People Waiting at WDW for Harry Potter?!

Wilt Dasney

Here's an article I found from Bloomberg detailing the acquisition. It states Disney will receive a licensing fee from Universal parks using Marvel characters in their rides, along with other financial incentives. Interestingly though, it says Disney may be prohibited from using Marvel characters at WDW, but not DL.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aU_kuPju0Ngo

Thanks for the link. I know that Universal has to pay Disney a licensing fee. What I'm curious about is whether that fee is set or varies based on the number of people who visit the park. All the stories I've found are pretty vague about that.

And you're right that Disney can't use any Marvel characters at WDW, but could do so at DL. That's a condition of Universal's original deal with Marvel giving them rights to the characters east of the Mississippi.

Another tidbit I came across earlier that I hadn't read on these boards: If Disney uses Marvel characters at DL and then promotes the tie-in via national advertising, Universal's deal with Marvel would require them to explicitly point out that the characters could only be seen at Disney parks west of the Mississippi.

They couldn't imply that Spider-Man is now at "Disney parks" like they love to do in their ads or put a backdrop of Cinderella Castle behind the Hulk, for example...the ads would have to make it clear that this is a California-only deal. That might help explain Disney's slow movement on using the characters out west.

Animaniac93-98

I find it funny that some people think TDO would actually be HAPPY they didn't get Potter... It's also funny that people think TDO isn't worried about the effect it might have.

Or that any one individual can shrug off the land in an effort to undermine a rabid fan base willing to cause 16 hour waits with accompanying media attention on "opening day".

I doubt anyone at either Disney or Universal management gives two bits about such an opinion. The crowds were there, everyone saw them and one person alone will never erase what happened on June 18.

Will that be the norm for the summer? No way, but the message of "this many people are willing to wait for this" was sent out.

For the year of 2010 (and 2011 realistically) Disney has nothing to respond with outside a parade from the 70s and the return of EO*. New fireworks too? Sure, but what tourist will know the difference between MMM and clips of fireworks on TV spots for WDW? Fireworks is fireworks to the uneducated. It's far more difficult to differentiate them than specific attractions or parades.

This year, Uni was the clear winner for new additions and media spotlight. Disney has lost. There's no way they can be happy or thrilled. Especially if their own guests (however stupid) and asking where they can see Harry Potter.

*Even if EO is a hit, people here will no doubt will blast all who enter the Magic Eye Theater for their total lack of morals.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Thanks for the link. I know that Universal has to pay Disney a licensing fee. What I'm curious about is whether that fee is set or varies based on the number of people who visit the park. All the stories I've found are pretty vague about that.

And you're right that Disney can't use any Marvel characters at WDW, but could do so at DL. That's a condition of Universal's original deal with Marvel giving them rights to the characters east of the Mississippi.

Another tidbit I came across earlier that I hadn't read on these boards: If Disney uses Marvel characters at DL and then promotes the tie-in via national advertising, Universal's deal with Marvel would require them to explicitly point out that the characters could only be seen at Disney parks west of the Mississippi.

They couldn't imply that Spider-Man is now at "Disney parks" like they love to do in their ads or put a backdrop of Cinderella Castle behind the Hulk, for example...the ads would have to make it clear that this is a California-only deal. That might help explain Disney's slow movement on using the characters out west.

From what else I've found the Orlando Sentinel of all sources) Disney "inherited" the theme park licensing contract Marvel had with Universal, which IMO sounds as if it is a set fee (I can't see Universal agreeing to some sort of annual attendance fee with them), along with the merchandising and licensing fees associated with the use of Marvel characters inside the park.

Wilt Dasney

Disney has lost. There's no way they can be happy or thrilled. Especially if their own guests (however stupid) and asking where they can see Harry Potter.
Do they still sell HP books in the ToT gift shop? Maybe their CM's can steer people that way. :lookaroun

(Heck, if people can't tell Disney from Uni, maybe they'll be convinced the ToT is Hogwarts.) :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think WDW would have a better time convincing the Twilight fans they need to visit ToT....

Roxas

The thing is, even if Disney don't get a share of the profits directly, they're still looking at massive increases in traffic anyway due to the number of Potter fans who are visiting central Florida, you can't honestly expect that people visiting especially will see IoA and nothing else. I'd bet a dime to a dollar that a good proportion of those visitors are staying on Disney premises and that a significant fraction of them were considering visiting the resorts anyway and just used HP opening as a reason to go this year rather than a few months ago. I can only wish Universal success to be honest as the only thing that Universal going out of business would accomplish would be total complacency on the behalf of Disney, (I know some of you guys think this is already te case, but we'd be looking at a whole 'nother level)

imagineer boy

I can't believe anyone would think HP is a fad. It is NOT a fad. Like someone else said, its the next star wars.

You want a fad? Check out Twilight.

Roxas

I can't believe anyone would think HP is a fad. It is NOT a fad. Like someone else said, its the next star wars.

You want a fad? Check out Twilight.

The Harry Potter book series turn 13 in 9 days time, generally a fad only lasts a few years at most, this is a series that will stand the test of time in a manner similar to the Narnia books. I say this simply because I grew up with these books, I turn 19 in a few months time and in 20 years or so when I may have children of my own I will ensure that they read these books, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

JohnLocke

The Harry Potter book series turn 13 in 9 days time, generally a fad only lasts a few years at most, this is a series that will stand the test of time in a manner similar to the Narnia books. I say this simply because I grew up with these books, I turn 19 in a few months time and in 20 years or so when I may have children of my own I will ensure that they read these books, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

I agree that the book series is certainly not a fad and should stand the test of time, but as I've said before, I can concede that the movie series may be forgotten or replaced in the future. They're definitely not great adaptations, though they're all pretty good, but they just don't come close to matching something like the Lord of the Rings as a series that may be watched for years to come. This really only affects FJ, but they could always attempt a change down the line.

Captain Chaos

So because something is a decent idea Universal shouldn't do it because Disney has done it?

As for extra magic hours 3 hotels worth of guests. I'm sure you can do the basic calculations. Or maybe not as you do come across as a bit of a stroker.

Ok, read what I said.. NO EXPRESS PASS FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE FORBIDDEN JOURNEY.... Where does that play into the park openin an hour earlier.. Disney does the same thing for people staying on property, but still gives fast passes for their most popular rides, and a few that don;t need fast pass... Universal created a ride that was going to have major demand WTHOUT express pass... That is what I said.. You brought up the whole entering the park 1 hour earlier as a response to me saying this was one of the failures on Universal's part.. I don't see where your post is a good response to mine, but then again, I am a stroker...

raven

Disney does what it does best and that is to cater to all ages and families.

This has been my arguement for years. You can't compare two parks when they cater to completely different needs.

Utter mince. Why are EE, TT, ToT, RnRC BTMRR etc all have the biggest waits. It amazes me (no not really) that so many will make excuses for Disney Worlds decline into mediocrity.

I guess then it's this "mediocrity" is what makes WDW the #1 vacation destination in the world.

Let's not forget why Universal moved to Orlando in the first place.

_Scar

It sucks that Universal's flagship park is in Orlando and yet Disney still insists on the flagship park being Disneyland.

I understand why it is, but it's unfortunate for WDW fans ):

And Universal's goal is also to attend to all ages, it's just IoA doesn't do it well lol

mrerk

Premium Member
Since everyone seems to be at TWWOHP, the Disney parks must be dead now, right? Everything is a walk-on now, right? Thought so. :rolleyes:

gmajew

It sucks that Universal's flagship park is in Orlando and yet Disney still insists on the flagship park being Disneyland.

I understand why it is, but it's unfortunate for WDW fans ):

And Universal's goal is also to attend to all ages, it's just IoA doesn't do it well lol

Why do people think Disneyland is the flagship park? Walt Disney world is the flagship. Four parks plus watt parks etc it is a resort detination. Just because dl is getting a ton of money ithe last decade odds not mean it is flagship. It needed the money bad it was not even close to some of the new disneylands in other countries.

People need to look at the money wow got the past twenty years and remember it takes a small country GDP to build what Disney has done.

misterID

No, DL is their flagship. There's no arguing that. It was the first park, it gets most everything first, besides a few exceptions. And before Eisner got total control, and the Euro DL mess, there was going to be an effort made to make DL even bigger with Westcot and such.

WDW almost acts as its own entity. Its far away from the main offices, unlike DL, and the guys who matter are much more concerned with DL. WDW just makes a lot of money. They obviously have no desire to keep WDW cutting edge.

Right now, anyway.

Rush2112

I honestly agree that Disney has timeless stories but it is ludicrous to say that Harry Potter doesn't have the same appeal, it's one of these rare book series that will live on long after you or I are dead.

_Scar

In fact it's so darn busy the media had to ignore the opening of HP to cover the massive success of the revised TTA spiel.

This is probably the best comment ever.

We got another year to milk that TTA spiel before we may see something new.

NOW APPROACHING: failure to compete

RobGraves

well, i was at uni today... on a monday... with some out of town friends...

The whole place was slammed... 45+ min waits for everything. Potter had a 7hr wait for the land at around 11, and a 2hr wait for the ride... went and did most of both parks and then hopped into Potter walking in...

waited 90min for FJ, sat in a paxked restraunt that we had to wait for seating in... and watched as the stores had lines to enter and children and families were buying lots of merchandise.... 90$ robes, 200$ brooms, Wands and all sorts of things... not to mention the lines at the butterbeer cart... no one was complaining about it, people were having fun... and Universal was making a LOT of money.

I will venture to say this... WWOHP makes money, within its first quarter. pays for itself, and makes money... while rising resort revenue and attendance.

And yes... the crowds will be like this for a while... and then its horror nights time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom