• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News People mover now reopened!

dreday3

I think the narration cadence and tone of People Mover is perfect for Tomorrowland. It reminds of the episodes from Tom and Jerry where they would talk about the "kitchen of the future" or the "car of the future" - very retro futuristic. Obviously they'd have to add a spiel about Tron.

Quoting myself! It was it's own cartoon - House of Tomorrow (I do think there was a car of tomorrow one also) by Tex Avery. I think it was on during the Tom and Jerry hour. This is exactly what I think of when riding People Mover and listening to narration.

Magicart87

〝𝘙𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘺-𝘖!〞
Premium Member
Quoting myself! It was it's own cartoon - House of Tomorrow (I do think there was a car of tomorrow one also) by Tex Avery. I think it was on during the Tom and Jerry hour. This is exactly what I think of when riding People Mover and listening to narration.

The voice actor was Frank Graham. His radio personality voice lent itself well to Tex Avery's infomercial-like "World of Tomorrow" cartoon satires. The streamlined appliances featured in the cartoon are also very "Tomorrowlandish" in appearance. Streamlining was the future! Similarities can definitely be made to Frank's voice and the Peoplemover narration. Funnily enough, even the "House of Tomorrow" cartoon somewhat resembles the Carousel of Progress or vice versa. Tex's Tomorrowland!? Here's hoping Peoplemover regains some of it's satire with an updated VO script and more scene vignettes. Looking Good Disney! Keep it going!

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wouldn’t have been disappointed with a new spiel that had an ounce of life and an iota of enthusiasm instead of the current lifeless talking map. This is the first iteration that I remember that’s as boring as stale, dry toast. Just saying.

*Goes to watch Martin’s WEDWay/TTA/Peoplemover video*

Cmdr_Crimson

And, since Peoplemovers haven't been built in a Disney park since the installation at Mgic Kingdom (1975) I would not expect them to be added (or replaced) at any Disney park.
The peoplemover at Houston's Airport is a WED based installation. That has to get updated since it's used constantly. The tech is still there so, there shouldn’t be a problem..

celluloid

It’s a sorry state of affairs where the words “smoother” and “cleaner” could be considered an “upgrade”

For the record 3 IPs were considered for inclusion for a 50th upgrade. Narration and show scene replacement. I’d be happy if that one remained cancelled.

Indeed. It is a sad state all around when Disney has to brag about taking a year to fix an attraction in a land of shuttered ones.

Tom Morrow

Glad it's back. I know it was wishful thinking but too bad they didn't replace this awful, awful, AWFUL spiel which has now been with us for over a decade.

I remember writing a huge rant about it when it first appeared. It's so low effort and "first draft". For an entire decade they have referred to Carousel of Progress as "four families." "It's 'out of this world!'" "Share the fun!"

Whoever wrote it and approved it was completely devoid of any creativity.

Cmdr_Crimson

Glad it's back. I know it was wishful thinking but too bad they didn't replace this awful, awful, AWFUL spiel which has now been with us for over a decade.

I remember writing a huge rant about it when it first appeared. It's so low effort and "first draft". For an entire decade they have referred to Carousel of Progress as "four families." "It's 'out of this world!'" "Share the fun!"

Whoever wrote it and approved it was completely devoid of any creativity.
The voice is Mike Brassell..He's also the narrator on Living With The Land and was the composer of the Space Mountain score we hear today..

dreday3

The voice actor was Frank Graham. His radio personality voice lent itself well to Tex Avery's infomercial-like "World of Tomorrow" cartoon satires. The streamlined appliances featured in the cartoon are also very "Tomorrowlandish" in appearance. Streamlining was the future! Similarities can definitely be made to Frank's voice and the Peoplemover narration. Funnily enough, even the "House of Tomorrow" cartoon somewhat resembles the Carousel of Progress or vice versa. Tex's Tomorrowland!? Here's hoping Peoplemover regains some of it's satire with an updated VO script and more scene vignettes. Looking Good Disney! Keep it going!

Thank you for the info!

ThatMouse

Since we're complaining, why is it so dark going thru Space Mountain? The outside looks so cool, and the queue is eh ok I guess, but People Mover is just nothing to see thru there multiplied by your constricted pupils. Not everyone can ride Space Mountain so it seems like a missed opportunity unless you happen to be in there when the lights are on.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
Since we're complaining, why is it so dark going thru Space Mountain? The outside looks so cool, and the queue is eh ok I guess, but People Mover is just nothing to see thru there multiplied by your constricted pupils. Not everyone can ride Space Mountain so it seems like a missed opportunity unless you happen to be in there when the lights are on.
Because they thought it was a good idea in 2009.

On a brighter note, speedramps are indeed working.

Cmdr_Crimson

This is why I kept hoping for projection mapping within the tunnels for something to look at.

Cmdr_Crimson

The voice is fine enough. I'm talking about the script, which he probably didn't write.
True but, his voice is as lackluster on LWTL..
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom