PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

El Grupo

Tikiman, weren't you discussing the waterfall removal on a WDW thread in 2Q or 3Q 2013? Though I wasn't surprised to see the passion exhibited here by Poly fans when the concept drawings were released, I guess I wasn't expecting the shock with this decision since it seemed like so many had been talking about it since last year.

tikiman

Tikiman, weren't you discussing the waterfall removal on a WDW thread in 2Q or 3Q 2013? Though I wasn't surprised to see the passion exhibited here by Poly fans when the concept drawings were released, I guess I wasn't expecting the shock with this decision since it seemed like so many had been talking about it since last year.

The first I heard discussions about problems with the waterfall was around 2009 or 2010 so I'm sure they have been discussing it internally much longer. I won't get into why it is coming out because I have beaten that dead horse and everyone has their more negative spin on why anyway. I'm sad to see it go but knowing about it for so long I have come to accept it.

From what I saw there was a little more to the Great Ceremonial House design that you see in the concept art. I think people need to just judge it after it is done because there really is no stopping it now.

huntzilla

The first I heard discussions about problems with the waterfall was around 2009 or 2010 so I'm sure they have been discussing it internally much longer. I won't get into why it is coming out because I have beaten that dead horse and everyone has their more negative spin on why anyway. I'm sad to see it go but knowing about it for so long I have come to accept it.

From what I saw there was a little more to the Great Ceremonial House design that you see in the concept art. I think people need to just judge it after it is done because there really is no stopping it now.

Is there really no stopping it now? It has been a long time since the WDW community and the average Disney Parks Blog reader, has coalesced around a singular issue. Last time there was a real negative outcry was with the M&G's which were eventually converted into our overhyped mine train.

@WDW1974 has been saying for a long time that WDW fans need to pick and choose their battles. I doubt he feels that this is a particularly good issue, but it does seem to have emboldened many, even outside the community.

@tikiman if the issue is truly structural, can that not be fixed. If the running water is truly a health hazard, could it not be recreated to dissipate that problem. All I want to know is, is there no stopping it now because the current powers to be deem it so, or that it is an honest health risk that cannot go on any longer, even if the entire fountain was rebuilt?

Communicore

New-Polynesian_Lobby.jpg

Is this the new minimalist type of design for hotels?

How is it the Westin in Kansas City can imagineer a new lobby fountain better than Disney?
lobby%20waterfall.jpg
They'd be better off stealing the Magic Fountain from Adventureland and placing it here. Oh wait, that fountain is gone too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The first I heard discussions about problems with the waterfall was around 2009 or 2010 so I'm sure they have been discussing it internally much longer. I won't get into why it is coming out because I have beaten that dead horse and everyone has their more negative spin on why anyway. I'm sad to see it go but knowing about it for so long I have come to accept it.]

how about a link or cliff notes version? I tried paging through your site but did not find specific stories to why.. thanks

COProgressFan

@tikiman if the issue is truly structural, can that not be fixed. If the running water is truly a health hazard, could it not be recreated to dissipate that problem. All I want to know is, is there no stopping it now because the current powers to be deem it so, or that it is an honest health risk that cannot go on any longer, even if the entire fountain was rebuilt?

Anything can be fixed if there is the will to do so.

There are fountains and waterfalls in shopping malls and resorts across the world. There is nothing to prevent Disney from ripping up the old water feature and replacing it with one that meets more current standards. If Disney suggests otherwise (officially or unofficially) they are flat out lying.

The reality is they just don't want to spend it and feel that offering a lesser product is fine.

The rest of the world has out-Disneyed Disney, and they just don't care.

sweetpee_1993

Is there really no stopping it now? It has been a long time since the WDW community and the average Disney Parks Blog reader, has coalesced around a singular issue. Last time there was a real negative outcry was with the M&G's which were eventually converted into our overhyped mine train.

@WDW1974 has been saying for a long time that WDW fans need to pick and choose their battles. I doubt he feels that this is a particularly good issue, but it does seem to have emboldened many, even outside the community.

The Toad-In(s) didn't stop Mr. Toad from being gutted. The Adventurer's Club is still a piece of WDW history. Just saying.

Sorry for those unhappy about the changes. I'm sure its little consolation but I was at Trader Sam's last week and it was great. I think the Poly is going to benefit in a big way from an east coast incarnation.

tl77

The more I think about the situation has we understand it, the less it makes sense.
Why would Disney remove the popular waterfall fountain, AND not replace it, AND various WDI employees have acted weirdly defensive or smug about the decision to do so?
We know that Disney has announced a major renovation of the resort's main lobby AND the pool area. We only have concept art of the former.
What if something grand is in the works for the pool area and the surrounding grounds, something that will echo the original waterfall feature in the lobby, to the extent that it would make it thematically redundant and cheap-looking when completed?

If there's one area where Disney's resorts have always marched forward, not backward in terms of scope and quality, its their swimming pools. I know this is speculation on my part, but what if Disney's overall plan for the Polynesian is to completely redo the main pool area with a large series of volcanic rock waterfalls that stretches all the way to where the also-rebuilt Captain Cook's quick-service restaurant will be? A master plan for the resort that would increase its status, but can't be revealed just yet would explain both the apparent "downgrade" of the lobby and the out of character behavior of WDI's staff.

I think you might be on to something with the pool, there were some rumors plans for a very elaborate pool to go with the new DVC that got cut... these are some rough estimates people did of canceled plans from last year

Polynesian%20Villas%20Map%20Render%20SM.jpg

r-1368057801-GrandFloridianDVC1.jpg

tikiman

I don’t have enough information on the details of the problem to evaluate what it would take to fix it but they have been saying that it needs to be removed for years. We all know the whole thing can be knocked down and recreated with a more modern pump and filter system but over a year ago the design was approved and the project to remove the waterfall had a green light. Back then when I made my “Save the Waterfall” shirts and stickers I think there was a chance of stopping the plan to open up the middle of the lobby but now it is my opinion that they are too far down the road with the design and permits. Honestly, I don’t think it is a bad idea to open up the middle. I do like the waterfall but this is not the only thing in my life I have seen change over the years. We have seen whole rides be removed and we can still enjoy the parks with them missing.
There has been a lot of misinformation going around in this posting but I’m going to do my best to stay out of it.

huntzilla

I don’t have enough information on the details of the problem to evaluate what it would take to fix it but they have been saying that it needs to be removed for years. We all know the whole thing can be knocked down and recreated with a more modern pump and filter system but over a year ago the design was approved and the project to remove the waterfall had a green light. Back then when I made my “Save the Waterfall” shirts and stickers I think there was a chance of stopping the plan to open up the middle of the lobby but now it is my opinion that they are too far down the road with the design and permits. Honestly, I don’t think it is a bad idea to open up the middle. I do like the waterfall but this is not the only thing in my life I have seen change over the years. We have seen whole rides be removed and we can still enjoy the parks with them missing.
There has been a lot of misinformation going around in this posting but I’m going to do my best to stay out of it.

That's fair, I would have liked a shirt though haha.

Any updated word on the desecration of the volcano? I was a bit surprised that did not mention that either. I'm secretly hoping the budget got cut for that but I don't think that'll be the case.

tikiman

I think you might be on to something with the pool, there were some rumors plans for a very elaborate pool to go with the new DVC that got cut... these are some rough estimates people did of canceled plans from last year

Polynesian%20Villas%20Map%20Render%20SM.jpg

r-1368057801-GrandFloridianDVC1.jpg

I created that from what they had as a concept at Imagineering back in 2011 but most of those 2 phase plans were changed in 2013. They are discussing maybe still adding another pool but much of the speculation I have seen going around about a waterfall like in the lobby out at some new pool I am told it false.
The volcano pool is not changing the pool itself but the actual volcano will be reduced into some other rock formation. There is already a waterfall as part of that pool so Im sure there will be something similar. The DVC pool was originally going to have a lazy river but I have not heard if they are going to reconsider that if they add the DVC pool back into the plan. A lot of things have been changing lately with the DVC side. That is why we saw Tokelau close to be converted. That was never in the original plan.
The most false rumors I have heard center around the changes to the pool but I think those are coming from staff who are trying to fill in the blanks because they are not being told much. I’ve had staff emailing me asking what is going on. I had someone at the resort tell me that management told them last month that Trader Sam’s was never going to be put at the Polynesian. Most of the decisions are being kept in other departments of Disney and not shared with the Polynesian staff. Maybe they are just worried that they know too many guests personally and will tell them things Disney does not want to get out.

tikiman

That's fair, I would have liked a shirt though haha.

Any updated word on the desecration of the volcano? I was a bit surprised that did not mention that either. I'm secretly hoping the budget got cut for that but I don't think that'll be the case.

I was told the pool and slide are not changing but the volcano will be reduced in size and re-themed into more of a rock formation. The major work will be to expand the pool deck area and add new features like a kids wet play area (similar to the one at Aulani) and an infinity hot tub (where the kids wet play area is now). There was mention of an area for the torch lighting ceremony near the pool . Those are the only details I can share now. A few things are being discussed but I was asked not to mention them. I think the pool work will be a much bigger impact on the look of the resort and will affect guests more while it is going on from August to next March.

michmousefan

And your head and neck thank you...:confused:

I've been on two: Hangman (now Kong) and Serial Thriller (now Thunderhawk).
I've had enough for this lifetime...
When Thunderhawk was moved to Michigan's Adventure, I rode it with friends who were new to the little beast. I went over detailed instructions on where to place and hold your head during the ride... they thought I was nuts beforehand, not so much after the ride was over.

ptaylor

Premium Member
For those of you who are really upset over the changes, forget trying to convince Disney to change the plans - it is way too late for that. Instead, vote with your wallet. Don't stay at the Poly. You want water features in the lobby? Go to the Gaylord Palms - it's a few minutes down the road from Pop Century, costs about a third of the price of the Poly, and has a lobby that is so much better than the current or future Poly.

COProgressFan

For those of you who are really upset over the changes, forget trying to convince Disney to change the plans - it is way too late for that. Instead, vote with your wallet. Don't stay at the Poly. You want water features in the lobby? Go to the Gaylord Palms - it's a few minutes down the road from Pop Century, costs about a third of the price of the Poly, and has a lobby that is so much better than the current or future Poly.

Such a shame it's come to this.

I stayed on site nearly every visit since childhood (there were only 3 resorts then!). But the past several years, we've found some wonderful off property resorts, that offer so much more than Disney resorts, at a fraction of the cost. From what I've read on these forums, (and @ParentsOf4 's wonderful analyses) there's lots of other folks who are doing the same thing.

The question is, does Disney even care?

note2001

Disney has done a pretty decent job of adding something amazingly special to each DVC resort they've built in recent years. VGF has the lobby fountain, Kidani has the pool, and imho, a pretty amazing lobby, BLT, in addition to it's location has the pool. I have no doubt something amazing will be added to the Poly too.

Is this statue going to squirt water too, Adventureland style?

Come to think of it, there is a lot of "spitting" going on over there in Adventureland. LOL.
Such a shame it's come to this.

I stayed on site nearly every visit since childhood (there were only 3 resorts then!). But the past several years, we've found some wonderful off property resorts, that offer so much more than Disney resorts, at a fraction of the cost. From what I've read on these forums, (and @ParentsOf4 's wonderful analyses) there's lots of other folks who are doing the same thing.

No, They won't care as the updates to the entire resort along with DVC will more than likely boost demand when they tell the public it's what they want. They are the only company I can think of that can take some Disney-cute child and convince the world she can sing, dance or act and no one questions it. They do the same thing to us with the parks and resorts. (Spin will be: "You wanted the new lobby! Here it is, and it's spectacular!")

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I was told the pool and slide are not changing but the volcano will be reduced in size and re-themed into more of a rock formation. The major work will be to expand the pool deck area and add new features like a kids wet play area (similar to the one at Aulani) and an infinity hot tub (where the kids wet play area is now). There was mention of an area for the torch lighting ceremony near the pool . Those are the only details I can share now. A few things are being discussed but I was asked not to mention them. I think the pool work will be a much bigger impact on the look of the resort and will affect guests more while it is going on from August to next March.

The budget allows for so many water features such as kids wet play area, hot tub, and pool refurb, but no money to update the WF. It feels as if they have "painted themselves into a corner" as far as excuses for why they are taking it out. I really like (and believe) what @COProgressFan said, Disney just doesnt seem to care if they get out-Disneyed by the rest of the world. Even if there are other things being done that you cant discuss, what are the odds of any of them being over the top, jaw dropping, and amazing? Or at least on the grand scale of the WF? Probly very low. I hope Im wrong. Thanks for the info you have been sharing, sir. Much appreciated.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Another question I often wonder is, does Disney (TDO, whoever) actually think that any of these offerings they have come up with are ACTUALLY good? Seriously, are they lacking in creativity so badly that these ideas genuinely seem good? Or do they fully know that they are just cost cutting and offering sub par crap and spinning it as if its magic? I really dont know which one is worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom