News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

EPICOT

They probably recycled this hubcap into the Incredibles logo.... would explain the rust.
sunshine_hubcap2007ww.jpg

FerretAfros

They probably recycled this hubcap into the Incredibles logo.... would explain the rust.
sunshine_hubcap2007ww.jpg
Ironically, during DCA's opening day press push, they made a big deal out of how the Sun Icon was created out of cutting-edge high-end alloys that wouldn't fade or corrode for thousands of years. I forget the exact number and can't find it online in a quick search, but it was something ridiculous like 30,000 years. While adjacent to the wave fountain, it wasn't actually part of it; it only got wet during Anaheim's infrequent rain a couple days each year. Yet it lasted less than a decade before being removed.

Fast forward to Pixar Pier, where they have a metal element that is integral to a fountain, and they can't even be bothered to make it out of regular old stainless steel or to galvanize it.

Perhaps this would be a good place to mention that Pixar Pier's budget to redecorate existing facilities is more than 4 times the budget to build the Sunshine Plaza from scratch. This isn't WDI cutting corners because their hands are tied; that was DCA 1.0, which (despite its many faults) laid pretty good ground work for the future. These are unforced errors that only highlight just how mismanaged the organization is today.

bhodge

37 million. That’s what Dollywood is adding an entire new area for. Shop, restaurant, indoor playscape, suspended coaster, 5 “off the shelf, heavily dressed up a-la bugs land” rides. Major land recontouring, all new infrastructure, overa million dollars in new landscaping to fill in what has to be removed for construction. New “characters” for walk around and meet and greet. 37 million. For 150 mill DCA got..... paint, rust, unfinished BingBongs, plastic statues that had to be custom sculpted to match a scale model that wasn’t needed. I’m almost embarrassed to say I’m a “Disney Parks” fan right now.

Cmdr_Crimson

So with Pixar Pier now in full swing..Was there ever a thought of Paradise Pier hotel becoming Pixar Pier hotel? You'd think that would have been a Phase 2 plan plus it would be the first Pixar themed hotel on the resort..

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

37 million. That’s what Dollywood is adding an entire new area for. Shop, restaurant, indoor playscape, suspended coaster, 5 “off the shelf, heavily dressed up a-la bugs land” rides. Major land recontouring, all new infrastructure, overa million dollars in new landscaping to fill in what has to be removed for construction. New “characters” for walk around and meet and greet. 37 million. For 150 mill DCA got..... paint, rust, unfinished BingBongs, plastic statues that had to be custom sculpted to match a scale model that wasn’t needed. I’m almost embarrassed to say I’m a “Disney Parks” fan right now.

Not to mention Dollywood's new land will be completely finished and ready for guests by next year. Something similar at Disney would take 3-4 years minimum from announcement to opening.

Phroobar

Heck even Six Flags can throw together a ride after six months of site prep and a month of construction. Coasters do take a year though.

Rich T

My sister and her husband just got back from DLR. They had a nice time overall, but they said Pixar Pier looked like Disney just threw some new signage and paint around, and that it looked as if the company had hardly spent any money at all.

150 million... Jetson, you're fired.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I worked somewhere that used brushed stainless steel in a fountain. We had to empty it once a week and clean it, use stainless steel cleaner etc. Quite a process.
Ops: "We can't use stainless steel. We'd have to empty the fountain once a week and clean it."
Imagineer: "But it looks so pretty."
Project manager: "Stainless steel approved."

bhodge

Not to mention Dollywood's new land will be completely finished and ready for guests by next year. Something similar at Disney would take 3-4 years minimum from announcement to opening.
yeah - forgot to mention THAT part. Its dirt right now and will be operational in 6-9 months.

lazyboy97o

These are unforced errors that only highlight just how mismanaged the organization is today.
This! The fountain is emblematic of arrogance mixed with not enough knowledge. The landscape architect, aquatic engineer, aquatic contractor and local facility team all should have recognized the problem, said something and their advice headed.

Herschend provides the great counter point earlier this year with Time Traveler. For just over half the cost of Slinky Dog Dash, Silver Dollar City also received a Mack coaster with two launches. Silver Dollar City is also much further from a port, built in hilly woods and the area has higher construction labor costs.

bhodge

This! The fountain is emblematic of arrogance mixed with not enough knowledge. The landscape architect, aquatic engineer, aquatic contractor and local facility team all should have recognized the problem, said something and their advice headed.

Herschend provides the great counter point earlier this year with Time Traveler. For just over half the cost of Slinky Dog Dash, Silver Dollar City also received a Mack coaster with two launches. Silver Dollar City is also much further from a port, built in hilly woods and the area has higher construction labor costs.
And Disney can’t even use the “but it’s exposed track and supports makes it cheaper and quicker” argument anymore.

Ismael Flores

I think the water flow pressure in the fountain is to low. another issue is the landscape they picked, they should have more interesting plants in those planters around the fountain. The concrete look with the low level plants they added don't seem to work. Maybe some hanging plats that would give the concrete walls some color.

Another option could have been to have the artist that painted the murals paint another piece of colorful art within some of that concrete around the fountain. That would give a focal point to the nice tile work and incredible logo that make up the fountain.

The lighting also need to be twicked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom