Phase closing and wait times - holidays 2012

Jakester

The Epcot Parking lot was full. Like Wonders was full. Like parked by Woodpecker Lane full.

Sat in the lot trying to leave from 1:40-2:40. Epcot Center drive was a disaster. Things cleared up once we got passed the I-4 exit.

I'm never doing that again.
I did t even Ty to leave magic kingdom after the 2am close, walked out around 2:45am to emptyish Main Street. Besides One More Disney Day, New Years 2013 was my longest day inside magic kingdom (7:50am - 2:45am)

MissM

We got there around 7pm, but walked right into the parade. THAT was pure Hell. Trying to get from the train station to the backstage opening was miserable. I got COMPLETELY and violently pushed by this woman the entire way despite shoving her back as hard as I could, she kept smooshing me. I even totally lost Love. Got to the sidewalk by the hat shop and had to climb a column to find him, then wait for him to get to me. After that, we went to Tomorrowland and Cosmic Rays for some food. Lines weren't bad at all but they were making people get in a queue for a table. We got one fast though.

After eating we tried to get over to First Aid to get some earplugs but they were funneling people one way only, so we wound up having to go all the way around to Adventureland to circle back. It was really weird. All the bridges were blocked off. Everything was one-way. We made it there, then were funneled one-way out backstage again behind the Crystal Palace and that side of Main Street. We wound up just grabbing some chairs back there to watch Holiday Wishes at 8:30pm. It wasn't crowded but bad thing was they didn't play the music back there so you missed half the fun of the show.

nye-backstage1.jpg

After Holiday Wishes, we got back on stage and made our way around a little. Things got a bit easier after Holiday Wishes and some of the one-way only loosened up. We went to Adventureland and then rode Haunted Mansion with only a 20 minute wait. We went back into Tomorrowland, rode People Mover (with about a 20 minute wait too! here's the line!!)
nye-tta.jpg

...then went back stage behind Tomorrowland to go to Main Street, but they had it all roped off and they just circled us back where we started. So we pulled up some pavement around 11:15pm and waited. They had lights and music playing back there so it wasn't bad. It also wasn't very crowded.

They DID play the music on that side of backstage and 360 was AWESOME from back there too.

After the fireworks, we immediately went back towards Tomorrowland. EVERYONE was going the other way out towards the exits. It was insane. We walked right on People Mover and rode that. Then we headed up by the Castle since we literally hadn't be able to get anywhere near the Hub since we arrived.

nye-dj.jpg

The DJ had music going non-stop and a dedicated group right up by the stage were jumping and dancing. It was fun. He announced free hot cocoa and cookies so we went over to Columbia Harbor House and got some. Then we walked to Big Thunder for a 10 minute wait. Frontierland at that point was EMPTY.

nye-frontierland.jpg

We hit the Emporium on the way out and left around 1:30am. Got the 2nd Express monorail, and the 3rd tram. It was backed up a bit in the MK parking lot as you pass the Speedway and the Hess. All the exits to Epcot, Downtown Disney and such were blocked by cops with flashing lights which didn't help. But it was slow-moving, not standstill and we got on I-4 to very little traffic all the way back to Tampa. Got home around 3:45am or so.

Everything but the initial entry during the parade was manageable and it wasn't as bad as I've been in before on other phase-closing days. Even though it was busy, they really were on the ball with traffic flow and like it or not, it helped. Outside of Main Street, it didn't feel completely packed either. I had a good time and I'm glad we decided at the last minute to go.

Timekeeper

Test Track was a 230 minute wait throughout most of the day. Single rider hovered around 90 to 120 minutes. The attraction was also delayed in its opening in the morning.

DDuckFan130

I just posted my sorta maybe review on another thread, so I'll copy and paste and add a few things based on what was said:

Was at Epcot last night too and thought it was funny that NYE happened later. I just kept saying "We're on Disney time right now who cares?!"

We were at Pop Century so we had to wait a while for a bus, and I was lucky enough to sit so I knocked out on the way back. But that traffic was insane and it took us a long time to get back!

Quick rundown of how we did things: Sunday afternoon: DHS. All we did was drink at the Tune In Lounge, see the Osborne Lights, then headed for the TTC/MK. At around 6:30 or so they weren't running the monorail so we took the ferry. No wait really. Getting into MK was pretty crazy, mainly because of all the crowds coming and going and such a narrow pathway. Once inside...yeah still a bit nuts but not too bad. They had us watch Holiday Wishes from "backstage." It was nice to sit and they had a DJ back there, but for anyone seeing those fireworks for the first time, not the best place for them. We got FP's for Buzz, headed to Little Mermaid. Wait said 60, we only waited 30. Walked onto Philharmagic AND the carousel lol. After Buzz we headed to the castle (with no problem) where the DJ was and then we saw Fantasy in the Sky. Stayed dancing for a while until crowds died down.

Yesterday we were at AK at noon, walked onto Dinosaur, Everest was down and by the time it was back up, wait was long. So we headed to Africa and got FP's for the Safari (only an hour away). Got to Epcot at 3:30 or so. Line to get in wasn't TOO bad. But to eat lunch? That was nuts. My sister and her fiance wanted China, so I grabbed some empanadas from Mexico and headed there. We found a hidden bench and sat there luckily. Then we went to the US and hung out there.

I would highly recommend spending NYE at Epcot. SO MUCH FUN!!! The only things I didn't care for were 1) the crowds were crazy but a lot of people were downright RUDE! 2) Those damn noise makers. Grown people were having way too much fun with those, and it was especially disruptive during the NYE segment of Illuminations. 3) The bathroom situation was out of control! We spent most of the night in the US/Italy, and the US bathroom was crazy long. I waited longer to use the bathroom than I did to ride Little Mermaid the night before! And it got so bad women started to use the men's bathroom. CM's finally got the hint and opened up some other bathrooms for us to use.

Overall had lots of fun though. Gotta love Latin music and great music being played at the American Gardens Theater. For people not into that they had real club/rave music in other countries...didn't care for that myself lol. We did see Fantasy in the Sky at MK the night before, but I'm glad we spent NYE at Epcot. :)

Timekeeper

The bathroom situation was out of control! We spent most of the night in the US/Italy, and the US bathroom was crazy long. I waited longer to use the bathroom than I did to ride Little Mermaid the night before! And it got so bad women started to use the men's bathroom. CM's finally got the hint and opened up some other bathrooms for us to use.

The bathroom situation is probably the worst part about NYE at Epcot (well, that and trying to leave the parking lot). I feel sorry for anyone who had the misfortune of wearing sandals or open-toed shoes in those disgusting environments. Yes, the crowds and foot traffic between FW and WS are unbearable, but at least they have alternate routes backstage. I've found that the best bathroom to use on NYE is the relatively hidden one behind Imagination.

DDuckFan130

The bathroom situation is probably the worst part about NYE at Epcot (well, that and trying to leave the parking lot). I feel sorry for anyone who had the misfortune of wearing sandals or open-toed shoes in those disgusting environments. Yes, the crowds and foot traffic between FW and WS are unbearable, but at least they have alternate routes backstage. I've found that the best bathroom to use on NYE is the relatively hidden one behind Imagination.

I just think WS needs more freaking bathrooms! I would have loved to use the one by Imagination but there was no sense in walking all the way over there. When we were leaving, I used the one by the Odyssey building or whatever with no problem whatsoever lol

Timekeeper

I just think WS needs more freaking bathrooms!

For special events like this, yes, it does. If they are going to utilize fancy "portos" (bathroom trailers like the one between Imagination and Canada, adjacent to a sidewalk that's only a few feet wide), then they ought to place some in the alleys between countries, instead of using that prime space just to hand out party hats and noisemakers.

DDuckFan130

For special events like this, yes, it does. If they are going to utilize fancy "portos" (bathroom trailers like the one between Imagination and Canada, adjacent to a sidewalk that's only a few feet wide), then they ought to place some in the alleys between countries, instead of using that prime space just to hand out party hats and noisemakers.

Actually, they did do that yesterday. There's a walkway between the US and Italy and they opened the gate there and set up those fancy trailers for people to use. If they did that anywhere else I'm not sure though.

Timekeeper

Actually, they did do that yesterday. There's a walkway between the US and Italy and they opened the gate there and set up those fancy trailers for people to use. If they did that anywhere else I'm not sure though.

It just didn't seem like enough. There are more alleys that could have been utilized.

PhotoDave219

I just think WS needs more freaking bathrooms! I would have loved to use the one by Imagination but there was no sense in walking all the way over there. When we were leaving, I used the one by the Odyssey building or whatever with no problem whatsoever lol

Or less people at WDW.....

PhotoDave219

So there's a rumor going around my circle that this holiday season had the highest room occupancy ever for a holiday season.

Can anyone confirm this?

Hobnail Boot

So there's a rumor going around my circle that this holiday season had the highest room occupancy ever for a holiday season.

Can anyone confirm this?
Judging from the MK bus stop last night, I'd say yes.

We got to the park around 10:30am and stayed the whole day. We took our time and only did Space Mountain, Little Mermaid, Country Bears, Liberty Belle, and the Peoplemover before sitting down around 5:30. We got an awesome spot right across from the rose garden entrance on the Tomorrowland bridge. We stayed there until the fireworks were over and then headed over to Frontierland for our first ride of the new year on Big Thunder. Crowds were non-existant by that point. When we left, it was 1:15am and the MK bus stops were ridiculous. We're staying at Riverside, and it took almost 45 minutes for a bus to finally come to our stop. We do this every year and something was different about how they were running the buses. AKL, Riverside, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin were all on the same side and we watched as about 10 empty buses drove right on by. They were even using charter buses and cruise line buses this year, which is something I don't remember them doing before. Still, we had a fun time and this was by far the most relaxing NYE at MK for us yet.

PhotoDave219

There's a rumor about there being licensing "issues" with the contracted Mears buses last night & things expiring.

However the main bus problem was all the heavy traffic; guests trying to get on I-4 caused the backups.

DDuckFan130

Judging from the MK bus stop last night, I'd say yes.

We got to the park around 10:30am and stayed the whole day. We took our time and only did Space Mountain, Little Mermaid, Country Bears, Liberty Belle, and the Peoplemover before sitting down around 5:30. We got an awesome spot right across from the rose garden entrance on the Tomorrowland bridge. We stayed there until the fireworks were over and then headed over to Frontierland for our first ride of the new year on Big Thunder. Crowds were non-existant by that point. When we left, it was 1:15am and the MK bus stops were ridiculous. We're staying at Riverside, and it took almost 45 minutes for a bus to finally come to our stop. We do this every year and something was different about how they were running the buses. AKL, Riverside, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin were all on the same side and we watched as about 10 empty buses drove right on by. They were even using charter buses and cruise line buses this year, which is something I don't remember them doing before. Still, we had a fun time and this was by far the most relaxing NYE at MK for us yet.

The charter bus thing has been in place for a couple of years now. We go for Memorial Day, Thanksgiving and other such weekends (4th of July also) and we've taken charter buses back to the hotel. Pretty cool lol

BringMeTheHoriz

I would highly recommend spending NYE at Epcot. SO MUCH FUN!!! The only things I didn't care for were 1) the crowds were crazy but a lot of people were downright RUDE! 2) Those damn noise makers. Grown people were having way too much fun with those, and it was especially disruptive during the NYE segment of Illuminations. 3) The bathroom situation was out of control! We spent most of the night in the US/Italy, and the US bathroom was crazy long. I waited longer to use the bathroom than I did to ride Little Mermaid the night before! And it got so bad women started to use the men's bathroom. CM's finally got the hint and opened up some other bathrooms for us to use.

Funny you mention the bathrooms thing. I was in a bathroom at Magic Kingdom, and while washing my hands I noticed a woman washing her hands beside me. I almost had a heart attack thinking I was in the wrong bathroom.

And one more thing on parking. Instead of waiting for the Monorail or the Boat back to the TTS, we hopped the boat to the Polynesian and walked back to our car. Sometimes you've got to think outside the box.

DDuckFan130

That reminded me that yesterday on KS we had a driver who deviated somewhat from his script, but it wasn't necessarily all that bad. The person in the front row (and even my sister's fiance) would ask questions and he answered them. On the other hand, you could tell he wasn't enjoying life very much. A family in front of us (not from here, but they understood English) were not following instructions and right when the guy said "please remember not to stand up," the father stands up. The driver replied with "Didn't I just say not to stand up?" Embarrassing on both ends lol

I feel for the CM's because it can't be easy. But not all of them are that great to begin with. Some really are downright rude, including to those of us who are complying with the traffic flow and such. I would prefer not to be reprimanded when I haven't done anything :rolleyes: I don't do that to my students (and I teach middle school) so please treat the guests nicely until they give you a reason not to lol

WDW1974

Really? Was it still 93,000?

I don't buy that for a second. I don't see how you could possibly get that many people in that park with all those ECVs and double-wide strollers. ... I'd have to ask, but I would bet capacity that is actually enforced is considerably lower. ... Yes, even with Fantasyland's new 'replacements'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom