park hopping.......very misunderstood

eliza61nyc

Well yes.......otherwise why go to Epcot after? Why go there if MK is fully sufficient? The answer is because each park has strengths and weaknesses. No one park is sound especially at WDW

Totally illogical.

first, in order to compare the "soundness" of the parks to one another, each park would have to be similar. they are not, were not made to be similar nor offer the same experience.

Next you have to have some type of barometer, what are you using to measure each park by? what are you using to determine "weakness". roller coasters? live shows? 3D shows? food choices? exactly what?

Sufficient to who? who are your test subjects? families with babies, teenagers? old people? You say you rarely hop in Anaheim, can you say the rest of us would not hop either? I may get to Anaheim and hop my heart away then what?

Next, you are ascertaining that Disney invented park hopping because they knew the parks were insufficient. what do you have to back that up?

sorry you cannot question people intelligence when you entire concept is flawed, without structure nor measurable merit.
this is what we call that the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. You are assuming that since people park hop, it must be caused by poor theme parks because if the theme parks weren't poor people wouldn't park hop. that is a fallacy, you are basing a conclusion on YOUR feelings and not a darn thing studied.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Lastly,
You are saying the park hopping is misunderstood. misunderstood by whom? Is Disney claiming some thing that it's not? for many park hopping is very desirable. so why is it misunderstood?

Ralphlaw

Let's stretch the analogies:

Isn't a buffet an admission by the restaurant that none of it's dishes are good enough to please everyone?
Heck, isn't a menu an admission by the restaurant that none of its dishes are good enough to please everyone?
Isn't your DVR an admission by the TV networks that none of their shows are good enough to please everyone?
Isn't different computer fonts an admission that none of its individual fonts are good enough for everyone?
Isn't the different car brands an admission by auto companies that none of its vehicles are good enough for everyone?
Aren't different home designs an admission that architects can't satisfy everyone with one spectacular design?
Isn't a library or bookshop an admission by authors that they can't write a good enough story for everyone?

Variety is what we seek, and variety is what park hoppers get.

Phonedave

If individual Disney parks (Universal, too) offered an experience so stellar, so over the top, something so profound and meaningful then the park goer would have little desire to seek entertainment at another park. If these individual parks arrested the guest like what Star Wars did to the movie goer in 1977.........whereby viewers would not leave their seats because they were so invested and saturated, just fully engrossed in the experience, even forsaking bathroom breaks and concession eats from opening scrolls to closing credits............then guests would not concern themselves with hopping over to get that 2:30 Test Track ride or making that 7pm dinner reservation at Citricos. They would finish the "movie" which they started..

To follow this logic, you must feel that bathrooms and concession stands being open during a movie are not because some people like to get a snack or go to the bathroom during a movie, but instead are indicitive of the lack of studios putting out films that will hold a person in their seat for the duration.

If studios would just put out awesome high quality movies, then theaters would close their concession stands and bathrooms during the movie.

Mawg

I agree with the OP, not to say there is no reason to Park hop, larger groups tend to have different opinions on different parks and rides. But a park hopper should not be necessary to bring value to the original ticket.
You should not have to hop for the reasons of, diversity of attractions, dinning options, not enough attractions, night time show, parades. Reasons to Park Hop: Take advantage or Magic Hours, Avoid parks with Magic hours, Avoid Crowds, short trip and want to see multiple parks in a day, in a large group with different opinions on which parks a more fun, take advantage of parks staying open late.
I wish I could hop less, hopping between parks waste a lot of time.

Goofyernmost

True. It's like insurance. I get it. There's value there for spontaneity. I'm just saying that those who don't end up park hopping didn't need to pay for it. That type of planning might be better suited for families who need to plan out their days at WDW.
There is no way to successfully do WDW without planning unless you don't want any FP's or do not want to sit to eat at anytime. Not having a Park Hopper only complicates that matter because then every thing you plan for a single day is obligated to be in the one park that you happen to be in. That limits your selections extensively and, as I said, complicates planning extensively.

Goofyernmost

"Success" is in the eye of the beholder. We all have different yardsticks with which we measure success, and although it wouldn't fit your or my touring style, I'm sure there are plenty of people who can "successfully" visit WDW without planning...
I don't disagree, if you look in the dictionary next to spontaneous theme park touring, you will find my picture. If successful means standing in line for the vast majority of your visit and either not eating or settling for dry counter service stuff, then it can be considered successful. Or course at that point one is not setting the bar very high for themselves. Even I have to plan the park I want to be in so I can get a few FP's. I don't care about ADR's because I almost never use them. If I want to eat something other then a hamburger I simply jump in my car and head offsite. I usually do that between hopping from one park to another.

Mawg

I think we are all missing the point of the OP, we all have reasons for park hopping, we also enjoy it and like the options it give us. But what if the reasons we wanted park hopper could be addressed so that there was no reason to Park Hop, would that make your vacation more or less enjoyable?

danyoung56

But what if the reasons we wanted park hopper could be addressed so that there was no reason to Park Hop, would that make your vacation more or less enjoyable?

But my whole reason for park hopping is that I want to go to another park. It doesn't matter if they pack the MK full of new and incredible E tickets. When the time comes, I'm gonna head for Epcot.

Mawg

But my whole reason for park hopping is that I want to go to another park. It doesn't matter if they pack the MK full of new and incredible E tickets. When the time comes, I'm gonna head for Epcot.

I see your point. Each park is special and park hopper is good for getting back to your favorite park. I'm just saying what if some of the reason why you like EPCOT so much could be addressed in the other parks (not all reasons can and that is what makes each park special), but it would sure be nice to not have to Park Hop to get your moneys worth from your ticket and instead park hop out of want instead of need.

MickeyMomV

Is ok to disagree but you are the second on this thread to manufacture something and then apply it to me as if that is my position. Please read more carefully next time----if you and the other non reader on here are capable.
(((And yes I hop--- I did it 3 days ago, actually. I never said it was pointless. I said guests hop for good reason))
Thanks for proving my point about not reading or not having the basic intellect to understand. Congrats!
I'm pretty sure its not everybody else reading into your posts, its the way all of your posts are written.
"A guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park. If a park were sound enough then one would not leave it to go to another"
From your posts it sounds like the only people that hop are women and there is only one reason to hop. I'm know this because I'm reading carefully, "a guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park". There are many reasons to hop that have nothing to do with a park being "sound enough".

On a side note you can have a opinion that differs from other people without insinuating that they are morons because they don't agree with your point of view.

JohnD

There is no way to successfully do WDW without planning unless you don't want any FP's or do not want to sit to eat at anytime. Not having a Park Hopper only complicates that matter because then every thing you plan for a single day is obligated to be in the one park that you happen to be in. That limits your selections extensively and, as I said, complicates planning extensively.

True. However, when I went with my parents several years back, the schedule was very clear: Epcot for two days. AK one day. No park hopping needed or wanted so we didn't get it. (For them anyway. I hopped into MK with my AP one night when they were ready to return to the resort.)

Pixieish

A guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park. If a park were sound enough then one would not leave it to go to another.
I'm pretty sure its not everybody else reading into your posts, its the way all of your posts are written.
"A guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park. If a park were sound enough then one would not leave it to go to another"
From your posts it sounds like the only people that hop are women and there is only one reason to hop. I'm know this because I'm reading carefully, "a guest only hops when she can not get what she wants in the first park". There are many reasons to hop that have nothing to do with a park being "sound enough".

On a side note you can have a opinion that differs from other people without insinuating that they are morons because they don't agree with your point of view.

Absolutely agree 100%. Especially in a forum, with the lack of body language and tone of voice, word choice is of utmost importance. And if you truly meant what you typed, that's just flawed logic.

We hop for a multitude of reasons...the biggest happens to be that when we visit - which is usually in the fall - three out of the four parks close very early and we're not even close to ready to be done for the day. (The hours seem to get shorter and shorter every year, too...which is annoying as heck.) Or maybe we're on a short trip and don't have an Epcot day planned, but want to try one of the restaurants in WS? It definitely isn't that the parks don't offer enough - it's that they each offer things that are so different, why not mix it up a little instead of staying in one place all day? Our first trip, sure - we tended to stay in one park because there was SO MUCH to see and do and it was all so new to us, but now that we've been back a bunch of times, that kind of touring doesn't suit us anymore.

eliza61nyc

I think we are all missing the point of the OP, we all have reasons for park hopping, we also enjoy it and like the options it give us. But what if the reasons we wanted park hopper could be addressed so that there was no reason to Park Hop, would that make your vacation more or less enjoyable?

No. because you're assuming that the reason one park hops is because there isn't "enough" to do. If they loaded up HS with rides and attractions from dusk to dawn I will still hop. My reasons are diversification. so unless they manage to put an animal park in every park, I'd still hop.

danyoung56

...what if some of the reason why you like EPCOT so much could be addressed in the other parks...

OK, put a huge lagoon in the middle of the MK, and serve alcohol, and have lots of restaurants around the lagoon that all serve alcohol, and maybe I won't need to go to Epcot. To me that reasoning just doesn't hold up. Why would it be to my advantage to have all the parks offering exactly the same thing? I like the vibe of the MK, but then I also like the vibe of Epcot. I spend some time in one, and then some time in the other. What's not to like?

Damon7777

Original Poster
Yes, really. I'd experience the attraction, enjoy it, probably plan to come back the next day to see it, and then leave because it was time to do so. There is absolutely nothing Disney could do, no attraction they could build, to keep me, say, in the MK for an

I believe you (No, I'm not being facetious or sarcastic)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom