News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Jon81uk

What do most businesses do when they're slow? Offer more to get people in the door. Cutting offerings and raising prices do not win back your customers, especially if you know that you are going up against a tough year.
They have tried this https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...s-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort-in-2019/

These sort of "headlines" might get people to book, but I don't think people really look at hours and the smaller things being cut and it affects their trip. If they aren't the sort of people that read this forum they might not even know Rafiki's planet watch is closing etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
See my problem with this is that the economy is roaring now and attendance numbers are high(generally speaking) There should be no reason for any cuts at all. In a downturn I can see cuts being logical because it reflects the general nature of the business and the attendance numbers collectively follow.

The management mindset right now is guests come last over quarterly numbers. As @xdan0920 said the right way to get more people back in the parks is to increase offerings (expand park hours, shows, etc) to get people in the park, the economy will support it provided people have a motivation to go. (If we were in a negative economy this probably wouldn't work, but we are not in a bad economy.) Management has taken the easy way out and taken the guest for granted on the hope they will return for SWGE. Big risk for the people that don't really care about SWGE or do, but can no longer afford or don't see any value to going to see it.

You don't need to over-extend yourself. Increasing offerings right now won't likely change visiting patterns.. and likely is just waste. At the end of the day, it's still Sept and is not a big vacation time of year. But what Disney shouldn't do is sacrifice their standards month to month to keep the spreadsheet right. The lack of respect for the customer, is the dangerous snowballing behavior.

The trick here is backing expectations back into the idea of 'seasonality' and being able to absorb fluctuations without having to make panic cuts to balance the books.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the StarWars 'pause' is overrated.

If you are a family with 2-3 little kids... you aren't going to hold off on traveling for 2 years. You want a vacation, you're going to do it when your budget allows. The adult fans... sure they are a bit more strategic in how and when you vacation... but I have to imagine that is also offset by the people that go so frequently it's a wash.

I can see the impact being more the 4-6months leading up to SW... not 12-18months out.

The big tourist market isn't that forward thinking... they plan a year and less out.

MickeyMinnieMom

If you are a family with 2-3 little kids... you aren't going to hold off on traveling for 2 years. You want a vacation, you're going to do it when your budget allows.
Sure. But maybe you’ll go somewhere else instead that year then go back — or for the first time.

Anecdotal to be sure, but I know several families doing this (not us!), and read it a lot on boards and social media.

No way to know how large an impact this is (or isn’t), obviously. But we can all speculate... clearly! :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If you are a family with 2-3 little kids... you aren't going to hold off on traveling for 2 years. You want a vacation, you're going to do it when your budget allows. The adult fans... sure they are a bit more strategic in how and when you vacation... but I have to imagine that is also offset by the people that go so frequently it's a wash.

I can see the impact being more the 4-6months leading up to SW... not 12-18months out.

The big tourist market isn't that forward thinking... they plan a year and less out.
Sure. But maybe you’ll go somewhere else instead that year then go back — or for the first time.

Anecdotal to be sure, but I know several families doing this (not us!), and teadnit a lot on boards and social media.

No way to know how large an impact this is (or isn’t).

It’s overrated/stated...we just don’t know by how much.

Most WDW travelers are NOT Star Wars nuts
That have a date circled on the calendar.

I actually think a lot of the nuts aren’t going to break the barricade down...as they harbor some resentment or are more comic con
Types and less magic kingdom types.

Really hard to gauge

MickeyMinnieMom

Posted by Disney... date-based ticket pricing/purchasing beginning 10/16/18... new info or I’ve been asleep on this one?

Mon, September 24, 2018

Walt Disney World Resort Introduces New Online Destination For Vacation Planning, Date-Based Tickets

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

I've been following this thread with interest. The way we are cutting down is to NOT do any of the upcharge events. We go once a yearand twice this year yeah!). The upcharge events, DAK, EMMH, etc are just charging for what used to be free, with admission! IMO. I refuse to pay $l50.00 for 3 extra hours that used to be free, even IF it is less crowded. Disney sure is counting on everyone going, Oh great 3 hours with less people, and not seeing how it used to be free on certain nights. They are banking on that mindset. All of these upcharges make me sick, personally. On party nights, they open the floodgates at 4pm for the extra hours event, and the regular paying guest can't even ride the overcrowded rides, much less walk in the park. I know, this happened to me one time and I had to fight my way out of the park due to the crowds. I will not pay for any of these expensive cupcake parties (even tho I love cupcakes:), or any upcharges. I see them all as taking away what was once free with regular admission and charging for it.
So, rant over, and that is what I do to "cut back" on Disney. Next year if the prices continue to rise, there are more upcharges, etc, less experiences for the guests, then Universal is looking very good!!!

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

It will be interesting to see %increase and when they roll this out. Could speak to how much they really are or aren’t worried about attendance / net profit between now and SWGE...
Posted by Disney... date-based ticket pricing/purchasing beginning 10/16/18... new info or I’ve been asleep on this one?

Mon, September 24, 2018

Walt Disney World Resort Introduces New Online Destination For Vacation Planning, Date-Based Tickets

Sooo... pulling these two posts together... IF this is a net price increase kicking in 10/16/18 (as I’d assume it is), I have doubts that the top brass is SUPER concerned about their soft Fall projections...

... serious doubts if the increase is significant.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've been following this thread with interest. The way we are cutting down is to NOT do any of the upcharge events. We go once a yeard twice this year yeah!). The upcharge events, DAK, EMMH, etc are just charging for what used to be free, with admission! IMO. I refuse to pay $l50.00 for 3 extra hours that used to be free, even IF it is less crowded. Disney sure is counting on everyone going, Oh great 3 hours with less people, and not seeing how it used to be free on certain nights. They are banking on that mindset. All of these upcharges make me sick, personally. On part nights, they open the floodgates at 4pm for the extra hours event, and the regular paying guest can't even ride the overcrowded rides, much less walk in the park. I know, this happened to me one time and I had to fight my way out of the park due to the crowds. I will not pay for any of these expensive cupcake parties (even tho I love cupcakes:), or any upcharges. I see them all as taking away what was once free with regular admission and charging for it.
So, rant over, and that is what I do to "cut back" on Disney. Next year if the prices continue to rise, there are more upcharges, etc, less experiences for the guests, then Universal is looking very good!!!

The problem is that you’re still giving them guaranteed revenue from what you’re NOT Boycotting...

Also...you bring up a dangerous change in thought: the idea that somehow upsells are “standard”...which will screw everyone. Block pricing.

Minnesota disney fan

The problem is that you’re still giving them guaranteed revenue from what you’re NOT Boycotting...

Also...you bring up a dangerous change in thought: the idea that somehow upsells are “standard”...which will screw everyone. Block pricing.

Maybe? We still love Disney and are trying to find ways to go without supporting all the extra money grabs. Not a very popular idea, I guess, as people seem to love spending money on them. We never will. It's hard to balance a love of Disney vs all this stuff that is happening, seemingly weekly now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe? We still love Disney and are trying to find ways to go without supporting all the extra money grabs. Not a very popular idea, I guess, as people seem to love spending money on them. We never will. It's hard to balance a love of Disney vs all this stuff that is happening, seemingly weekly now.

My point is you are spending your money on them. Maybe not on the highest profit things...but still.

You and i are a lot alike: still loving it but acknowledging we are being thoroughly messed with by a rat

tirian

Mon, September 24, 2018

Yes, this is necessary because guests have been complaining their trips are too complicated.

Expect more “helpful” sites to launch as Disney continues overcomplicating matters, because the same reservations process that worked for decades suddenly isn’t good enough for modern leaders who want to put their own stamps on things.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, this is necessary because guests have been complaining their trips are too complicated.

Expect more “helpful” sites to launch as Disney continues overcomplicating matters, because the same reservations process that worked for decades suddenly isn’t good enough for modern leaders who want to put their own stamps on things.

I had the same thought:

Helpful sites that coordinate more overspending and overscheduling.

...but I don’t want to be labeled “negative” 🤭

boufa

That’s a messed up comment.
Why? It was a hurricane last year. Which is rain. (and wind etc) but my point is, why do people let last years forecast and events, effect this year travels. There is no reason to believe in any real way that this year will see a hurricane. In fact, the odds of you traveling to Disney and getting your vacation ruined by a tropical storm or worse are very, very, very small.

Now if people don't want to go during the summer because it's hot, or the afternoon storms, then sure... that makes sense because it is always hot and afternoon storms during certain times of the year... but hurricanes are a rarity, even in Florida.

disneyflush

Overcomplicating a vacation takes away so much of what makes it appealing. I can't wait for the school year to end and then take the kids down to Disney. It will be a great break from having scheduled time slots all day, specific times they have to eat, penalties for running late, dealing with crowded walkways, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom