News Peak season crowds have arrived

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm constantly impressed at how well Terminator 2 and Aliens have held up over the years. While Cameron might not be one of the best directors in the world, he is more of a rennaisance man than most. It's always impressed me how much of his own concept art he draws himself.

jimart23.jpg

His movies might not be high art, but he's certainly responsible for a lot of the artistry that goes into them, more than many in his field.

Movies dont need to be high art, they need to entertain which most of Cameron's movies do.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Man, I don't know...

Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, True Lies...those are all pretty good movies.

However, I don't think his full list of credits (Piranha II and Point Break included) changes the fact that "Titanic is not good" is being used as a talking point when it won Best Picture. Seems disingenuous at best, albeit par for the course considering the source.

I think he’s an excellent director...true lies is the best of that bunch IMHO...great movie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been there for lunch and for dinner. My party enjoyed both immensely. Also it in no way looks like a cafeteria. I think the themeing is top notch.

Take a look at:
1. The cavernous dining rooms
2. The high school issue institutional floors
3. The beverage/bus area tucked in plain view taking up an entire side of the main chamber

That’s a cafeteria, folks...we got a river in Egypt going here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why are you already assuming it won't be exceptional?

I am a big Toy Story fan but I've never had any expectations more than something new and a nice area to walk around. With the attractions they put there, you have to manage expectations.

You didn’t read...I’m pointing out potential problems...we don’t know how well they will turn out.

We do know they aren’t building enough toy story capacity. A family coasts doesn’t move people in and out fast enough...and have you ever been on maters at DCA? Tooooo slowwwww....and they’re building a clone.

I think the theming of Star Wars land will be good...though the copped out and didn’t pick a beloved theme...but my guess the attractions aren’t gonna be good enough. We shall see.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Take a look at:
1. The cavernous dining rooms
2. The high school issue institutional floors
3. The beverage/bus area tucked in plain view taking up an entire side of the main chamber

That’s a cafeteria, folks...we got a river in Egypt going here.
Well, what is a "ballroom" but a flexible space suitable for large dances or feeding lots of people simultaneously?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
:hilarious:

Anyway, a lot of restaurants are simply themed/decorated cafeterias. Loud, noisy and not a lot of fun.

Of course...out of necessity. What got me to chirp on this was the contention - and it’s right - that people go on boards and there’s ridiculous, effusive praise for it. Everybody has an opinion...some however are wrong.

It’s what I call the “mine train effect”...things are what they are without extra air in the tires. That’s ok.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One could almost surmise they have ... "an agenda" ...

Maybe they're trying to discourage people from going so they'll have a less hectic experience....? Hmmmm?

...nah...I don’t honestly care about the day to day crowds that much...just the failure of the stock ticker and sun valley Bob to even attempt to properly manage it for the future.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The issue with HS now is a general lack of things to do, but I think the expansion is just going to make it worse given that it doesn't sound like they're adding much capacity. So it's just going to mobbed with a bunch of extra people with not enough rides to go around. I don't know when I'll ever feel the need to go there again.
My understanding is that the big 3 (Mickey, Bird, and Alcatraz) actually all have decent capacity #s. It's just the influx of people who want to go to "Star Wars Land" that's going to completely overwhelm any additional capacity that they are adding.

sroh

We were at WDW from 2/4-2/10 and it was really busy on the days we went to MK. We did two days in MK (specifically Wed 2/7 and Fri 2/9) and it was busy busy busy. This was a first trip for everyone (6 of us total between my family of three and my sisters family of three), so my husband and I saved and splurged on a VIP tour on 2/9 and I'm glad we did as we would have only gotten through our FP rides plus maybe 1-2 more without it (side note: the VIP tour was great and Disney really pulls out all the stops here).

Looking at the wait times on the standby lines as we walked around literally everything was an hour plus, with the mountains, mine train, etc being 2-3+ hours. While planning, the internet led me to believe that early February before Presidents day was a low to moderate crowd level and we checked touring plans every morning to see what the crowd levels actually were the day before and they were much higher than they anticipated every day.

We had a good time but as first time visitors it definitely didn't make us want to go back again anytime soon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We were at WDW from 2/4-2/10 and it was really busy on the days we went to MK. We did two days in MK (specifically Wed 2/7 and Fri 2/9) and it was busy busy busy. This was a first trip for everyone (6 of us total between my family of three and my sisters family of three), so my husband and I saved and splurged on a VIP tour on 2/9 and I'm glad we did as we would have only gotten through our FP rides plus maybe 1-2 more without it (side note: the VIP tour was great and Disney really pulls out all the stops here).

Looking at the wait times on the standby lines as we walked around literally everything was an hour plus, with the mountains, mine train, etc being 2-3+ hours. While planning, the internet led me to believe that early February before Presidents day was a low to moderate crowd level and we checked touring plans every morning to see what the crowd levels actually were the day before and they were much higher than they anticipated every day.

We had a good time but as first time visitors it definitely didn't make us want to go back again anytime soon.

You know...I was looking at the VIP thing just last week - functional fastpass in layman’s terms - and I was laughing.

It’s a great option...but it’s also a minimum $1875. Yikes...what’s shocking is not the current price - but where the price has gone. Not too long ago it was like $75 an hour.

It’s just example of the overall pricing model and how “Buy Buy Buy” is driving things at an unsustainable pace.

But it works...so I’ll just accept my C- and go away. 🤓

21stamps

You know...I was looking at the VIP thing just last week - functional fastpass in layman’s terms - and I was laughing.

It’s a great option...but it’s also a minimum $1875. Yikes...what’s shocking is not the current price - but where the price has gone. Not too long ago it was like $75 an hour.

It’s just example of the overall pricing model and how “Buy Buy Buy” is driving things at an unsustainable pace.

But it works...so I’ll just accept my C- and go away. 🤓

When was it $75 per hour? Definitely not in the last 5 years.
Btw, it’s a lot more than $1875

You have to realize why things are priced how they are., IF it was currently $75 per hour, it would be almost impossible to book. Demand, Convenience, Perceived Value, Pricing. They’re all related.

sroh

Eh, the money wasn't a concern for us and it was a great experience (and the day we went had the cheapest rates they currently offer on the tour). I am not a "stuff" person in my life, I'd rather spend my money on experiences, so it fit the bill for us. But, yes, I agree it does play well into Disney's "buy more and more and more" strategy.

But yeah, we are only probably one time visitors after the experiences we had the rest of the days in the parks, so the splurge was worth it to us.

21stamps

Eh, the money wasn't a concern for us and it was a great experience (and the day we went had the cheapest rates they currently offer on the tour). I am not a "stuff" person in my life, I'd rather spend my money on experiences, so it fit the bill for us. But, yes, I agree it does play well into Disney's "buy more and more and more" strategy.

But yeah, we are only probably one time visitors after the experiences we had the rest of the days in the parks, so the splurge was worth it to us.
I’m sure it was an amazing thing to experience once!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When was it $75 per hour? Definitely not in the last 5 years.
Btw, it’s a lot more than $1875

You have to realize why things are priced how they are., IF it was currently $75 per hour, it would be almost impossible to book. Demand, Convenience, Perceived Value, Pricing. They’re all related.

Not 5 years...more like 10. But that was disney/Eisner era pricing still for the most part so it was - you know - somewhat reasonable?

It was during the escalation...not to this level yet.

Oh I get it would be mobbed now. I don’t really begrudge their price...it’s just a little sticker shock...and little shocks me. My fault.

But it’s always the same...it wouldn’t be so expensive or needed if they hadn’t sat on their hands and changed the experience with inaction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom