People are so ignorant...

Halfling418

I know, right?

Oh, random thought. This isn't about WDW, but rather a character.

Ahem, Clopin, from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, is the self-proclaimed King of the Gypsies(and one of my fave characters of all time) ....he...is...not....a....jester! He takes it as a personal insult when someone calls him that.

Hehe, just kidding, I'm really not that crazy. But it is true. :p

celticdog

Halfling418 said:
ahem, ok some of what I've heard..
the parks:

--"Mission to Mars" aka Mission Space

I can let this one slide, since there used to be a legitamate ride called "Mission to Mars".

But what does rub me wrong is when the average tourist believes that MK is the only theme park at WDW. And here's a big one: "Disney, that's for kids". Only if they knew.

I got one. Talking on the phone tonight with my mom. Chatting away while we both searched the internet for plane schedules and rates to and from Orlando (MCO) airport.

And then my Mom frantically telling me she can't locate Disney Airport in any of her searches. I politly reminded her that it's Orlando (MCO) airport not Disney Airport. (Gosh, she's flown in and out of several times -- at least if she didn't know the code was MCO, she should at least know that it's NOT Disney Airport!).

10 minutes later, she went to another web site and started freaking out (again) because the allusive Disney Airport could not be found.

Laura

Premium Member
My most recent "Disney dumb" moment was on my last trip. The lady ahead of me in line at Mouse Gear was asking the woman behind the cash register all these questions about "do they sell this at Universal? Do they sell that at Universal?" and the Cast Member kept saying, "I don't know what they sell at Universal" and the lady eventually got irritated with the CM and left. I'm assuming she thought Universal Studios was part of Disney and couldn't figure out why the Disney CM didn't know everything about it!

Halfling418

celticdog said:
I can let this one slide, since there used to be a legitamate ride called "Mission to Mars".

I don't know about a ride, but it was a movie. Not a very good movie, but a movie nonetheless. :)

And yeah, I don't get steamed about that one--I just had to put it up. Actually, my mom says it all the time!

DisneyGal126

DizkneeBoi said:
Today in one of my classes the professor was telling a story about how he is obsessed with planning. Well he was telling about how he planned like crazy for a trip to Disney World and he was all like "well the first ride we went on was Spiderman." I wanted to literally yell out "That's at Universal you fool!" haha Has anyone else had one of these moments where you wanted to correct someone about Disney but kept your mouth shut?

ALL THE TIME! I had a professor say something about the animated movie Anistasia (sp?) and she made the comment "but Disney has a way of sugar coating history" and I wanted to yell "THAT WASN"T A DISNEY MOVIE!!"

:)

Jamie

celticdog

Halfling418 said:
I don't know about a ride, but it was a movie. Not a very good movie, but a movie nonetheless. :)

And yeah, I don't get steamed about that one--I just had to put it up. Actually, my mom says it all the time!

At Disneyland the ride started out as "Mission to the Moon", but after the moon landing it became a bit redundant and the was changed to "Mission to Mars". At WDW, "Mission to Mars" was turned into AE which became SGE.

Halfling418

Yeah! As I posted earlier, one of the movies that people confuse with Disney is Anastasia--which is Fox.

My history teacher said the exact same thing.

I personally think that it's an amazing movie, with great songs.

But yes, it isn't Disney. Everyone likes to blame things on Disney.

Anyways, I wouldn't call it "distorting history". As in movies like Pocahontas and Mulan, they were basing the movie off the legend, not straight historical fact. Legends constantly are twisted and changed. I never, even when I was a child, thought the story of Pocahontas went like it did in the movie. That's what school was for. The movie is about entertainment, art, and the themes and lessons you retain, not to mention the magic.

TheOneVader

Wow, I always though Prince of Egypt, Anastasia, and Road to El Dorado were Disney movies... But I have an excuse: I can't even remember the last time I saw Prince or Ana, and El Dorado I've never seen.

Brooke

I once was at Universal and this group in front of me was yelling because they couldn't use their Disney pass to get into Universal Studios. Sigh...

I've also seen a bunch of people who think that they can use their Disney resort room key to get into the theme parks.

I also see people trying to use Fastpasses that say "THIS IS NOT A VALID FASTPASS" in the Fastpass line. Then they get mad at the CM when they explain to them that it isn't valid. I've noticed people that get a Fastpass and then think that it's automatically valid and they don't realize that they have to come back at their designated time.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to Epcot I constantly hear people calling Test Track "Fast Track."

I've heard people saying, "Yeah, Maelstrom is just like the Matterhorn at Disneyland!"

I've heard parents telling their kids that you stand up during Tower of Terror. "It's an elevator, duh!" I've also encountered people who think Tower of Terror is based on a true story?

And I've seen a group getting out of line at the Great Movie Ride because they thought the room with the movie trailers was the whole attraction!

Oh, and a couple days ago while waiting for the monorail I heard this guy tell his friends that Alien Encounter was better than Stitch because "the theater spun around!" Um, what? And then he was talking about how the Haunted Mansion ride was "just like the Great Movie Ride." Okay... =/

waltdisny

Pumbas Nakasak said:
The Prof can be forgiven, hes probably just confused by the fact that Universal has better attractions than Disney.
Oh man! Game over! You just opened a whole can! That's the sound of the Grizz sharpening his Ginsu Claws!

Captain Hank

Brooke said:
I've also seen a bunch of people who think that they can use their Disney resort room key to get into the theme parks.
Actually, that one's forgivable because some room keys work that way if you purchase the ticket at time of check-in or if you have a package with the Ultimate Park Hopper. At least, it used to work that way, not sure about now. All of the others, however...:brick:

nmj91385

I was at a friends house when a mutual friend stopped by with his 10 year old son. They said they were going to florida soon and i asked how many days they were going to do at disney, a reasonable question I thought. The little boy informed they weren't going to disney because disney sucked. I was about ready to kick his little butt. I was astounded. What do you say to that. My friend informed him that if he had never been there he couldn't make that statement. Once they were gone she informed me that he got his ignorance from his parents. I couldn't believe that. I about died having to type those awful words!

Disney_Belle

The other day at church, In the sunday school class I teach (of preschoolers) one of the mothers was telling me that they were going to florida. and I said how many days will you be there are you going to WDW yadda yadda ....

first she replies..
"We are just going to Disney World and Sea World"

Ok. So I asked her which disney parks she was going to

"Just Disney World"

"But which park in Disney World"

"Disney World... oh and Wild Kingdom" :brick: :brick: :brick:

I didn't want to correct her and be rude, luckily her friend who is also going said "You mean Magic Kindgom and Animal Kingdom?"

But the worst is definitely when people confuse Mickey and Minnie Mouse.

ditzeechick02

The thing that annoys me the most is when people say "I'm going to Disney World" and then I'm gonna go to MGM Studios, and Epcot as well. DUH!! They swear like the Magic Kingdom is only DISNEY nothing else is... It just makes me cringe when they say this nonsense. :fork:

Disney_dude

Account Suspended
DizkneeBoi said:
Has anyone else had one of these moments where you wanted to correct someone about Disney but kept your mouth shut?

Nope. I always open my mouth and tell them their mistake. I also point out when people talk about Walt Disney World in California or Disneyland in Florida.

Disney_dude

Account Suspended
Halfling418 said:
and movies people think are Disney:
--Anastasia
--The Road to El Dorado
--Antz
--Spirit
--Robots
--The Prince of Egypt
--Ferngully
--The Land Before Time
--Sinbad
*while I love a few of these movies, they aren't Disney*
Shrek 1&2
Shark Tale
Spong Bob (belive it or not)

Halfling418 said:
and movies people refuse to believe are Disney:
--Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and many other Touchtone--hello! Touchtone is Disney!
--some people still don't know Pirates is Disney...
--The Nightmare Before Christmas

King Arthur
Ladder 49

Along with Touchstone ther is also BV and now Fox.

Tim G

DizkneeBoi said:
Today in one of my classes the professor was telling a story about how he is obsessed with planning. Well he was telling about how he planned like crazy for a trip to Disney World and he was all like "well the first ride we went on was Spiderman." I wanted to literally yell out "That's at Universal you fool!" haha Has anyone else had one of these moments where you wanted to correct someone about Disney but kept your mouth shut?
I really don't understand the issue...
That person was having FUN at the time he was in Orlando...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom