News Peak season crowds have arrived

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But it is...it has no following and competed against nothing.

Putrid Star Wars movies make a billion as well...for the exact opposite reason.

Strange world.

It competed against the filmmaking technology of the day, And it broke new ground from a filmmaking point of view, it was a bloody awful movie though.

disneygeek90

But it is...it has no following and competed against nothing.

Putrid Star Wars movies make a billion as well...for the exact opposite reason.

Strange world.
Yet, it's a highly aesthetically pleasing land with immersion and intrigue of traveling to an alien planet that is familiar yet very different from earth. It doesn't matter if no one thinks about the movies. It stands on it's own and has FoP to back it up.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But I thought Disney didn't have any slow times anymore?

Not this again. It's about capacity *and* utilization.

Take Mickey. The ride will have a higher poh throughout than GMR. Plus it will likely be more popular (I've been on GMR many times with empty seats). As much as I love GMR, that's a net gain, although not as much as if they had built it net new.
Take Star Wars. It is replacing Backlot tour and LMA. Two attractions that were also very underutilized. So again, probably a net gain there too. Part of proper park planning is building new, of course, but also seeing what isn't drawing crowds and helping with the overall capacity, and either fixing or replacing those things so they do draw.

The problem is that the SW attractions have nowhere near the capacity/throughput of EITHER LMA or Backlot tour and will have much greater demand.

AndyS2992

It still kinda blows my mind that we refer to the highest-grossing film of all time as a "lackluster IP".
Just got beaten to it but Avatar only sold well because it was the first big 3D movie to come and people wanted to go and see this new technology regardless of what the movie actually was. Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland came out around the same time and made a ton of money despite being dire.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It competed against the filmmaking technology of the day, And it broke new ground from a filmmaking point of view, it was a bloody awful movie though.

Granted...excellent posts, by the way...even though people on here say nothing you say is valid because you’re a troll that hates rainbows, unicorns, and puppies..

My point was it had a 4 month box office competition void rarely seen.

Cameron is Lucky that way...anyone remember what the primary movie against titanic was?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just got beaten to it but avatar only sold well because it was the first big 3D movie to come and people wanted to go and see this new technology regardless of what the movie actually was. Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland came out around the same time and made a ton of money despite being dire.

I rather liked Tim Burton's Alice, Remember Lewis Carroll was a opium user so I think Tim Burton's version might have been a lot closer to what he wanted to write but was bounded by Victorian sensibilities.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Granted...excellent posts, by the way...even though people on here say nothing you say is valid because you’re a troll that hates rainbows, unicorns, and puppies..

Cameron is Lucky that way...anyone remember what the primary movie against titanic was?

How can anyone here not like Unicorns, Rainbows and Puppies (until they chew the furniture) It is a board about theme parks after all.

In reality I hate Corporate Codswallop and those who shill for a corporate narrative which Disney has been putting out in abundance since Iger took the reins.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How can anyone here not like Unicorns, Rainbows and Puppies (until they chew the furniture) It is a board about theme parks after all.

In reality I hate Corporate Codswallop and those who shill for a corporate narrative which Disney has been putting out in abundance since Iger took the reins.

My stance is that you don’t have to hate disney at all...but you do have to call obvious BS

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Nope, Titanic not a great movie but it was the first with photorealistic CGI, The CGI recreation of the Titanic was absolutely amazing given the computer technology of the time.

Cameron's is the rare filmmaker who contributions to the technical state of the art outweigh his creative output, Lucas is another because of his groundbreaking SFX in Star Wars today they are 'old hat' but they changed the industry forever.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My stance is that you don’t have to hate disney at all...but you do have to call obvious BS

I don't hate Disney, I hate the way it's being run into the ground the first real financial headwind that Disney hits as it's being run today will blow it away. One would have thought the huge stock drop a couple of years back which was larger than it's peers in the media sector would have been a warning sign.

jakeman

I feel as though we are supposed to believe James Cameron is a better director than he is.

Kinda like how Be Our Guest is amazing because Disney said so.
Man, I don't know...

Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens, True Lies...those are all pretty good movies.

However, I don't think his full list of credits (Piranha II and Point Break included) changes the fact that "Titanic is not good" is being used as a talking point when it won Best Picture. Seems disingenuous at best, albeit par for the course considering the source.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
At least with Wishes/ Celebrate the Magic combo, crowds were often happy to enjoy Wishes from other areas of the park. Now that it's all one big show with stringent sightlines, everyone feels compelled to bumrush the hub every single evening.

which is why they need 2 showings most nights - another helpful thing would be to bring the night shows at the other parks up to the same caliber

trainplane3

I feel as though we are supposed to believe James Cameron is a better director than he is.

Kinda like how Be Our Guest is amazing because Disney said so.
What's the deal with the place anyways? I swear I hear "It's amazing" as much as I hear "It's not worth it". Do they keep changing menus? I'll be trying it for the first time this fall actually.

Weather_Lady

What's the deal with the place anyways? I swear I hear "It's amazing" as much as I hear "It's not worth it". Do they keep changing menus? I'll be trying it for the first time this fall actually.

Maybe the differing reviews pertain to different meals (CS breakfast, CS lunch, TS dinner). Breakfast is often derided as a very poor value for what you get. I can say that in my experience of 3 lunches there (spread over 5 years), the speed of service and quality of the food went down a bit each time, so that we went from raving about the place to no longer caring to have lunch there. Most of the dinner reviews I've read, however, have been very positive (although the menu will undergo a significant change starting this summer, going from a la carte to a prix fixe experience, so the jury's out on that).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom