Patty Jenkins' 'Rogue Squadron' coming December 2023

Screamface

A lot of studios could learn from stuff like Maverick or Cobra Kai. Nostalgia and fan service can be great things when done correctly. Respect the material that came before, don't insult your most dedicated fans, and you'll be good. It really doesn't seem like too hard of a concept to get.

Cobra Kai is a great example because it embraces the Karate Kid sequels which weren't very good. One of the biggest detriments to the sequels has been ignoring the prequels.

I still can't get over how they got people who didn't love Star Wars on a deep level to make the sequels. With mandates to purposely ignore half the Star Wars films that came before.

For some reason there seems to be an aversion to this with the current politics in Hollywood. Where getting someone who doesn't know something will apparently make a fresh new take. As if someone who loves and knows something is incapable of that.

I think many drank the cool aid on the farce of toxic fans. The notion of being fans, knowing and thinking about the details is somehow bad. Yet that is needed for realistic world building and stories.

I thought the Wheel of Time series started decent and went a bit meh. So I decided to read the books. It is astonishing. I don't think the people who made the series actually read the books. They certainly didn't read / skim beyond the first one. As so many of the pointless changes and additions in season 1 would or could not have been made if they knew the stories of the later novels. There clearly was a level of sheer incompetance or a desire to not actually adopt the novels and just do something different loosely based on it.

How does this keep happening? It's like the Rings of Power. I don't think the people writing it, fundamentally understand the material. They certainly don't grasp concepts such as Gladrial being thousands of years old and that should factor into her characterisation.

Book of Boba Fett, didn't understand why Boba Fett was a liked character.

Kenobi was not made by Star Wars fans. It was so incompetent, to a level where I don't think anyone at Lucasfilm in positions of powers even really knows or likes Star Wars. From what I gather, KK's approach is let the talent do whatever they want. Hope they're talented enough to pull it off. Yet she keeps hiring the wrong people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cobra Kai is a great example because it embraces the Karate Kid sequels which weren't very good. One of the biggest detriments to the sequels has been ignoring the prequels.

I still can't get over how they got people who didn't love Star Wars on a deep level to make the sequels. With mandates to purposely ignore half the Star Wars films that came before.

For some reason there seems to be an aversion to this with the current politics in Hollywood. Where getting someone who doesn't know something will apparently make a fresh new take. As if someone who loves and knows something is incapable of that.

I think many drank the cool aid on the farce of toxic fans. The notion of being fans, knowing and thinking about the details is somehow bad. Yet that is needed for realistic world building and stories.

I thought the Wheel of Time series started decent and went a bit meh. So I decided to read the books. It is astonishing. I don't think the people who made the series actually read the books. They certainly didn't read / skim beyond the first one. As so many of the pointless changes and additions in season 1 would or could not have been made if they knew the stories of the later novels. There clearly was a level of sheer incompetance or a desire to not actually adopt the novels and just do something different loosely based on it.

How does this keep happening? It's like the Rings of Power. I don't think the people writing it, fundamentally understand the material. They certainly don't grasp concepts such as Gladrial being thousands of years old and that should factor into her characterisation.

Book of Boba Fett, didn't understand why Boba Fett was a liked character.

Kenobi was not made by Star Wars fans. It was so incompetent, to a level where I don't think anyone at Lucasfilm in positions of powers even really knows or likes Star Wars. From what I gather, KK's approach is let the talent do whatever they want. Hope they're talented enough to pull it off. Yet she keeps hiring the wrong people.
Episode 7…not the one that we got, but the concept of a sequel…was the most widely, highly desired movie in Hollywood history.

“Come at me, bro…” if anyone wants to debate that. Every kid - and a lot of adults for 35 years of reruns had that curiosity in their head.

And they did a reboot. I came out really trying to ignore that…just as I tried to ignore TPM was hot garbage in the middle of the night in 1999…but there is no getting around a mistake like that.

Disney thought it “did good”…it read it wrong. $2 billion wasn’t for the quality…it was at least half (my guess…but a solid/defensible one) of that due to “event” movie and its billing of “correcting” the prequels.
Misread…completely…by Bob.

They built lands off that and a bust (largely because those movies are so horrendous)

That’s how this all tracked. Again…my opinion, but shoot it down, please?

Ironically…what actually filled that “void” that was always there for a Star Wars sequel? We keep mentioning. Still top 5 until last week.

And it’s not “amazing”…it just didn’t suck.

Ep 7 actually sucks. Not to mention the level 1 hazmat spills that follow it. History is always right in its judgement if you pay attention to it.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

"Rogue Squadron" would be an opportunity to tell another facet of the Star Wars story not focused on the Jedi. If it's a Star Wars version of Top Gun that would not be a bad thing. Wedge evolving and becoming a fighter ace as part of the Rebellion would be a welcome different variation to the Star Wars story. The unenlightened, unimaginative, self-absorbed, arrogant, noncreative Disney executives that believe they know what the public wants have made a mess of things.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Rogue Squadron" would be an opportunity to tell another facet of the Star Wars story not focused on the Jedi. If it's a Star Wars version of Top Gun that would not be a bad thing. Wedge evolving and becoming a fighter ace as part of the Rebellion would be a welcome different variation to the Star Wars story. The unenlightened, unimaginative, self-absorbed, arrogant, noncreative Disney executives that believe they know what the public wants have made a mess of things.
I think they wrecked the train, it rolled down the ravine, and then the hazardous chemicals it was carrying exploded.

And yet…still…it makes money. The most resilient thing ever in Hollywood…maybe more so than ever mouse that owns it?

erasure fan1

Disney had an opportunity to embrace the prequels and like cobra kai did for it's 2 less favorable films, maybe enhance them. Unfortunately they basically pretended they didn't exist. It's amazing why you wouldn't just embrace everything. It was millions and millions of fans to market to. All who LOVED to spend money on star wars.
I still can't get over how they got people who didn't love Star Wars on a deep level to make the sequels.
You can squarely look at Kennedy for that. The reason is she doesn't fundamentaly understand star wars herself. You can go back to her comment about the difference between the MCU and star wars. She said, star wars doesn't have years of comics, books and stories to draw from. That alone should tell anyone what they need to know about her.

MickeyMouse10

JJ "Bad Reboot" should have done all 3 sequel films. He was just remaking the first 3 all over again with a female protagonist. But that's still better than what Ruin Johnson did with it.

The Last Jedi made the mistake of integrating new characters. Who got way too much screen time (Rose), collisping more important characters (Po). For some crazy reason he killed off great characters prematurely (Snoke and Captain Phasma). And maybe worst of all had the most pointless scene plopped in the middle of it. Where Finn and Rose go to find someone, who they don't ever meet. The whole mission amounts to nothing. "Oh my God this drunk looking guy in a jail cell is not reliable?"

This list of suckyness hindered "The Rise of Skywalker" as well. Because they had to throw in the Emperor, who wasn't even hinted at until the last film. And how is he introduced to the sequel trilogy? In the scroll at the beginning. "By the way the Emperors back. Because Ruin Johnson killed Snoke".

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
JJ "Bad Reboot" should have done all 3 sequel films. He was just remaking the first 3 all over again with a female protagonist. But that's still better than what Ruin Johnson did with it.

The Last Jedi made the mistake of integrating new characters. Who got way too much screen time (Rose), collisping more important characters (Po). For some crazy reason he killed off great characters prematurely (Snoke and Captain Phasma). And maybe worst of all had the most pointless scene plopped in the middle of it. Where Finn and Rose go to find someone, who they don't ever meet. The whole mission amounts to nothing. "Oh my God this drunk looking guy is not reliable?"

This list of suckyness hindered "The Rise of Skywalker" as well. Because they had to throw in the Emperor, who wasn't even been hinted at until the last film. And how is he introduced to the sequel trilogy? In the scroll at the beginning. "By the way the Emperors back. Because Ruin Johnson killed Snoke".
If George Lucas intends to erasing all sequels (The Forces Awakens, The Last Jedi and Rise of the Skywalker) to be replaced by a three fresh sequels to taken place after The Return of the Jedi. If Lucas could including Star Tours as canon too in the sequels. The new main villian will be more powerful than Darth Vader, even Kylo Ren and Rey would be as son and daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia (who was killed by one of the Stormtrooper before the sequels during after the Return of the Jedi.) Finn could be a main character as a new Jedi as Luke Skywalker can help even better for Finn than the Last Jedi, at the end of the third sequel where Finn and Luke are fighting Kylo Ren in the portal zone where Kylo Ren will go back in time to help his grandfather, Darth Vader in the Empire Strikes Back events.

MickeyMouse10

If George Lucas intends to erasing all sequels (The Forces Awakens, The Last Jedi and Rise of the Skywalker) to be replaced by a three fresh sequels to taken place after The Return of the Jedi. If Lucas could including Star Tours as canon too in the sequels. The new main villian will be more powerful than Darth Vader, even Kylo Ren and Rey would be as son and daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia (who was killed by one of the Stormtrooper before the sequels during after the Return of the Jedi.) Finn could be a main character as a new Jedi as Luke Skywalker can help even better for Finn than the Last Jedi, at the end of the third sequel where Finn and Luke are fighting Kylo Ren in the portal zone where Kylo Ren will go back in time to help his grandfather, Darth Vader in the Empire Strikes Back events.

They'll never erase the sequels, Disney's got too many things themed after them (Galaxy's Edge and the Starcrusier). We just got to hope they won't do anymore. LOL!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney had an opportunity to embrace the prequels and like cobra kai did for it's 2 less favorable films, maybe enhance them. Unfortunately they basically pretended they didn't exist.
I don't see it that way. Between Rogue One, the last season of Clone Wars (set in prequel times), Bad Batch, Mando, and Fett, and even LEGO Star Wars; Favreau and Filioni have been going out of their way to tie-in both prequel and sequel movies. Right from the beginning of Mando, we're learning of cloning experiments on Force-sensitive children (Grogu), which sets up the return ("somehow") of Palpatine.

The rides in Galaxy's Edge and the Starcruiser hotel create connections to the pr/sequels.

Star Wars Stories is going back to prequel times, too (even earlier with Dooku's origin story).

In fact those who didn't like the prequels or sequels are dismayed at how much of their storylines are being cemented into the canon by all these tying up of loose ends and expansion of pr/sequel material. It means for them, that their hope is gone that either trilogy will be wiped clean from the canon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The Last Jedi made the mistake of integrating new characters. Who got way too much screen time (Rose), collisping more important characters (Po). For some crazy reason he killed off great characters prematurely (Snoke and Captain Phasma). And maybe worst of all had the most pointless scene plopped in the middle of it. Where Finn and Rose go to find someone, who they don't ever meet. The whole mission amounts to nothing. "Oh my God this drunk looking guy in a jail cell is not reliable?"

This list of suckyness hindered "The Rise of Skywalker" as well. Because they had to throw in the Emperor, who wasn't even hinted at until the last film. And how is he introduced to the sequel trilogy? In the scroll at the beginning. "By the way the Emperors back. Because Ruin Johnson killed Snoke".
I think they both sucked royally. But I’m sure that Can’t be 🤥

erasure fan1

I don't see it that way. Between Rogue One, the last season of Clone Wars (set in prequel times), Bad Batch, Mando, and Fett, and even LEGO Star Wars; Favreau and Filioni have been going out of their way to tie-in both prequel and sequel movies. Right from the beginning of Mando, we're learning of cloning experiments on Force-sensitive children (Grogu), which sets up the return ("somehow") of Palpatine.

The rides in Galaxy's Edge and the Starcruiser hotel create connections to the pr/sequels.

Star Wars Stories is going back to prequel times, too (even earlier with Dooku's origin story).

In fact those who didn't like the prequels or sequels are dismayed at how much of their storylines are being cemented into the canon by all these tying up of loose ends and expansion of pr/sequel material. It means for them, that their hope is gone that either trilogy will be wiped clean from the canon.
Rogue one played off of the original trilogy. They have been reactionary to the prequels at best after they've seen there are people who have a soft spot for them. Remember, it was Disney who cancelled clone wars. Now they acknowledge they exist. but I still don't think they're really doing all that much. The only reason we've gotten anything is because the sequels didn't land like they wanted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That’s all pretty much damage control, isn’t it?

They pooched the “main event”

Or are we still arguing against the reasonable truth?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s all pretty much damage control, isn’t it?

They pooched the “main event”

Or are we still arguing against the reasonable truth?
I'm saying what they did.

I acknowledged that some people don't like it.

You're the one applying your appraisal of it and trying to bait me.

Like I said, evict me from your mind. I'm not paying rent.

No, seriously, this is getting old.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Rogue one played off of the original trilogy. They have been reactionary to the prequels at best after they've seen there are people who have a soft spot for them. Remember, it was Disney who cancelled clone wars. Now they acknowledge they exist. but I still don't think they're really doing all that much. The only reason we've gotten anything is because the sequels didn't land like they wanted.
I would like to go back in time and tell Disney in 2012 what I tell my kids nearly daily now:
“Everybody makes mistakes…but there are some mistakes you Can Not make…”

But they should have known. The prequels happened and they knew you couldn’t come in under the bar again. Tsk tsk.

Just had to make somewhat coherent stories with Likeable characters. Pee jokes need not apply.

I’ll give them a little credit for running to filoni and putting George on all their D+ now. Good damage control by KK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm saying what they did.

I acknowledged that some people don't like it.

You're the one applying your appraisal of it and trying to bait me.

Like I said, evict me from your mind. I'm not paying rent.

No, seriously, this is getting old.
They can’t get any Star Wars movies made. And you can’t blame that on Covid.

“Some” is downplaying the failure. You can keep doing it for 5 more years…10…but they’re not getting any better. Like a fish left out in the sun on a rock.

You’re right…it’s getting REALLY old. Disney failed. Not with “some”. Enough that they have cleared alot of the decks and can’t figure out what to do. Low risk streaming shows.

erasure fan1

You’re right…it’s getting REALLY old. Disney failed. Not with “some”. Enough that they have cleared alot of the decks and can’t figure out what to do. Low risk streaming shows.
And this is what I don't get about the defenders. I was told on here that I don't know that they aren't doing anything. And to wait for D23.... But here we are, with absolutely nothing to hang our hats on except for some placeholder dates from what, 3 years ago? The last thing I want to do is constantly dog the franchise that ment EVERYTHING to me as a kid. I just don't get how the state of theatrical star wars is defended.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And this is what I don't get about the defenders. I was told on here that I don't know that they aren't doing anything. And to wait for D23.... But here we are, with absolutely nothing to hang our hats on except for some placeholder dates from what, 3 years ago? The last thing I want to do is constantly dog the franchise that ment EVERYTHING to me as a kid. I just don't get how the state of theatrical star wars is defended.
I can’t figure what the problem is?

Only do D+? Ok..

Story drought? Administrative fail? Company skiddish?

Maybe all of them?

Last edited:

Screamface

It's weird to try and understand the decision. It was clearly something like, "let's remake the original trilogy, let's make one new character which is Luke, Han and Leia. She's a Jedi with the Millenium Falcon and Chewie. Then after the trilogy, we do what could have been sequels to the originals."

I firmly believe TROS was JJ literally going, "here were my notes for sequels adapted into being a sequel." Not caring if it made sense. It's the only way I can make sense of the film. No Snoke, so just Palps. Even Rey saying she's a Skywalker. It only makes sense in the context of JJ going, "she was a Skywalker originally."

TLJ is such a badly written film, I honestly can't tell if the people who claim to like it even watch the film or pay attention to it. Maybe they just get drunk or high and put it on in a fugue state. Separate for how it messed up the already shaky grounds the sequels were on. It's just badly written, as you mention the mission to do nothing. I could go on endlessly about how bad that film in. Poe doesn't like the plan for the rebellion to just run until destroyed. See's the majority of the Rebellion destroyed. Learns he was wrong to question the plan that got the majority of the rebellion destroyed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom