park hopping.......very misunderstood

Damon7777

Original Poster
Park hopping at its core demonstrates shortcomings.

I find it almost funny how Disney markets "park hopping" as a desirable feature------and millions mindlessly eat it up.

KBLovedDisney

Depends on usage (i.e. dining options - if you are dining for lunch in one park and supper in another; same with fast pass options) and your timing if a park-hopper is of better option for your trip. Some find it necessary to utilize a park-hopper especially if they only are able to take a short trip and want to pack in more than one park per day during that time.

I wouldn't say it is a shortcoming on Disney's part, but more so on the person who doesn't use the park-hopper to its full intention. This can be said the same for using the Dining plan option. One can purchase it, but the person can very well waste money if they haven't done their calculations before hand and prepared.

Just sayin.:cautious:

Pixieish

There have been many days where we started out with no intentions of hopping, and then ended up doing so anyway - especially in the fall when parts of Epcot close for the festivals/filming, and the last few years HS seemed to close super early too. We haven't been back yet since AK started having night hours.

Ralphlaw

We once hit all four parks in one day, but did not set out to do so. We hit Animal Kingdom first, and were done by early afternoon. We then decided to hit Star Tours at Studios, and bussed our way there. We then thought supper at Epcot would be nice, so we boated there. It was our last full day, so we then monorailed back to Baylake to get packed up. My kids hit the pool while my wife and I packed. Once that was done, we saw that Magic Kingdom had extra magic hours, so we wandered over there around 9 pm, saw the late fireworks, and closed the place around midnight. Yeah, super busy day, but we did it without setting out to do so.

For us, we usually take a break from the parks in the afternoon by heading back to the resort. Most nights it's either Epcot or Magic Kingdom. We probably hit more than one park about half the days we're at Disney, so park hopping is a big deal for us. Without park hopping, we would not come back to Disney as often, and we certainly wouldn't stay for as long.

Damon7777

Original Poster
No doubt that millions use the feature(for good reasons, too)......but what I'm getting at is the obvious but often overlooked:

A guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park. If a park were sound enough then one would not leave it to go to another.

When I'm in Tokyo I do not park hop because each of the two parks are self contained experiences, offerings everything I could ever want/need for the day from attractions to eats to shopping

And when I'm in Anaheim I hop on a very limited basis because once again, for the most part, each park is sufficient.

Myth Maker

I think more crazy is how much of an up-charge park hopping is. You really can only be at one park at a given time, so there should be no charge for moving between parks.

Maybe if they offered the ability to book more than one park fast passes or had the park hopping busses (now discontinued) included in the price it would justify it, but as it is it really is just a non-justifiable up-charge.

Pixieish

No doubt that millions use the feature(for good reasons, too)......but what I'm getting at is the obvious but often overlooked:

A guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park. If a park were sound enough then one would not leave it to go to another.

When I'm in Tokyo I do not park hop because each of the two parks are self contained experiences, offerings everything I could ever want/need for the day from attractions to eats to shopping

And when I'm in Anaheim I hop on a very limited basis because once again, for the most part, each park is sufficient.

Yeah, we're usually hopping because a park closed earlier than we were finished for the day. We honeymooned at WDW in late-Oct/early-Nov in 2000 and the parks are all closing WAY earlier now compared to then. (Not to mention the now-greatly-missed Pleasure Island.)

danyoung56

I almost always hop, spending the morning in one park and the evening in another. Of course, I use an AP, so the park-hopping add-on doesn't apply. But I think if I were using regular tickets I'd still pay for the park hopping. That way, on a day when DAK closes early, I can hop over to another park that stays open late. It's definitely a benefit for me!

larandtra

Park hopping is generally a very acceptable and beneficial practice whether on or off property. On property more so due to EMH. But as an AP holder who takes one or two long trips a year and 5 or 6 weekend trips, Park hopping is great. Start in one park in the morning, relax at the resort midday, and have dinner and another park at night. It allows a ton of flexibility when its a day where we say, hmmm, tired of the pool, lets go just walk through a park. It certainly is a selling point for those who know how to use it. Just as using EMH and FP correctly, planning things out, and allowing flexibility within the plan, people who use hopping, EMH, and FP correctly benefit greatly. And it is NOT an upcharge. Again, go look at prices of ANY other park system with multiple parks and youll see they charge for multiple park access as well. Ive seen some reaches just to call things a cash grab, but, this one may be the funniest.

ppete1975

As someone who cant go to The world more than once every 4-5 years (although sometimes ive pushed that), I love park hopper. The real question is should it be free (I know it never will be as this is easy money). My opinion has always been that a Magic Kingdom ticket on a party day should include park hopper for free, as you have to leave early and this will get guests to spend more money, not be as mad, and maybe enjoy a park they didn't even know existed (we aren't all super fans, the casual fan still exists). I do have a question. When my parents took me to MAgic Kingdon, and we went to Epcot in 83 did we pay extra, or was it one cost?

JohnD

It can be useful, especially if there are shows that aren't shown every day in a park. For example, I recently hopped from Epcot to MK to see HEA. For passholders like me not an issue. A ticket holder would really need to go to the website and plan out their trip before purchasing tickets. But what are the chances of that? I'm sure WDW makes plenty of revenue from ticket sales with park hopper that are never used.

Prince-1

Sorry your statement is completely false. You are projecting your own inner logic on others which is a faulty way of thinking. Here are three reasons why my family hops form park to park:

We park hop because we sometimes visit for only two-three days and we want to make sure we hit every park.
We also have been going to WDW for decades and we now only want to do certain things at a specific park and then head over to do certain things at another park.
During the holidays we sometimes want to see holiday specific events (Jingle Cruise, the now defunct Ozzy Osbourne Lights, etc.) so we visit different parks.

JohnD

Sorry your statement is completely false. You are projecting your own inner logic on others which is a faulty way of thinking. Here are three reasons why my family hops form park to park:

We park hop because we sometimes visit for only two-three days and we want to make sure we hit every park.
We also have been going to WDW for decades and we now only want to do certain things at a specific park and then head over to do certain things at another park.
During the holidays we sometimes want to see holiday specific events (Jingle Cruise, the now defunct Ozzy Ozbourne Lights, etc.) so we visit different parks.
"Ozzy Ozbourne". Ha!

Stitch_Fan_NJ

Why I like park hopper ability to do what you want when you want. I have a hard time finding the enjoyment in planning out which park you’re doing months out and then staying in that park all day long (no offense to anyone that enjoys this) even though FP+ you kind of have no choice now.

The #1 reason to love it is being able to watch illuminations then hop a monorail to MK for late night EMH :hungry:

JohnD

Why I like park hopper ability to do what you want when you want. I have a hard time finding the enjoyment in planning out which park you’re doing months out and then staying in that park all day long (no offense to anyone that enjoys this) even though FP+ you kind of have no choice now.

The #1 reason to love it is being able to watch illuminations then hop a monorail to MK for late night EMH :hungry:

True. It's like insurance. I get it. There's value there for spontaneity. I'm just saying that those who don't end up park hopping didn't need to pay for it. That type of planning might be better suited for families who need to plan out their days at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom