Park Closed Early due to crowds

withlovebritt

Original Poster
I'm kind of new..never posted before, but i thought it was necessary to give some news...

We're meeting relatives in Disney tomorrow, and we just received a call from them saying they closed MK at 10am due to the overcrowding as it was a fire hazard...

this might put a damper on our plans as well as some of yours...

CAPTAIN HOOK

I'm kind of new..never posted before, but i thought it was necessary to give some news...

We're meeting relatives in Disney tomorrow, and we just received a call from them saying they closed MK at 10am due to the overcrowding as it was a fire hazard...

this might put a damper on our plans as well as some of yours...

Welcome aboard :wave:

While I can understand a 10am closure on Christmas Day or New Years Eve - November 19th :shrug: - Seems highly unlikely

DisneyGigi

We arrived a few days before Thanksgiving in 2000 and MK was terrible, it closed at 9:30 am Thanksgiving Day at capacity. I don't know about the other 2 days because we gave up and left at about 10-10:30 The wait on Buzz Lightyear was over 90 minutes and you could not move for the people.
There is no way I would ever ever do it again. We spent our whole trip at MGM & DAK.

JJHale

Over the past few years crowds have increased dramatically the week of Thanksgiving to the point that it is one of the busiest times of the year after Christmas and July 4th.

When we first visited WDW in 1992 and 1994 during Thanksgiving the parks were EMPTY. So empty that one morning my daughter got to play hide and seek with Pinnochio in an almost deserted Germany pavilion. When we returned in 1998 the parks were much more crowded but still manageable. We now avoid Thanksgiving week altogether, preferring to visit in mid December when the crowds are much smaller. The best rule of thumb when visiting during a Holiday, arrive early, target only the attractions you feel are a "must see" and be prepared to wait. Good luck!

cristina47454

We went last year the week before Thanksgiving. It was GREAT.(The week of Veteran's day). We went this year at the same time...the crowds were much bigger! Even the fastpass lines were long. Guess I have to find another "slow time" to go. I overheard someone saying that the week before Thanksgiving is now considered to be a busy time of year.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
We went last year the week before Thanksgiving. It was GREAT.(The week of Veteran's day). We went this year at the same time...the crowds were much bigger! Even the fastpass lines were long. Guess I have to find another "slow time" to go. I overheard someone saying that the week before Thanksgiving is now considered to be a busy time of year.

Lets not forget that this year is a bit different too - Thanksgiving falls a week earlier than it normally does. I'm sure that will totally throw next week (a full week of Nov) into a very slow period - while for a normal year - it's not.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is entirely possible that MK hit a phase 1 or 2 closure, there are not that uncommon during holiday weeks especially Christmas, but I doubt it hit a full tilt phase 4 attendance closure.

What do you guys think the odd are of at least 1 phase 4 closure during Christmas week this year?

ada0801

What do you mean by phase 1 - 4. We are going tomorrow and that makes me concerned. We do have MYW tickets so we should still be able to get into the parks right?

lilclerk

What do you mean by phase 1 - 4. We are going tomorrow and that makes me concerned. We do have MYW tickets so we should still be able to get into the parks right?
Get to the park as early as possible. Even if they don't end up having to close, it will still be super busy.
Welcome to the holiday season :xmas:

ada0801

Do you know what the difference in the phases mean? We were planning to only go for the afternoon tomorrow since we will be traveling all day tonight. Is there a possibility that we will not be able to get in? My parents went last year and they never said crowding was a problem.:shrug:

Jerm

I would check with the park itself, nothing has come up as any Advisories to any of the cast members info. If a park does close early they have it up right away. So I would call City Hall and check about that.

J

brkgnews

TOTAL OVERHAUL EDIT:

Found much more current info from earlier this year, originally posted by unkadug...

there are several level of capacity:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=1930563

Phase 1: Guests with MYW base tickets, one day tickets, guests with no admission, and CMs using a main gate are turned around at the Auto Plaza.

Phase 2: Only resort guests, AP/PAP, Park Hoppers, guests re-entering the same park admitted, ONLY if using a taxi or resort transportation. (Auto Plaza is closed)

Phase 3: Only resort guests and AP/PAP admitted. (Only resort transportation)

Phase 4: Closed to all guests. (No incoming transportation)

Moustronaut

Do you know what the difference in the phases mean? We were planning to only go for the afternoon tomorrow since we will be traveling all day tonight. Is there a possibility that we will not be able to get in? My parents went last year and they never said crowding was a problem.:shrug:
I don't know exactly what the details are but they prioritize people getting into the parks. I believe first they close the parks to only current ticket holders (i.e. won't sell anymore tickets that day), then they close the park to everyone but resort guests (i.e. only people staying in a Disney hotel are allowed in), then they just stop letting any more people in.

DOH! i was beat to it

ada0801

Thanks. That makes me feel much better. We are staying on property. I have no idea what kind of tickets we have other than they are park hoppers (we are very lucky that my parents are paying for their 4 adult children). This is our first family vacation in almost a decade so I would hate for us not to get to enjoy it to its fullest. But we will be there for 8 days...I can't image that it will be this bad for the full trip.

lilclerk

Thanks. That makes me feel much better. We are staying on property. I have no idea what kind of tickets we have other than they are park hoppers (we are very lucky that my parents are paying for their 4 adult children). This is our first family vacation in almost a decade so I would hate for us not to get to enjoy it to its fullest. But we will be there for 8 days...I can't image that it will be this bad for the full trip.

Definitely not. Thanksgiving Day and probably this weekend will be pretty bad, but it will most likely die down next week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom