Parking secret

Status
Not open for further replies.
backinaction said:
My family has been doing this every year for 20 years, not because we want to save on parking, but because we enjoy the dining at the deluxe hotels and riding the monorails. Florida law states that any hotel parking lot is PUBLIC parking! Disney can do what they want at the gate (they can put up all the signs they want), but once the car gets in, there in for good. That is why Disney doesn't tow cars because legally the can't. I've never seen a tow truck in a deluxe hotel ever and my family parks there every time we go.

Could you provide a Fl state Statue number on that, I have never heard of it before. Disney does tow and I doubt disney would if it was illegal.

Disneyland1970

domincfh69 said:
i just like to explore the deluxe hotels before i go into the parks (sorry i'm poor and cant afford to stay in them)....yes thanks guys you got me banned.... but domincfh doesn't give up that easily.....we are in America but obviously freedom of speech doesn't apply on these boards....i guess if your poor you dont get the same respect as everyone else does....i dont know why i would expect any better on a disney site though were everyone is a millionaire :rolleyes: .... anyways you guys get so upset when someone posts that disney will allow you to park at the deluxe resorts....dont get mad at me people....get mad at disney for not enforcing their own rules!

Dude I hope some rich guy feels the freedom to park his HUMMER H1 on top of your moped because you feel the need to park where you are not staying!

By the way, being polite has no income requirement!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Florida Statute 166.271 provides the rules for municipalities regarding parking facilities, fees, etc.

Florida Statue 715.07 basically says the owner of the property has the right to tow the vehicle away, and says where it can be towed you. Luckily for you, WDW usually tows to the Car Care Center. Unluckily for you, if the car care center staff isn't available, any licensed tow truck can pick it up... and drop it off within a 10 mile radius in the county you're in... also unlucky, Pine Hills is within 10 miles... and tourists don't go to Pine Hills. Hell, locals don't go to Pine Hills. Also unlucky, a 10 mile cab ride in Orlando goes for about $35-40... more if the taxi company wants to rip you off.

And then the money associated with reclaiming the vehicle.

So once again, I'm right... and all the cheaters are wrong.

The Mom

Premium Member
Robfasto said:
Of course the easy way for Disney to get around this Legally is to start charging for Resort parking as many Hotels in Florida already do.

I can see this happening in the near future. I believe I read a post stating the Swan/Dolphin already have started doing this.

backinaction

Hotels & Restaurants in Florida (including all those on Disney property) are defined under state law as "Public Lodgings" - the operative word here being Public.

An operator of a "Public Lodging" may deny or revoke access to someone for a variety of reasons, including disorderly conduct, public intoxication, intent to distrubute illegal substances, etc, etc. Absent one of those obvious common sense reasons, public access means public access.

Disney certainly has the right to try to discourage parking by day guests, but the "rule" referred to in this thread has little or no legal standing. As for being towed, that's not going to happen. Unless signs are prominently and frequently erected announcing "Parking is for Resort Guests Only. All others will be Towed", no basis for towing exists. The "Rule" doesn't count.

Disney DOES NOT TOW. They have no way of knowing where you are, or even if you still in the hotel, and they are not going to tow someone's car that is shopping or eating in one of their hotels. They are not going to waste the man hours on searching for cars in their lot that are not supposed to be there. It just not going to happen. Its just bad for business. They want people to come to their hotels to shop, eat, look around because not only will they make money, they may also encourage that person to stay at that hotel the next time. Once again, i have been parking at Disney hotels for over 20 years and have never had a problem. Never even seen a car get towed.

mkt

Premium Member
Disney does tow... one day, drive around the back of the Car Care Center, past the Alamo/National vehicle area... you'll see where towed cars at WDW end up at.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interestingly, all roads north of the MK plaza, indeed from the EPCOT Center Drive intersection on World Drive northwards are classed in law as private - including the tarmac of the Contemporary, Poly, GF and FW. I wonder how this messes things up?

Robfasto

backinaction said:
Unless signs are prominently and frequently erected announcing "Parking is for Resort Guests Only. All others will be Towed", no basis for towing exists. The "Rule" doesn't count.

To get around having to post signs the do issue 2 and 3 hour parking permits that are to be displayed in the windshield of the car. You are also told upon check-in that if you don't have your permit displayed your car can be towed.

mkt

Premium Member
even though it is a public place, the laws governing private property prevail

wannab@dis

BwanaBob said:
I guess the really good threads never die!

:brick:

It never stops! :lol:

Attachments

• BnyBigBunny_img.jpg
    BnyBigBunny_img.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 164

stitch82

backinaction said:
Disney DOES NOT TOW. They have no way of knowing where you are, or even if you still in the hotel, and they are not going to tow someone's car that is shopping or eating in one of their hotels. They are not going to waste the man hours on searching for cars in their lot that are not supposed to be there. It just not going to happen. Its just bad for business. They want people to come to their hotels to shop, eat, look around because not only will they make money, they may also encourage that person to stay at that hotel the next time. Once again, i have been parking at Disney hotels for over 20 years and have never had a problem. Never even seen a car get towed.

oh...they tow. i've seen it, others on this discussion have seen it. simply bc you haven't seen it happen does not mean that it *never* happens. you've been going for 20 years and haven't seen a lot of things that happen all the time at wdw.

also, they know how long your vehicle is in the lot...it's recorded when you pull in. this requires very few man hours and little effort...you've just been lucky. and being lucky doesn't make cheating the parking system right.

backinaction

I must be the luckiest person in Disney then....:rolleyes: ....There not going to tow people shopping and eating in their hotels...just not goina happen.

mkt

Premium Member
backinaction said:
I must be the luckiest person in Disney then....:rolleyes: ....There not going to tow people shopping and eating in their hotels...just not goina happen.

nope, but they can tow those who park in the resorts to go to the parks

Shaman

The Mom said:
I can see this happening in the near future. I believe I read a post stating the Swan/Dolphin already have started doing this.

Yup...7$ per day I believe...unless you have a handicap permit....

LDK2064

Disney does tow. My brother did the College Program last year, and his roomate worked in parking at the Contemporary. He told me that one day in August they towed like 25-30 cars because the owners were not resort guests and did not have the proper parking permits displayed. If you got away with doing this, then you were probably visiting during one of the low peak times (January-March, September-October?). During these times, parking is at less of a demand, which is probably the only reason you got away with it. Try doing this summer or during the holidays, and you will come back to the lot to find your car gone.

The Mom

Premium Member
Thank you, LDK. I hope this puts an end to the "Disney never tows" myth once and for all. Apparently, some people HAVE just been lucky. :animwink:

backinaction

Another good thing to do is park at one of the deluxe hotels and bring your bathing suit. These hotels have really nice swimming pools with big slides. Dont worry, Disney doesn't tow.

shoppingnut

backinaction said:
Another good thing to do is park at one of the deluxe hotels and bring your bathing suit. These hotels have really nice swimming pools with big slides. Dont worry, Disney doesn't tow.

Pool hopping isn't permitted either. When we go to one of the deluxe hotels for breakfast or shopping, I'm lazy and don't want to walk from the free parking area in the heat, so I pay $6 and valet the car. This way I don't need to worry about leaving the car if I decide we're going to go over to a park or somewhere else from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom