Photos and Video - New UK Pavilion band - The English Channel

(Allow me to be bit cheeky.)
I have taken it upon myself to submit a list to Disney for the following tribute bands to be hired for their respective pavilions.

Germany - Kraftwerk and David Hasselhoff or Falco
Norway - A-Ha
Canada - (Hard to choose just one.) Crash Test Dummies/Rush/Bachman-Turner Overdrive
France - Daft Punk
Italy - Genesis (Although the band isn't from Italy, they became very popular in Italy before they were recognized anywhere else. Plus...it's hard to think of bands from some of these countries!)
Mexico - Freddy Fender
United States - Dee Lite or Sugar Hill Gang
United Kingdom - Dexy's Midnight Runners or Duran Duran
Japan/China/Morocco - Sorry. I am ignorant of the band exports from these countries.

:ROFLOL:

A Rush tribute band would be amazing; I don't think their mainstream enough for Disney to consider though. I do think the band's set list is a welcome change, the Beatles isn't the only good band from the United Kingdom. The singer sounds fairly well, but his limits are tested on some of the more high range Led Zeppelin songs like "Rock and Roll". Then again It's hard to compare someone playing in a theme park cover band to Robert Plant.

RSoxNo1

When are the Nelson brothers going to become a permanent fixture in Norway? It's not like they have anything better to do.

PalisadesPkteer

Wonder if there have been complaints or thank you for this at Guest relations.

I say again. There is more than just playing instruments and singing.

If you are at EPCOT then you should have stage presence and appropriate presentation which includes wearing something other than T- shirts etc.

IMHO this band does not have enough singing talent for a Disney park. They have no stage presence and the presentation is awful.

They are good at playing instruments but that is it right now.

Could Disney spend the time, money and effort to get this band a better stage presence and better presentation? They could but why would you if you could find a band that already has it.

IMHO you could do this but they still do not have enough singing talent.

Just get a better band.

By the way. I took drums for a few years.

Mikester71

This is exactly it, and some people just aren't getting it.

Agree

How about they change Off Kilter and have them wear any old shirts and jeans? It would defeat half the point.

But on the flip side, they would look more like normal Canadians! I'm Canadian and wondered why they hired a Scottish band the first time I saw Off Kilter. Have yet to see one of my friends, or anybody for that matter, go outside in a kilt listening to that kind of music up here!!! :shrug: :ROFLOL:

captainkidd

Wonder if there have been complaints or thank you for this at Guest relations.

I say again. There is more than just playing instruments and singing.

If you are at EPCOT then you should have stage presence and appropriate presentation which includes wearing something other than T- shirts etc.

IMHO this band does not have enough singing talent for a Disney park. They have no stage presence and the presentation is awful.

They are good at playing instruments but that is it right now.

Could Disney spend the time, money and effort to get this band a better stage presence and better presentation? They could but why would you if you could find a band that already has it.

IMHO you could do this but they still do not have enough singing talent.

Just get a better band.

By the way. I took drums for a few years.

Bingo.

Texas84

Minor thread bump. Saw them this week and they were GREAT! I guess I like bar bands. Did a decent version of Bohemian Rhapsody. The crowd was big and really into the show. Tigger and Pooh came out and danced during a Zeppelin tune and the crowd went nuts. Did a little schtick about destroying their instruments after a song by the Who. "We can't afford that again." Agree they need to find a gimmick but I really enjoyed the show. Ended with Sgt. Pepper. I am not in a band and do not play an instrument but I have been listening to live music for 30 years. :D

Texas84

(Allow me to be bit cheeky.)
I have taken it upon myself to submit a list to Disney for the following tribute bands to be hired for their respective pavilions.

Germany - Kraftwerk and David Hasselhoff or Falco
Norway - A-Ha
Canada - (Hard to choose just one.) Crash Test Dummies/Rush/Bachman-Turner Overdrive
France - Daft Punk
Italy - Genesis (Although the band isn't from Italy, they became very popular in Italy before they were recognized anywhere else. Plus...it's hard to think of bands from some of these countries!)
Mexico - Freddy Fender
United States - Dee Lite or Sugar Hill Gang
United Kingdom - Dexy's Midnight Runners or Duran Duran
Japan/China/Morocco - Sorry. I am ignorant of the band exports from these countries.

:ROFLOL:

Japan - The Pillows! Watch FLCL.

righttrack

Having just returned from Epcot, let me tell you a few things about these guys...

FABULOUS!!!!

First of all, I love The Beatles, always have. There is more to British rock than The Beatles, and they have captured it. They have the songs America, and the world loves. To Brit's Queen is as important a band as the fab four, and they cover them. No one can doubt the influence of The Kinks and Led Zeppelin as well. The Kinks invented hard rock and Zeppelin invented the modern hockey hall concert tour. Don't even get me started about The Who!

Besides that these guys were great, they played well, they also brought their joy in the music to the garden. Everyone was on their feet and they had a good crowd both times I saw them. I've seen a lot of bar bands, but never ones to cover the difficult covers these guys took on. Sure some basics, but great set. Much higher energy and appeals to all generations present. Tons of Beatles represented in their set!!!

The setlists I saw were:

Pinball Wizard - The Who
Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
Live and Let Die - Wings
Birthday - The Beatles
My Generation - The Who
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (middle section, end, insane! worth the price of admission)
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(reprise) - The Beatles
The End - The Beatles
Hey Jude (sing along outro) - The Beatles

Guys, if you're out there. Big fan, BIG FAN!!!

wannabeBelle

Hey there Right, Good deal, I saw them as well in May and thought they were awesome!!! I had a great time at all of the sets I saw. I heard quite a bit of duplication but Im sure that will change with time as well. In the meantime hearing great music played with such energy and enthusiasm is just fine by me!!! I Am glad that you had such a great time. I dont think that any of the guys are on this site, but it might get picked up by one of them. I hope you got a chance to get over and talk to the guys or take a picture with them as they stay to do meet and greets with the fans. I have to tell you that I like that a lot, it lends a personal touch to the performance in my opinion. As a suggestion, if you havent done so already be sure to check out Mulch, Sweat & Shears at the Studios. Just amazing!!!! Marie

wannabeBelle

Agreed. Bummer I LOVED listening to the Beatles tunes :(

The new band plays not only Beatles but many other British groups as well. It is just a more diverse mix not necessarily eliminating the Beatles entirely. I dont think anyone here will say that the Beatles were not a huge influence on the global music scene and as such should still be represented and still are. They are just thrown in with a greater variety to represent the great contribution many British bands have made to the popular music scene. Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom