Hawaiian version of the Polynesian Village. If anything, Aulani felt more like the Disney version of the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Aulani wasn't tacky. It was as close of a genuine representation of Hawaiian culture as you can get in an Oahu resort.

For me, I prefer the Polynesian's south-seas, more tropical feel. At least, I did. For someone who only stopped at the Polynesian for dinner and drinks, I never usually ventured far from the Grand Ceremonial House. I probably won't waste time on the Polynesian next time I am at WDW.

Attachments

• DSC01914.JPG
    DSC01914.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 60

Communicore

Not really. Take your standard Tiki Bar and add Disney quality theming and some fun interactive elements.
It's a fun bar, although all I had was a Bud Light. Then again, it was just a spur of the moment thing, driving back from the IE I had a whim to check it out and there I was. Several people ordered the "effects" drinks and it was a production each time. It's just very dim but that is part of the theming.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I think that while they are destroying the most beautiful part of the GCH, they should rip out the volcano pool, fill in the Lagoon to make it a nice shiny new parking lot and take out the foliage- especially all that tall bamboo- because it could one day destroy sightlines of the parking lot in front of the MK.

Take out the castle too, it's an eyesore.

I'm really kinda sick over this whole thing and it's not even like I live and breathe the Polynesian, but it is absolutely depressing what they are planning to do to this exotic, high end (prices, anyhow) resort. More $$$, less quality. The Disney difference.

:oops:

Stevek

It's a fun bar, although all I had was a Bud Light. Then again, it was just a spur of the moment thing, driving back from the IE I had a whim to check it out and there I was. Several people ordered the "effects" drinks and it was a production each time. It's just very dim but that is part of the theming.
I generally drink beer at most bars but couldn't help ordering one of the "fun" drinks so I could get the special Tiki glasses/mugs. I have only 3 in my collection so far...a bit pricey once you pay the upcharge for the glass. Yes, it's a big dark in there and it's not very big inside but it's a lot of fun. It's also great to sit outside when the 2 Hawaiian singers are outside playing.

Cesar R M

I think that while they are destroying the most beautiful part of the GCH, they should rip out the volcano pool, fill in the Lagoon to make it a nice shiny new parking lot and take out the foliage- especially all that tall bamboo- because it could one day destroy sightlines of the parking lot in front of the MK.

Take out the castle too, it's an eyesore.

I'm really kinda sick over this whole thing and it's not even like I live and breathe the Polynesian, but it is absolutely depressing what they are planning to do to this exotic, high end (prices, anyhow) resort. More $$$, less quality. The Disney difference.

:oops:

there was the entrance like that.. all full of green to a tourist spot and resort area in my town.. it was razed to increase the size of the road.. the place now looks like your generic every day "road to place X with plants".

so know the feeling regarding the removal of green life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom