News Peak season crowds have arrived

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Bruh, the crowds certainly can make them unmagical and my price increase suggestion is the only way to reduce those crowds in the short/medium term. I didn't say I liked it, but it's the only way.

If you don't like the Disney Parks today, that's another discussion...but they ARE too crowded.

Price increase is not the only way to reduce crowding,

1- implement phase close at a lot lower level

2- limit daily ticket sales

Neither will happen because It wouls reduce daily revenue

Chef Mickey

I’m a realist. They aren’t going to take a hit on their top line. I’m willing to pay more so they can keep that revenue stream constant.

Of course you can artificially close the parks earlier, but that won’t happen. Even my scenario is unlikely because you lose out on other sales with fewer people, but I’m willing to pay say 2X to reduce the crowd by 1/3.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
tyytttyttttttfqq
I’m a realist. They aren’t going to take a hit on their top line. I’m willing to pay more so they can keep that revenue stream constant.

Of course you can artificially close the parks earlier, but that won’t happen. Even my scenario is unlikely because you lose out on other sales with fewer people, but I’m willing to pay say 2X to reduce the crowd by 1/3.

Another way is to end discounted multiday tickets. So a 5 day ticket is 5x the price of 1 day ticket

John park hopper

IMO you no matter how high Disney increases the ticket prices, resort fees , upcharges, food etc. it won't stop the crowds. In todays credit card society many people have very little concept of cash money. They will just charge it and worry about paying for it down the road (if they would worry about it at all) Kind of like the government (national debt) borrow now pay for it may be. That's how I see it

seascape

Implementating phased closings discriminates against those who can't afford to stay on property. If that is your proposed solution why not just limit park attendance to those staying on site and season passholders?

Po'Rich

Implementating phased closings discriminates against those who can't afford to stay on property. If that is your proposed solution why not just limit park attendance to those staying on site and season passholders?
This is another possible solution other than the must touted (and inaccurate) claim that the only way to control crowds is to raise ticket prices. Arguably this option could reduce crowds and increase revenue by resulting in more $ spent on property.

John park hopper

Po'Rich I agree. With all the DVC and resort construction going on and more I am sure in the future; IMO I see in the future parks will be only available to on site guests and those holding select APs. Serves two puposes reduces crowds and guests will be more likely not to travel off site -- captive audience --spend more at Disney

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

And yet phased closings do happen despite the discrimination a few days in the year.

The nuclear option is selling a limited number of tickets for specific days. It will cap attendance to a manageable level and people will be guaranteed to get in if they have a ticket for that day.

It also means planning your MK days way in advance and no winging it. It also means that AP and park-hoppers will be the ones to be discriminated against if the MK is too full.

twebber55

Just got beaten to it but Avatar only sold well because it was the first big 3D movie to come and people wanted to go and see this new technology regardless of what the movie actually was. Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland came out around the same time and made a ton of money despite being dire.
when i see this reply i always ask
if it were only the 3D why is it the highest selling DVD/blue ray of all time in terms of consumer spending
https://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart
but i know this argument is tiresome and old LOL so ill move along

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And yet phased closings do happen despite the discrimination a few days in the year.

The nuclear option is selling a limited number of tickets for specific days. It will cap attendance to a manageable level and people will be guaranteed to get in if they have a ticket for that day.

It also means planning your MK days way in advance and no winging it. It also means that AP and park-hoppers will be the ones to be discriminated against if the MK is too full.

My personal favorite is capping ticket sales its the fairest solution of all and would also assure those with a ticket for that day a good experience.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
IMO you no matter how high Disney increases the ticket prices, resort fees , upcharges, food etc. it won't stop the crowds. In todays credit card society many people have very little concept of cash money. They will just charge it and worry about paying for it down the road (if they would worry about it at all) Kind of like the government (national debt) borrow now pay for it may be. That's how I see it
OK, then. $125 per person, per day, CASH at the gate.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What makes you think that's not coming sometime down the line. IOW, why else would they be building so many DVC resorts???

UncleMike101

What makes you think that's not coming sometime down the line. IOW, why else would they be building so many DVC resorts???
IMO
Disney has entered a new phase of uber greed.
The top dogs could care less how crowded the parks are as long as the cattle, people, in those parks paid to get in and buy the high priced food and Mickey ears.
More people equals more income and if those people are miserable, tough excrement.

disneyflush

They could also do the opposite of phased closings and do phased openings where entrance times are staggered throughout the morning/day. Entry between 9 and 10 is $129/day. Between 12-1 is $99/day. After 3 PM is $79/day. Not sure on the correct pricing points but would help to disperse the crowds a bit and possibly keep resort guests at the pool a while longer in the morning without rushing to park opening.

Nubs70

This is "Island Theory"

Build additional resort capacity at a fixed ratio to total attraction throughput then require onsite stay for park entrance. More guests would require more rooms and additional rides.

How many resorts in the Caribbean allow local beach access on a day pass?

Chef Mickey

This is another possible solution other than the must touted (and inaccurate) claim that the only way to control crowds is to raise ticket prices. Arguably this option could reduce crowds and increase revenue by resulting in more $ spent on property.
No one said it's the "only" way as if there aren't artificial measures to decrease crowd levels. You could also simply close all the parks after 10,000 guests. They just aren't going to do the other things because it reduces revenue.

There is a price they could charge each guest that would keep their revenue constant and reduce crowds. I'm ready to pay that.

Chef Mickey

My personal favorite is capping ticket sales its the fairest solution of all and would also assure those with a ticket for that day a good experience.
Gotta increase prices to cap ticket sales in a meaningful way. They are NOT going to reduce their income. That ship has sailed.

Parks and Resorts are Disney's only "good" business according to Wallstreet at the moment. They are all technically good, but not showing growth like P&R.

BTW....Disney should have increased capacity at WDW every single year instead of milking it and they wouldn't be here. It would be paying huge dividends now. Even with the projects in place, way more hotel capacity and park space is needed. More attractions, more hotels, more everything really.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No one said it's the "only" way as if there aren't artificial measures to decrease crowd levels. You could also simply close all the parks after 10,000 guests. They just aren't going to do the other things because it reduces revenue.

There is a price they could charge each guest that would keep their revenue constant and reduce crowds. I'm ready to pay that.
Somewhere in ABC/Disney, there's an excel-derived chart on somebody's desktop that shows their exact projection of how often they think they can raise prices and how much people will be willing to pay, and where those two lines cross is where we'll eventually see prices for parks and hotels stabilize.

We are not there yet.

Chef Mickey

Somewhere in ABC/Disney, there's an excel-derived chart on somebody's desktop that shows their exact projection of how often they think they can raise prices and how much people will be willing to pay, and where those two lines cross is where we'll eventually see prices for parks and hotels stabilize.

We are not there yet.
We aren't even close. And by the way, there is a price crowds would be significantly reduced. I just don't think people want to actually see what that price is in reality. I'm thinking $200/day park tickets might start to have an impact.

Disney has armies of people whose entire job is looking at pricing. They know exactly what they are doing. Unfortunately, it's ruining the experience and that effect takes longer to see and react to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom