Peter Pan

Patrick_Ears

Original Poster
I think there was a thread about this on here but i'm not sure. Now i'm not making up anything, i was just wondering if Peter Pan will get a make over with the new Fantasyland? Buuutt there is other things to other than PP.

RSoxNo1

The current Skyway demolition is preparation for a new walking area to Liberty Square. This walking path will also include a restroom that would make the current restroom next to Peter Pan's Flight somewhat redundant. The thought is (I don't think this has been officially confirmed) that the Peter Pan area restroom would close and a new interactive queue would be designed for Peter Pan.

I think many of us on here are hoping for more than just an interactive queue and a significant refurbishment of the ride

bgraham34

I would doubt they plan to change the ride itself. Why would they need to update the ride when there is always a wait of 45 minutes or longer.

IWant2GoNow

I would doubt they plan to change the ride itself. Why would they need to update the ride when there is always a wait of 45 minutes or longer.

I don't think they would build it again from the ground up, but it could definitely use a LOT of maintenance. Paint, cleaning, AA grease, audio upgrade, general effect upkeep... etc. I feel the ride is fine the way it is, it just needs spruced up.

RSoxNo1

The wait is 45 minutes or longer because it has a horrible capacity compared to guest demand. More people can and do ride Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - it's a better ride with a higher capacity.

I believe part of the the problem with Peter Pan's Flight is that it's not ADA compliant and has been grandfathered in. Any significant changes to the attraction would result in them having to upgrade the ADA compliance for the attraction. A new ride system that can support heavier boats (read larger boats) is necessary for the capacity issues with this attraction. However, to do that they would probably need a way to stop a boat without completely disrupting the ride. This would probably mean a boat taken off the track to a side area similar to Space Mountain at Disneyland or Toy Story Mania. My hope is that this happens after the expansion, and during this technical refurbishment the ride itself is refreshed and possibly improved upon.

sublimesting

The line is terrible! it needs an overhaul badly. It may be the worst line in the park. I feel like you just stand next to a wall in a damp, humid alley.

Since1976

The new interactive queue -- assuming the rumor is true -- is such a great idea. I haven't done Peter Pan's Flight without a FastPass since the system was introduced. I have such vivid memories of enduring the boring line of PPF as a kid. Never again!

Magenta Panther

That's a fair question to ask, given the way the parks are run today.

But in Walt's day, the fact that the technology now exists to plus the HECK out of Peter Pan's flight would have been reason enough to do so.

*sigh*...

AEfx

The wait is 45 minutes or longer because it has a horrible capacity compared to guest demand. More people can and do ride Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - it's a better ride with a higher capacity.

I believe part of the the problem with Peter Pan's Flight is that it's not ADA compliant and has been grandfathered in. Any significant changes to the attraction would result in them having to upgrade the ADA compliance for the attraction. A new ride system that can support heavier boats (read larger boats) is necessary for the capacity issues with this attraction. However, to do that they would probably need a way to stop a boat without completely disrupting the ride. This would probably mean a boat taken off the track to a side area similar to Space Mountain at Disneyland or Toy Story Mania. My hope is that this happens after the expansion, and during this technical refurbishment the ride itself is refreshed and possibly improved upon.

Yay! Someone else explains it that doesn't have to be me. :)

Every month or two a Pan thread comes up, and I feel like a broken record explaining it. :)

Now, I do have an interesting update. I was on Pan a few weeks ago, and it stopped dead in it's tracks (I was in the Neverland room). And a minute or two later...started back up, from a stop. It was interesting, because I hadn't heard that had been happening.

That said, what was VERY interesting is I saw EXACTLY what the problem is. Or what seemed it to me.

When it restarts, some boats start up a little before the others, leading to uneven spaces between the ships which I assume could cause issues (being too close together on the track is extra weight, load, etc. on the track beam). My boat was very close to the one in front of me, but the one behind me hadn't caught up. Now as soon as they do a full cycle they should all be uniform again, but it still could be considered a hazard depending on what the specs of the track are.

It was interesting, to say the least.

Neverland

Peter Pan puts through nearly twice as many guests in an hour as Winnie the Pooh. Mostly it's extreme popularity, numerous downtimes (there's no way to slow the boats down if someone has trouble getting in, like at Mansion or Nemo; they have to stop the ride quite often because of this), and large amounts of fastpass guests that make the line as long and slow-moving as it is.

And yes, that's precisely why it hasn't been updated. If they changed anything involving the ride system, they would be required to completely redo it to be up to ADA's standards. Nothing inside the ride has been changed since 1971. The console is covered with dust and looks like it's about to fall apart. I think the only change is the addition of remote e-stop handpacks (those garage-door-opener things that the CMs have). I want to say that Peter Pan is the only ride at Disney World where you must be able to walk to ride. If a guest has to be carried, they aren't allowed on. That is definitely not ADA-compliant.

Now, I do have an interesting update. I was on Pan a few weeks ago, and it stopped dead in it's tracks (I was in the Neverland room). And a minute or two later...started back up, from a stop. It was interesting, because I hadn't heard that had been happening.

That said, what was VERY interesting is I saw EXACTLY what the problem is. Or what seemed it to me.

When it restarts, some boats start up a little before the others, leading to uneven spaces between the ships which I assume could cause issues (being too close together on the track is extra weight, load, etc. on the track beam). My boat was very close to the one in front of me, but the one behind me hadn't caught up. Now as soon as they do a full cycle they should all be uniform again, but it still could be considered a hazard depending on what the specs of the track are.

It was interesting, to say the least.

Actually, Peter Pan is so incredibly old, it doesn't auto-e-stop like other rides do if something happens inside the ride. What you experienced was probably a manual e-stop due to a slow guest. Like I mentioned above, Pan can't slow down if someone can't get on/off fast enough. Mansion and Nemo can because one has been extensively refurbed and the other is new, and had the mechanism designed into it. At Pan, if someone does not get on/off their boat quick enough and they get past a certain point, one of the CMs has to stop the whole ride immediately (because it's a sort of omnimover and there's no way to stop just the boats in the station), get the guests on/off, then restart. Usually it's not even a guest with a disability; it's a guest who is ignoring CMs and refuses to get off the boat, or a guest waits way too long to board their boat and tries to run for it instead of just going on the next one. This happens probably every twenty minutes; sometimes even more often than that. Next time you're in Pan and the ride stops for only a minute or two, it's probably a guest who didn't listen. If a stop has something to do with the actual ride and its mechanism, maintenance must be called and they must arrive on the scene and tell the CMs what to do, which leads to a stop lasting five minutes or more.

Either that or one of the moving belts at load or unload decided to stop working. It happens often enough, and the solution is simply to stop the ride and restart it.

AEfx

And yes, that's precisely why it hasn't been updated. If they changed anything involving the ride system, they would be required to completely redo it to be up to ADA's standards. Nothing inside the ride has been changed since 1971. The console is covered with dust and looks like it's about to fall apart. I think the only change is the addition of remote e-stop handpacks (those garage-door-opener things that the CMs have). I want to say that Peter Pan is the only ride at Disney World where you must be able to walk to ride. If a guest has to be carried, they aren't allowed on. That is definitely not ADA-compliant.

Don't forget about the TTA. You must be able to stand to get up the escalator, and they will not allow chairs to go up even if you want to try. But I believe those are the only two - we've been to 'em all, haha.

That said, I have assisted in carrying someone onto Pan before. It's difficult and stressful for everyone involved. Interesting to hear it's not officially condoned.

My hope is once TLM and Mine Train are done, they shut down Pan for a good year rebuild. They haven't been able to afford the capacity, but hopefully with those two new rides in the vicinity it will finally happen.

I've always found it so odd that the one ride where everyone gets to have the fantasy of flying, unless you can't walk.

Neverland

That said, I have assisted in carrying someone onto Pan before. It's difficult and stressful for everyone involved. Interesting to hear it's not officially condoned.

Yeah, it's actually never supposed to be allowed, but CMs stretch the rules sometimes. Usually if the person is smaller (a person with a very small stature or a child, or something like that), it's more likely to be allowed. The reason you have to be able to walk and stand is because when they evac Pan, Reedy Creek does it, using ladders that guests climb down. It's very, very hard to climb down a tall, steep ladder while carrying someone. It's also very dangerous. The specific rule is that you must be able to walk and climb a ladder and maneuver through small passageways. This is also why service dogs can't ride; they can't climb ladders, and would therefore be stuck on the boat. Those not-very-disguised stairways you see in the ride are actually only used if there happens to be a boat stopped right at them. If your boat didn't have the good fortune to stop right next to a stairway, you climb down a ladder.

mp2bill

The current Skyway demolition is preparation for a new walking area to Liberty Square. This walking path will also include a restroom that would make the current restroom next to Peter Pan's Flight somewhat redundant. The thought is (I don't think this has been officially confirmed) that the Peter Pan area restroom would close and a new interactive queue would be designed for Peter Pan.

I think many of us on here are hoping for more than just an interactive queue and a significant refurbishment of the ride

Cool. That should open it up nicely. I always thought that the transition from Liberty Sqaure to Fantasyland was somewhat of a bottleneck.

Consider us lucky at WDW: In DL, every boat has to come to a complete stop to be loaded: No escalator-type continuous loading mechanism in place. As a result, the lines are ALWAYS long, and there's no FP. Then again, PPF is one of the original attractions at both parks, and clearly remain a favorite of many, many park visitors on both coasts.

Spike-in-Berlin

Exactly. No ride in FL has longer lines since they got rid of 20.000 LutS. Even during EMH the lines do not get much shorter before long after midnight.

RSoxNo1

Peter Pan puts through nearly twice as many guests in an hour as Winnie the Pooh. Mostly it's extreme popularity, numerous downtimes (there's no way to slow the boats down if someone has trouble getting in, like at Mansion or Nemo; they have to stop the ride quite often because of this), and large amounts of fastpass guests that make the line as long and slow-moving as it is.

There is no way this is accurate. Pooh has to have a higher capacity than Pan. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I had to guess it would be something like Pan at 900-100 and Pooh at 1100-1200

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom