PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

prberk

Bigger space means more diffusion of the moisture and bigger air handlers. They are very different concepts to build even tho both are indoor water features.

Not really defending dis... Just saying the two are not really the same

Thanks. Still have to think that they can afford to fix it... and then continue to benefit from the beauty and desirability of the resort...

ptaylor

Premium Member
This is the letter that is being sent out to guests staying at the Poly over the next few months. It goes some way to show just how out of touch and delusional management are about the quality of the product.

Is anything 'World Class' at the Poly? I really don't think so. None of the restaurants are, the pools certainly are not, the rooms are not, and the service is not. Other than a lot of sentimental attachment to the resort, and perhaps its location near to Magic Kingdom, the resort wouldn't make the top 1000 list of hotels world-wide, never-mind being 'World Class' as the General Manager seems to think it is.

April 2014 Aloha!

We are thrilled you have selected the Walt Disney World Resort and Disney’s Polynesian Resort as your vacation destination!

Upon your arrival, you will notice that we are currently working on refurbishing areas of our Resort, including our lobby in the Great Ceremonial House. While we are creating this new magic, you may see or hear work in progress. To enhance your check-in experience, we encourage you to participate in Online Check-In by visiting mydisneyexperience.com and providing us with information that will allow us to prepare and expedite your arrival.

During your visit, Capt. Cook’s, our Quick-Service restaurant, will be temporarily relocated in the Great Ceremonial House with modified hours and menu offerings. We look forward to continuing to serve you savory flavors of the South Seas during your stay. In addition, a portion of the beach will be unavailable during your stay.

Rest assured, much of our wonderful white-sand beach will still be open and accessible, providing the South Seas ambience and views of the Magic Kingdom Park that makes Disney’s Polynesian Resort such an enchanting destination. Many of our world-class amenities, including our shops, pools, marina and wonderful dining experiences are also still available for you to enjoy.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment of all we have to offer. If you have any questions regarding your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation letter.

We look forward to your upcoming stay with us. Mahalo,

Norman A. Noble
General Manager
Disney’s Polynesian Resort

flynnibus

Premium Member
The little man interviewed a DVC VP and I guess Disney has finally 'acknowledged' the Poly DVC

He doesn't say a whole lot.. but the one thing that stood out to me were rumors before that maybe the Bungalows would not be open for rental to non-member or non-home-resort people.. but the comments here make it sound like they will be open just like all other DVCs.. (not that I ever expect anyone at the 7m mark to get one..)

psherman42

I went to the Polynesian today one last time (most likely) before construction begins on the lobby. I parked and went over for a little while, then went to MK, and then went back, however both times I was there I saw groups of Cast Members in business attire with name tags who looked like they were being given some sort of tour. The second time I saw them I was sitting by the fountain reading and I heard one of the guys say, "So what are you doing to the lobby?" or something along those lines and the guy leading them goes, "Well now that it's been announced we can actually talk about it. The grotto..." and by then he was too far away for me to hear. :( :( As I was walking around, a Cast Member approached me and asked if I needed help with anything and I go, "No, I'm just.." and kind of hesitated and he finishes my sentence with "...enjoying the view?" So I agreed and said I was enjoying the waterfall one last time before it's taken out and he agreed with me that it was hard. I asked him when they're going to remove it and while he said he didn't know but possibly this week. I told him how my family always used to stay at the Polynesian so my earliest Disney memories are from when we stayed at the Polynesian and it nearly brought me to tears. It sounds so crazy that the removal of something like that could be so emotional. I took so many pictures and threw a coin into the water and I still can't believe it was probably for the last time. :( :(

If Disney ruins the Polynesian's lobby, which I'm afraid they're going to, I will absolutely never forgive them.

Cesar R M

I truly don't understand. Please explain this. Are you trying to say that the big water feature did not have enough water? Obviously not what you mean, but I can't figure out what exactly you would mean. Sorry.

The Orlando Sentinel reported today that Disney posted another record quarterly profit, with theme park revenue and profits up also, primarily due to increased prices and a slight uptick in hotel reservations.

Please tell me how it would be that they do not have the money today to fix this, but they found the money to build the resort in the first place, based only on a dream and a plan...
Do disney builds with dreams nowadays? they seem to build with what the wallet thinks.

Boof. World class lobby indeed. Adding a 2014 era Tiki surely adds to the world classness.

perhaps they meant "World Class" as in "Standard for any worldwide hotel".

asianway

I went to the Polynesian today one last time (most likely) before construction begins on the lobby. I parked and went over for a little while, then went to MK, and then went back, however both times I was there I saw groups of Cast Members in business attire with name tags who looked like they were being given some sort of tour. The second time I saw them I was sitting by the fountain reading and I heard one of the guys say, "So what are you doing to the lobby?" or something along those lines and the guy leading them goes, "Well now that it's been announced we can actually talk about it. The grotto..." and by then he was too far away for me to hear. :( :( As I was walking around, a Cast Member approached me and asked if I needed help with anything and I go, "No, I'm just.." and kind of hesitated and he finishes my sentence with "...enjoying the view?" So I agreed and said I was enjoying the waterfall one last time before it's taken out and he agreed with me that it was hard. I asked him when they're going to remove it and while he said he didn't know but possibly this week. I told him how my family always used to stay at the Polynesian so my earliest Disney memories are from when we stayed at the Polynesian and it nearly brought me to tears. It sounds so crazy that the removal of something like that could be so emotional. I took so many pictures and threw a coin into the water and I still can't believe it was probably for the last time. :( :(

If Disney ruins the Polynesian's lobby, which I'm afraid they're going to, I will absolutely never forgive them.
I think they should put a big @$$ sorcerer hat in the lobby. That should make plenty of booboos happy

Tigger1988

The little man interviewed a DVC VP and I guess Disney has finally 'acknowledged' the Poly DVC

He doesn't say a whole lot.. but the one thing that stood out to me were rumors before that maybe the Bungalows would not be open for rental to non-member or non-home-resort people.. but the comments here make it sound like they will be open just like all other DVCs.. (not that I ever expect anyone at the 7m mark to get one..)

When I spoke to Ryan March a few weeks ago he made it sound like there would be a very limited number of Bungalows, I don't get how anyone would be able to book one. Seems like it would be even harder than the Treehouses.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Bigger space means more diffusion of the moisture and bigger air handlers. They are very different concepts to build even tho both are indoor water features.

Not really defending dis... Just saying the two are not really the same

Your thoughts betray you... lol

I'd be curious if this was a health issue. Keep in mind this decoration was built when the only thoughts about air quality were "Smoking or Non-Smoking" Considering the already humid nature outside and inside, is the HVAC system capable of dealing with an indoor waterfall?

Probably not because of that wonderful mildew smell everywhere. (I'd hate to look to see whats growing above those drop ceiling tiles in the return plenum and in the supply ducts. As pointed out unlike the Gaylord Palms, the Poly lobby is small, so getting more capacity without adding obnoxious duct work everywhere maybe tradeoff that factored into eliminating the water feature. When you think about it, it would be cheaper for Disney to leave the water feature than rip it out. There is a reason why they're doing this and I really think it's a probably a health/building issue. I know @tikiman mentioned something about hazard mat abatements in the GCH and longhouses, maybe he can add to this.

Spike-in-Berlin

What really hurts (OK everything about this hurts but this hurts me most at the moment) is that it will happen so fast, we changed our vacation plans 2 months ago (Wanted to be sure to see the SDMT operative and Diagon Alley/Hogwarts Express in USO in our first visit there), otherwise we would fly to WDW TOMORROW and would still have a chance to say "good bye" to the Poly lobby and videotape and photograph it to the max. Now we will not be there before September, too late for the Poly.:(
BTW thanks a lot for all the likes and friendly comments about my major post concerning architecture.

Spike-in-Berlin

Perhaps we should all have been warned by the opening of the Aulani which doesn't feature any water features in the lobby. If Disney didn't even include them in their new flagship resort on Oahu, this was really kind of foreshadowing what could and would happen to the Poly (I wasn't there but you take a look at the lobby at Youtube, it's absolutely nothing special, the present Poly is so much better). We just didn't recognize it as a bad omen.
And what hurts also (yes I know I already said that but there are so many things hurting about this tragic development that they could fill a booklet), I will never be able to show this lobby and the old Poly to my children, because I always dreamed of staying at the Poly one day when I finally have a family (so far I don't have one) during our first family trip to WDW. Perhaps that even hurts most.:arghh:

prberk

Perhaps we should all have been warned by the opening of the Aulani which doesn't feature any water features in the lobby. If Disney didn't even include them in their new flagship resort on Oahu, this was really kind of foreshadowing what could and would happen to the Poly (I wasn't there but you take a look at the lobby at Youtube, it's absolutely nothing special, the present Poly is so much better). We just didn't recognize it as a bad omen.
And what hurts also (yes I know I already said that but there are so many things hurting about this tragic development that they could fill a booklet), I will never be able to show this lobby and the old Poly to my children, because I always dreamed of staying at the Poly one day when I finally have a family (so far I don't have one) during our first family trip to WDW. Perhaps that even hurts most.:arghh:

I completely understand you. And while I understand also that "things move on," I usually interpret that to mean "better," but that is clearly NOT the direction here.

Disney taught us how to bring you into an environment that transports you into a whole new world, and the Poly lobby is clearly that. Now they are tearing it down in the name of "progress." Sad.

Maybe we should solve the capacity/space problem on Main Street, USA, in a similar fashion: Just bulldoze the buildings and make a very large space, with maybe a Victorian-era statue, and maybe a small Victorian side street as a nod to the past, but otherwise, a large open-air shopping and concrete entrance area, with LED TV's along the tops of the walls similating a Victorian skyline but also scrawling information on Fast-Pass Plus wait times and MyMagic+ updates.

And, you know, if they just finally got rid of that darned castle, they could really have capacity for a lot more people in the park... I mean, it's not really a ride, and it really gets in the way of people's movement through the resort. Throughput, people, throughput! Get with the program.

tikiman

Your thoughts betray you... lol

I'd be curious if this was a health issue. Keep in mind this decoration was built when the only thoughts about air quality were "Smoking or Non-Smoking" Considering the already humid nature outside and inside, is the HVAC system capable of dealing with an indoor waterfall?

Probably not because of that wonderful mildew smell everywhere. (I'd hate to look to see whats growing above those drop ceiling tiles in the return plenum and in the supply ducts. As pointed out unlike the Gaylord Palms, the Poly lobby is small, so getting more capacity without adding obnoxious duct work everywhere maybe tradeoff that factored into eliminating the water feature. When you think about it, it would be cheaper for Disney to leave the water feature than rip it out. There is a reason why they're doing this and I really think it's a probably a health/building issue. I know @tikiman mentioned something about hazard mat abatements in the GCH and longhouses, maybe he can add to this.

The rooms had the asbestos removed in 2002 when they did work to get rid of the moisture problem between the rooms. The hallways of the longhouses still had some materials that needed to be removed and that was done in this last room redesign. The GCH has to have much of the "fire proofing" removed and replaced with newer materials along with addressing the issues of the sky lights leaking all the time. There were some other design changes I remember having a conversation with someone about and I want to say it included changing the stairs in some way but I don't have good notes on the details of that.

Work has started today on the atrium and removal of the waterfall. Walls are in the process of going up around the 2nd floor and will continue to go up around the waterfall on the first floor. It will be quite a cave in there for a long while.

Spike-in-Berlin

Mahalo my a$$, Norman

Question: Did you change your avatar for this discussion or did you already use a picture of the Poly waterfalls?
The rooms had the asbestos removed in 2002 when they did work to get rid of the moisture problem between the rooms. The hallways of the longhouses still had some materials that needed to be removed and that was done in this last room redesign. The GCH has to have much of the "fire proofing" removed and replaced with newer materials along with addressing the issues of the sky lights leaking all the time. There were some other design changes I remember having a conversation with someone about and I want to say it included changing the stairs in some way but I don't have good notes on the details of that.

Work has started today on the atrium and removal of the waterfall. Walls are in the process of going up around the 2nd floor and will continue to go up around the waterfall on the first floor. It will be quite a cave in there for a long while.

So they really do it. It still sounds different if you just read about what they are planning to do, but to read that it is actually happening is a totally different story.
At least I know now, that even if we would not have changed our vacation plans and taken the plane tomorrow, we still would have missed the last chance to say goodbye to the lobby as we would have been one day too late.

DisneyGentleman

Given the current state of the parks, it's time to redefine our terms and lower our expectations:

Maintain - something they did decades ago to keep everything in top working order
Has now become...​
Sustain - ensure just enough is working to get folks through the attraction at a reasonable rate

Quality of show - is a park living up to the standards Walt would expect?
Has now become...​
Quality of profit - are $$ being generated at a sufficient rate?

Polish - maintain facilities in pristine condition
Has now become...​
Degrime - what can be done easily to make the place look less decrepit

Refurb - take an attraction down for an extended period to return it to pristine condition, often with many upgrades and surprises
Has now become...​
Defurb - take an attraction down for an extended period, sometimes to patch things to keep it from completely falling apart; but more often just to save operations costs

Attraction - open something so completely amazing that it will captivate audiences for years, polish it daily to keep it amazing, and then refurb on a regular schedule
Has now become...​
Profit center- open something so completely hyped that it will draw rubes to the parks and hotels for years, run it for a year or so to make it look like you tried, and then defurb it to save costs

Yep, another addendum to the growing dictionary.

If the plans call for a large and majestic waterfall feature right outside the lobby that is viewable from the large and open space that will now be there, I think I could be okay with this. I wish there was more transparency with what the rest of the hotel might look like after this is all completed.

Communicore

BOOF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom