News People mover now reopened!

Mac Tonight

Was there at least an exciting proposal for what Tomorrowland would have become?

Or was this a "rip out the Peoplemover Track, Submarine Voyage, and Monorail Ramble in the name of building one new attraction" sort of situation?
As long as that one attraction wasn't Tron Lightcycles...

yensidtlaw1969

For the record, I have no hate for TRON as a property and have been dying to see it get an attraction since the sequel debuted - but the version built in Shanghai and now at the Magic Kingdom somehow feels like both the lamest version of a TRON ride and somehow also the most expensive version that Disney would ever build??

Given how TRON performed as a film, the biggest thing I would have ever expected was a Lightcycle reskin of the DL Peoplemover - which somehow seems way more appealing than a Big-Box Store warehouse with a cool-ish but non-TRON canopy and TRON Track running through it for ~59 seconds.

Mac Tonight

Were you there when I replaced Tron Lightcycles with "One New Attraction" in my post, or is it just that obvious that they would do that?
I'm not sure "where" I was, haha, but I distinctly remember it being discussed heavily on the DL boards that Tron was being considered for TL. I think it would be a mistake for Disneyland.

Mac Tonight

For the record, I have no hate for TRON as a property and have been dying to see it get an attraction since the sequel debuted - but the version built in Shanghai and now at the Magic Kingdom somehow feels like both the lamest version of a TRON ride and somehow also the most expensive version that Disney would ever build??

Given how TRON performed as a film, the biggest thing I would have ever expected was a Lightcycle reskin of the DL Peoplemover - which somehow seems way more appealing than a Big-Box Store warehouse with a cool-ish but non-TRON canopy and TRON Track running through it for ~59 seconds.
I'd accept the TRONcket Rods replacement for the PM... but don't want just another minute-long roller coaster in TL. That's not what it needs most IMO.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm not sure "where" I was, haha, but I distinctly remember it being discussed heavily on the DL boards that Tron was being considered for TL. I think it would be a mistake for Disneyland.
Agreed - Disney's existing TRON attraction would be a legendary mis-fit for Disneyland.

If they were willing to work from the ground up and reimagine how the property could be used appropriately for DL I'd be totally down. As the MK has shown, the TRON coaster is not a One-Size-Fits-All attraction, and Disneyland is FAR from a One-Size-Fits-All Park.

Mac Tonight

Agreed - Disney's existing TRON attraction would be a legendary mis-fit for Disneyland.

If they were willing to work from the ground up and reimagine how the property could be used appropriately for DL I'd be totally down. As the MK has shown, the TRON coaster is not a One-Size-Fits-All attraction, and Disneyland is FAR from a One-Size-Fits-All Park.
Legendary mis-fit is the right term. Though, sadly, I wouldn't put it past the Bob's.

GymLeaderPhil

Shame on those who are placing the blame on people being irresponsible, not remaining seated, or being a “snowflake.” For what? So you can ride an attraction that is demonstratively not as safe as it can be?

Disney is primarily at fault for not investing in maintaining and updating this attraction to modern ride standards. Do people sometimes stand up or move in the vehicles - yes. Does it happen often - no.

The ride was NOT designed for the vehicles to collide into one another outside of the station. The bumpers are only there to prevent wear and tear contact at those slow speeds when loading/unloading, as well as when they are manually moved into storage.

If a car going roughly 7 mph drove into your stationary vehicle at a stop light, you’re going to feel it. You are going to move forward.

Unlike a car, the open air vehicle compartment of the PeopleMover has a mix of heavy plastic and very light padding. There are no seatbelts. When another vehicle hits you from behind you’re possibly falling into the seat in front. God forbid you have a child or infant in your lap. Or someone who is older, frail, or has limited mobility. Yes, I know you must be ambulatory to experience the ride. Guess what? Those Give Kids The World/Make A Wish people are commonly carried up by a loved one.

Additionally, it’s not feasible to add restraints to this ride without a complete reworking of not only the vehicles, but also the station itself. People have a hard enough time getting on and off as it is - add in a restraint system and you’re just inviting the ride to stop more frequently causing the vehicles to collide into each other.

And don’t get me started on how dangerous the speedramps can be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom