park hopping.......very misunderstood

AndyS2992

Park hopping is great. We stay for 14 days, the first week we usually spend all day at one of the parks but the second week we go to one from say 9am-4pm and then return to the resort to relax and eat and then head out to a different park at 7pm-12am.

eliza61nyc

I’ve read every reply this guy makes and I still can’t figure out his argument.

From how I interpreted it, he is saying that Disney is ripping folks off with park hoppers. He is saying that they are marketing it as a "perk" when it's actually trying to cover up what he see as not enough rides in all the parks.
Basically he's saying if disney put more "stuff" be it rides, shows or parades in the parks, no one would park hop.

My annoyance is he's claiming this as fact with absolutely no evidence but his own experience. lol, I'm a research scientist so I have an inbred annoyance at people who claim their opinions as fact.

This is just my interpretation, I could be totally wrong.

Mawg

OK, put a huge lagoon in the middle of the MK, and serve alcohol, and have lots of restaurants around the lagoon that all serve alcohol, and maybe I won't need to go to Epcot. To me that reasoning just doesn't hold up. Why would it be to my advantage to have all the parks offering exactly the same thing? I like the vibe of the MK, but then I also like the vibe of Epcot. I spend some time in one, and then some time in the other. What's not to like?
I'm having a little problem understanding what you are saying. It sounds like you feel that every park should have the same attractions? How exactly would that be done? Same restaurants, same nighttime show/parades? How? I don't mind speculating how it would change things if the world were perfect, but, it's not and it just seems odd since no one has to hop if they don't want too. It is a choice, but, it isn't a bad choice for many people, myself included. I use the travel time between places as a bit of a rest break. You consider it a waste of time, I call it recharging the batteries.

All I'm saying is there are a lot of reasons to park hop, some of those reasons for some people are due to short comings in some of the parks. Adding park hopper to your ticket helps fix those short comings. Probably more so for first time visitors or infrequent visitors than for the veteran that knows what they want to do.

Goofyernmost

All I'm saying is there are a lot of reasons to park hop, some of those reasons for some people are due to short comings in some of the parks. Adding park hopper to your ticket helps fix those short comings. Probably more so for first time visitors or infrequent visitors than for the veteran that knows what they want to do.
Nope cannot agree with that. No matter what is in any park there will always be people that do not care for what is there or, even more simply, like some of the other stuff that is in other parks as well and time limitation might create the need. I have gone so many times that I have a specific list, in my head, that I want to see, either new or repeated. I am not going to other parks because there isn't enough to do, I am going because there are other things that I like better and want to see them. That is a big difference. No one will ever say that if they went to everything, decided that what they wanted to eat fit the park they were in that they couldn't find enough to do to fill a day, that is even true of DHS in it's present state.

eliza61nyc

I think what he is really trying to say is that Tokyo Disney Sea is the perfect park and that you wouldn't have to park hop there. His avatar is Tokyo Disney Sea. Disney Sea is okay but I really don't see it as being any more special than California Adventure.

then what was all the dribble about how disney markets it as a perk and the "mindlessly eat it up " comment about? lol,
How about a simple "this is why I think Tokyo disney sea is better" thread?

Mawg

Nope cannot agree with that. No matter what is in any park there will always be people that do not care for what is there or, even more simply, like some of the other stuff that is in other parks as well and time limitation might create the need. I have gone so many times that I have a specific list, in my head, that I want to see, either new or repeated. I am not going to other parks because there isn't enough to do, I am going because there are other things that I like better and want to see them. That is a big difference. No one will ever say that if they went to everything, decided that what they wanted to eat fit the park they were in that they couldn't find enough to do to fill a day, that is even true of DHS in it's present state.

Understand your opinion. I may be the only one included in my statement "some people hop due to short comings in the parks" but for me I hop because in the evening at the MK I want a beer, or I hop out of DHS because of a lack of attractions, I use to hop out of AK because it closed too early and a lack of attractions, I hop to Epcot for better Dinning options and leave for a lack of attractions. For ME those issues could be addressed if they just quit reusing attractions and expanded, added a few better Dinning options to the other parks and let you have beer at the MK, a few updated/better night time shows at some of the parks would not hurt either.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

JordanNite for one.
A troll...
f08.gif

Last edited:

Matthewtrask

Park hopping adds a wonderful layer of flexibility. When we go as a family we come up with a plan, but that can change based on experiences and such. We may be in Magic Kingdom but wanna go to Germany in Epcot for a snack, and the hopper lets us do that easily.

Ismael Flores

No doubt that millions use the feature(for good reasons, too)......but what I'm getting at is the obvious but often overlooked:

A guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park. If a park were sound enough then one would not leave it to go to another.

When I'm in Tokyo I do not park hop because each of the two parks are self contained experiences, offerings everything I could ever want/need for the day from attractions to eats to shopping

And when I'm in Anaheim I hop on a very limited basis because once again, for the most part, each park is sufficient.

Last time I was in Florida I opted not to add the park hopping. I regretted it, not because each park wasn’t sufficient but because some parks were more packed then others. Being stuck in one park that is packed full with people with no option to just go to another park and have a more enjoyable option was not fun.

In Anaheim I normally spend most my time in DCA to avoid the insane crowds inside Disneyland also because I find the food options with wine at DCA better but I enjoy the park hopping so i can spend an hour or two at disneyland enjoying the overlooked attractions

Janir

True. It's like insurance. I get it. There's value there for spontaneity. I'm just saying that those who don't end up park hopping didn't need to pay for it. That type of planning might be better suited for families who need to plan out their days at WDW.

Spontaneity! That's our biggest reason as well. With the way everything is geared you need to do a lot of pre-planning, dinner reservations, FP+'s, special parties or EMH. But sometimes it just nice to decide, Lets head to EPCOT for dinner and see what we find.
Its just the wife and I so for us that works out nice, I can understand for larger groups it might be a bigger issue.

kbmum

Spontaneity! That's our biggest reason as well. With the way everything is geared you need to do a lot of pre-planning, dinner reservations, FP+'s, special parties or EMH. But sometimes it just nice to decide, Lets head to EPCOT for dinner and see what we find.
Its just the wife and I so for us that works out nice, I can understand for larger groups it might be a bigger issue.

This is precisely why I love park hopper. I usually plan all of our FPs in the morning, plus a handful of lunch/dinner reservations, but leave the evenings open to go wherever we want. Since we visit in the summer when there's a lot of rain, park hopper gives us the flexibility to, say, see Fantasmic during an evening when the skies are clear instead of being stuck with whatever is happening weather-wise during the one or two days we go to DHS.

durangojim

I believe they always had park hopper since they went to the passport and away from the A-F ticket system.

But it was only a $20 add on until a few years ago when it jumped to around $50 a day.
Still isn't $50/day, more like ~$50 for the length of a ticket. For us that's usually around $7-8 which is reasonable for our use. We might not use it every day but it's nice to go to a park, rest at the resort and then go to a different park for dinner. I have no complaints.

disneygurl

Park hopping at its core demonstrates shortcomings.

I find it almost funny how Disney markets "park hopping" as a desirable feature------and millions mindlessly eat it up.

I absolutely love park hopping and am willing to pay for the benefit. Unfortunately, most of my trips are only a (5) day stay and the park hopper definitely maximizes my park time. Depending on the season & park hours I can see Epcot's Illuminations & Magic Kingdom's fireworks in the same night and do that more than one night during my stay. It's worth that in itself! The park hopper option is especially beneficial during the MNSSHP & Christmas party season when MK closes so early. The Christmas Party starts an hour earlier this year at 6pm. I'd rather park hop than lose an entire night at a Disney theme park.

matt9112

Park hopping at its core demonstrates shortcomings.

I find it almost funny how Disney markets "park hopping" as a desirable feature------and millions mindlessly eat it up.

depends.....the current suck about it is how lopsided the parks are in certain offerings. for example the studios is nowhere near a full day park currently and if fantasmic isn't a priority can be done by legit noon if you plan smart. and than there's epcot attraction wise another half day park BUT if you like all the dining that the park is very heavy on than there's that. for example I often finish at epcot for dinner but do another park during the day.

park hoping is totally dependent on how you planned your vacation. if dining always matches the park you selected for that day on your vacation than it's not needed more or less. on the other side of the coin I hate crowds and if somebody asked me how to plan a vaca I would do 2 or 3 mornings at MK (rope drops) and finish all those days at other parks (also where your fastpass is) and than on your "MK" Day you can take it easy and soak it in without waiting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom