News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don't think your "sky is falling at WDW" soapbox collapsed a long time ago? Goodness.

I actually was ignoring you since the day after I joined here -- I recognized your condescending rants immediately. Their absence on another board were an improvement to me over there, so I wanted to keep that going here. A couple of discussions became tough to follow so I temporarily unignored. No worries -- it's back on now. I'd say everyone will be happy now, but that's not your bag.
Here’s a couple of my soapboxes from the old neighborhood:

The dining plan will result in higher prices and fewer options/quality if it catches on... (circa 2005-2009 on another site)
Watch out for the discounts...it’s a bait and switch to raise hotel prices massively on the other side of the recession (circa 2008-2013)

How’d I do??

And since you ignored me...you won’t mind if I state that you remind me of someone “Jaded”

Wayyyyy too much.

kong1802

Yup. I suppose they shouldn't use technology this way... because it's... ... ... unseemly? Not what Walt would have done? Doesn't foster the development of "intelligent consumers"? Prices out more people (even though this has always been a reality)? Makes your trip today not precisely what it was 20yrs ago?

I think the main point many are making about this, including myself, is that by what was witnessed earlier this year, they are towing that line too closely. They are manipulating the system to where you are waiting the same in February than you are during Christmas week (definitely extreme).

It's hard to ignore the ulterior motives. It's my opinion that they are actively looking to reduce the minimum ride for satisfaction per day. I would guess before FP+ that number was closer to 11 or 12. They would be 100% thrilled if they got that number down to 7-8 year around.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the main point many are making about this, including myself, is that by what was witnessed earlier this year, they are towing that line too closely. They are manipulating the system to where you are waiting the same in February than you are during Christmas week (definitely extreme).

It's hard to ignore the ulterior motives. It's my opinion that they are actively looking to reduce the minimum ride for satisfaction per day. I would guess before FP+ that number was closer to 11 or 12. They would be 100% thrilled if they got that number down to 7-8 year around.

Exactly...

Friends here fall into 3 general categories:
1. You get this and are a bit worried
2. You acknowledge the existence of this and will watch it further
3. You make apologies and by doing so - make a fool of yourself.

Don’t shoot for #3

Hayley In Wonderland

Yep.

Shame about TSL. Many people actually do like it from what I can tell, but it's an "it is what it is" kind of thing, lol. It wasn't ever going to resonate like other lands do. I think the slashing of budget for the land didn't help matters. It's nice enough for what it is, but they really should have gone full out like the original intent was. Could have been so much more. It's still a draw because it's a new land in a park that desperately needed someplace new to walk around.

Did they actually expect the watered down TSL to be the draw of a Pandora, Potter, Cars Land or SW Land?

And yep, everyone not under a rock knows SW Land opens next year (so they're waiting). There also usually seems to be a slump around this time anyway, no? Why is there sudden panic?
I think announcing it around the same time of SW:GE was a mistake, because people would automatically be far more excited for SW and overlook TSL.

MickeyMinnieMom

@kong1802, I don't think any of this is implausible at all.

They have the incentive to decrease avg. # rides per day -- right up to the point where their profit equation results take a nosedive (profit/guest x # guests) -- this increases the demand for the $$ add-ons and up-sells (EMM, DAH, etc.). This changes the composition of the customer base in ways that I can understand some not liking.

My real complaint comes in when they overcorrect or don't reverse out quickly enough -- they risk REALLY alienating guests. I think they overshot last Jan-Feb. Aug2016 they reduced hours far too much -- they fixed that in Aug2017 -- so they do learn from experience at times. I wonder if they're in the midst of overshooting again right now -- I'll wait and see.

It's complex, and trying to dial it too carefully with their nifty tech does have its risks.

In the long arc of Disney history, I think they get more right than wrong and will continue to. And that they will get better at dialing finely. I'll still complain when they get it wrong, mind you... but I won't forecast impending doom... pretending that Disney doesn't have a track record of righting the ship when they do go wrong. That's where I can't join in with a pitchfork. Not my thing. :)

I appreciate your thoughtful response, btw - thanks! :)

Another POV -- If I have the luxury to travel in mid-Sep or Oct, am I entitled to a better customer experience than those who can only visit in the summer or on holidays...?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Go read that thread. Multiple people who say they were there during that week.

Indeed, I have mastered the art of reading...

I was there that day! It was insane. You could hardly walk around in any of the stores. I’ve never seen Epcot that busy before!

We’ve been three times during the week and once on this Saturday - all four times were enjoyable, it’s just about knowing your way around. If I had never been before and this Saturday was my first time, I’d probably cry.

SpaceMountain77

We are visiting Epcot today for the International Food & Wine Festival. Four classes are scheduled for today, but only one is sold out. The Festival Stage appears to accommodate over 120 guests, however, the first seminar is only set for 36 guests. We have been visiting this same weekend since 2015 and have not experienced a seminar that was not sold out or near capacity.

Attachments

• 145713B8-CC80-402E-AE72-DE1659A1DD75.jpeg
    145713B8-CC80-402E-AE72-DE1659A1DD75.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 05569160-D825-448D-A641-02588B3A71FF.jpeg
    05569160-D825-448D-A641-02588B3A71FF.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 60

kong1802

@kong1802, I don't think any of this is implausible at all.

They have the incentive to decrease avg. # rides per day -- right up to the point where their profit equation results take a nosedive (profit/guest x # guests) -- this increases the demand for the $$ add-ons and up-sells (EMM, DAH, etc.). This changes the composition of the customer base in ways that I can understand some not liking.

My real complaint comes in when they overcorrect or don't reverse out quickly enough -- they risk REALLY alienating guests. I think they overshot last Jan-Feb. Aug2016 they reduced hours far too much -- they fixed that in Aug2017 -- so they do learn from experience at times. I wonder if they're in the midst of overshooting again right now -- I'll wait and see.

It's complex, and trying to dial it too carefully with their nifty tech does have its risks.

In the long arc of Disney history, I think they get more right than wrong and will continue to. And that they will get better at dialing finely. I'll still complain when they get it wrong, mind you... but I won't forecast impending doom... pretending that Disney doesn't have a track record of righting the ship when they do go wrong. That's where I can't join in with a pitchfork. Not my thing. :)

I appreciate your thoughtful response, btw - thanks! :)

Another POV -- If I have the luxury to travel in mid-Sep or Oct, am I entitled to a better customer experience than those who can only visit in the summer or on holidays...?

It is definitely complex and there is a long arc of history as you point out. I'm sure from day one, especially in Otown, there were naysayers.."You are doing what to the swampland!"...I don't think that these changes or future changes will spell doom for them. I do think that some of what they are doing with these upsells and FP+ will make it harder for them to pivot, should they need to down the road.

That is one POV. I don't know if it's fair or not, but if I eat at a popular place around 3PM on a Tuesday I give less "leeway" when there is bad service than I would if it were Friday night at 7PM.....There's excuses on the busy times and days......if that makes any sense...

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I’d call my doctor if “softness” lasted more than 4 hours or there was any heart irregularities

Cindy’s Castle, Spaceship Earth, ToT, and the Tree of Life have all gone flaccid. For a minimum of $108.63/day, you can reverse this trend. That’s equivalent to a decent table service meal for a family of 4 in your hometown.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Variations from weekdays to weekends are pretty common in the fall.

I believe the overall “soft” assessment to be plausible in the greater context

In the whole overall discussion of this being a 'soft' period, I have espoused reasons why it's soft, which implies I agree that it has been 'soft.' I have never denied that this September is soft. However, it's not the ghost town some have made it out to be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In the whole overall discussion of this being a 'soft' period, I have espoused reasons why it's soft, which implies I agree that it has been 'soft.' I have never denied that this September is soft. However, it's not the ghost town some have made it out to be.

I agree...

Definitely “soft” in the context of booming economy (that’s a bet dangerous term) and large increases in pricing for several years...

But not empty. That doesn’t happen anymore the way it once did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom