Parking secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail Hayden

fillerup said:
Interesting discussion, but one that needs a little additional context I think.

I'm not going to advocate for or against any particular position, but just simply add some facts.

Hotels & Restaurants in Florida (including all those on Disney property) are defined under state law as "Public Lodgings" - the operative word here being Public.

An operator of a "Public Lodging" may deny or revoke access to someone for a variety of reasons, including disorderly conduct, public intoxication, intent to distrubute illegal substances, etc, etc. Absent one of those obvious common sense reasons, public access means public access.

Disney certainly has the right to try to discourage parking by day guests, but the "rule" referred to in this thread has little or no legal standing. As for being towed, that's not going to happen. Unless signs are prominently and frequently erected announcing "Parking is for Resort Guests Only. All others will be Towed", no basis for towing exists. The "Rule" doesn't count.

Does Disney have the right to erect parking kiosks, and collect a fee from every day guest? Of course they do. But I'm quite sure they know the ill will that this would create wouldn't be worth it.

From a personal standpoint, I would estimate that in the last 10 weeks (which obviously includes Christmas), I have parked at Disney resorts 16 to 20 times. Without exception, the exchange went thusly: "Hello Sir. Checking in?" "No (handing over my local license), just visiting." "Thank you Sir. Valet parking to your right, self parking to the left. Have a nice visit."

I couldn't care less about the $7 - but I will continue to avail myself of the public parking that WDW makes available to me, and that I find most convenient.

Finally, I almost always spend something at the resort where I park, a meal or a snack, or a gift. I never park at the Poly because I recognize the limits of the lot. I was turned away from WL on Christmas Eve, 2003 because the lot was full - and I did the u-turn without complaint. And I never lie to get in a lot - I've never been asked if I'm going to a theme park.

How about the signs the are very explicit in stating that parking is NOT for theme park guests?

tigger248

Gail Hayden said:
How about the signs the are very explicit in stating that parking is NOT for theme park guests?

Yes! I'd almost forgotten about them. I know that all the MK resorts on the monorail loop have them (I used to drive past them daily when I worked in the MK). I'd imagine that the other resorts, at least the ones within walking distance of the parks, would have similar signage. I believe the one at the Contemporary reads something like "We regret to inform you that we can not provide parking for the Magic Kingdom".

To me, that says that it's both cheating and wrong to park in such a lot. Regardless of whether they let you in for omitting key information, it's still wrong. If too many people continue to do this, I can see WDW doing what Universal has already done. Charge for parking even at the resorts. I'm sure resort guests would get a parking pass in, but it would also eliminate some of the cheaters (hopefully).

Gail Hayden

tigger248 said:
Yes! I'd almost forgotten about them. I know that all the MK resorts on the monorail loop have them (I used to drive past them daily when I worked in the MK). I'd imagine that the other resorts, at least the ones within walking distance of the parks, would have similar signage. I believe the one at the Contemporary reads something like "We regret to inform you that we can not provide parking for the Magic Kingdom".

To me, that says that it's both cheating and wrong to park in such a lot. Regardless of whether they let you in for omitting key information, it's still wrong. If too many people continue to do this, I can see WDW doing what Universal has already done. Charge for parking even at the resorts. I'm sure resort guests would get a parking pass in, but it would also eliminate some of the cheaters (hopefully).

You are totally correct. The signs are at : The Contemp, GF, Poly, BW,and Y&B.

Tom

Beta Return
Gail Hayden said:
It appears our little unfortunate friend from CT does pretty well and I do doubt he is an attorney. :) Do you have a problem with attorneys?

I have a problem with attorneys who advertise on TV - that's for sure :lol:

tigger1968

You know, the ironic part is that little troublemaker STILL managed to get us all worked up about something.... :brick:

Gail Hayden

edwardtc said:
I have a problem with attorneys who advertise on TV - that's for sure :lol:

Me too!! But, it does save gas when you consider the amount used to chase the ambulances. ;)

I am not too excited about the Physicians that advertise on TV either.

Gail Hayden

HTML:
If you ignore him, he will go away. It's almost the same thing as someone registering a nick to post spam. Ignore them. I'm not an administrator, so I'm not telling anyone what to do, but why is everyone beating their head against a wall ? :brick:

ROTM

Steps to get in the park for free and free parking** :D
1. Find a working parachute
2. Sneak on a helicopter tour from Kissimmee (bring a camera nice photos !)
3. Fly over the Magic Kingdom
4. Jump out and hope the parachute opens before you hit the ground

Congratulations on getting into the Magic Kingdom for absolutely free
Before no time you'll be eating a turkey leg or be sitting in the beautiful Millennia Prison and enjoying you're stay in Orlando for a long time.

**Not recommended for people with heat conditions, expectant mothers, Back, Neck, or similar Physical conditions
Guest under 48' may not ride

No- it still works. My parents said they were trying to get into Character Dinner at the Contemp. & the guy says go to the left for free or vallet is to the right?... Something like that... Then they either just walk over or ride the monorail :hammer:

TheOneVader

ROTM said:
Steps to get in the park for free and free parking** :D
1. Find a working parachute
2. Sneak on a helicopter tour from Kissimmee (bring a camera nice photos !)
3. Fly over the Magic Kingdom
4. Jump out and hope the parachute opens before you hit the ground

I know a lot easier, and better way of getting free parking. It's rather simple. First, you become CEO of the Walt Disney Co. Then, you go to the toll booth, tell them you're the CEO, and presto! Free parking!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Pixiedust1393 said:
No- it still works. My parents said they were trying to get into Character Dinner at the Contemp. & the guy says go to the left for free or vallet is to the right?... Something like that... Then they either just walk over or ride the monorail :hammer:

yeah.. well guess what, it's not allowed, and if you get caught, you can get towed.

If disney is still useing Hughes towing they tow your car about 45 miles away at that too, And I have seen them tow more then one car before.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
They use whoever is available.. lol. My preference goes for Irish Mike's towing, cause he's in Downtown Orlando and open only regular business hours. Meaning the people that get caught have to jump through several hurdles to get their car.

Hughes is about the same there on OBT by the citrus bowl, and well there open regular hours but there not always there so you might have to wait for someone to get back.

Langdonj

Another thing I like about WDWmagic.

I always enjoy the way the majority of people speak up about posts that suggest unethical practices. It is just so Disney :sohappy: :sohappy:

backinaction

My family has been doing this every year for 20 years, not because we want to save on parking, but because we enjoy the dining at the deluxe hotels and riding the monorails. Florida law states that any hotel parking lot is PUBLIC parking! Disney can do what they want at the gate (they can put up all the signs they want), but once the car gets in, there in for good. That is why Disney doesn't tow cars because legally the can't. I've never seen a tow truck in a deluxe hotel ever and my family parks there every time we go.

Robfasto

Of course the easy way for Disney to get around this Legally is to start charging for Resort parking as many Hotels in Florida already do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom